What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Buds turning brown and dies right before harvest

Bushtown

Anyone seen this before? I have been dealing with bud-rot plenty of times before and this does not look like it, been looking carefully but can't see any mold.

Just posting the pics here so i can learn from this problem for future situations.

Greets from Bushtown
1000015386.jpg
2024-08-1313.22.385767122584965984847.jpg
2024-08-1313.24.086282530474012469913.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Sorry, you are running into this problem friend. Looking at the infected bud I can see that the bud denseness has shut out water transpiration. Water can't escape and gets trapped in the stem causing stem and tissue damage.

More airflow will help but less water will help more. When flowers get dense it's time to cut the water intake way back. Give the plants just enough liquid to stay alive in the last days of flowering. Letting some of the leaves fade to yellow is better than bud rot. Cut the water in the end friend.

Bushtown

What a nightmare, i was sure it was something else since i cant see any mold just dead material. This is sad news.
Do you guys think all my buds are hazardous or shall i keep all that has not turned brown ?

Bushtown

When a leaf that's living in a bud, turns yellow, remove it at the stem. Don't leave it on the plant.
Will keep this in mind for the next time, had a very thick scrog with buds and i have been trimming some exess leaves and many dead ones might have been laying around

Reactions: GMT

Bushtown

That's budrot.

1. Get rid of all the infected parts.
2. Increase airflow.

If it doesn't change,

3. Harvest now.
How careful would you be ? Only skip the clearly infected parts or barely not smoke any of it ? As for me i guess its ok if there would be some traces, i just dont want to end up giving a friend something that will harm him/her

Bushtown

Sorry, you are running into this problem friend. Looking at the infected bud I can see that the bud denseness has shut out water transpiration. Water can't escape and gets trapped in the stem causing stem and tissue damage.

More airflow will help but less water will help more. When flowers get dense it's time to cut the water intake way back. Give the plants just enough liquid to stay alive in the last days of flowering. Letting some of the leaves fade to yellow is better than bud rot. Cut the water in the end friend.
Thank you for the tips, this is the worst, right in the happiness moment as well 🥲Now my question is how bad is it ? Can i smoke most of it except the brown stuff without getting health problems or is all my harvest ruined ?

CocoNut 420

What a nightmare, i was sure it was something else since i cant see any mold just dead material. This is sad news.
Do you guys think all my buds are hazardous or shall i keep all that has not turned brown ?
I think the other buds will be ok if they look healthy?

I read somewhere bud rot grows inside the plant and we only see the fruiting body as spores, it can or will spread given the opportunity.

Ime bud rot is more probable with yellowing, dead and dying leafs giving rot the opportunity healthy growth can resists it better.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
How careful would you be ? Only skip the clearly infected parts or barely not smoke any of it ? As for me i guess its ok if there would be some traces, i just dont want to end up giving a friend something that will harm him/her
I would be extremely ruthless in removing any infected or even discolored looking part.

Basically if you don't remove it all, you're going to lose more material.

If you don't harvest them immediately, I would start a flush to reduce nutrient content. Because too many nutrients at this stage can also add to budrot.

So the ting to do is to at least remove the infected branches, which will create more airflow.

And reduce humidity.

On a side note...

These fat buds are really designed for the desert. They practically attract moisture from very dry air. The original Afghani landrace strain that today's large nug weed descends from grew in very dry regions of the world.

The wetter, tropical regions have buds that are more stretched out, and designed to remove excess moisture.

You should check out the Pak and Afghan cannabis seeds videos.

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Molded buds = all of it even the ones with no visual mold ?
Friend I have never heard of anyone dying or being poisoned from a smoking little mold. Back in the old days, we would run into Mexican and Colombian bricks that had mold in the weed. Most of the people from back then are dead now but I don't think it was the weed that caused their demise. Learning from mistakes is a golden opportunity to grow. You learning from this is what matters most.

Rocket Soul

If you have had repeated bouts of bud rot:
- need lower rh, it can sometimes be compensated by:
- better air movement in the space, both on top of cannopy but essential below and thru cannopy. If your only measuring rh on top inside and under cannopy it will be much higher
- check on it there is anything that could cause mold in the airducts or from the space where you draw air. After several problems with rots and pm we realized that beside our intake there was a rotting tree; cut it down and dispose and end of problem

Bushtown

I would be extremely ruthless in removing any infected or even discolored looking part.

Basically if you don't remove it all, you're going to lose more material.

If you don't harvest them immediately, I would start a flush to reduce nutrient content. Because too many nutrients at this stage can also add to budrot.

So the ting to do is to at least remove the infected branches, which will create more airflow.

And reduce humidity.

On a side note...

These fat buds are really designed for the desert. They practically attract moisture from very dry air. The original Afghani landrace strain that today's large nug weed descends from grew in very dry regions of the world.

The wetter, tropical regions have buds that are more stretched out, and designed to remove excess moisture.

You should check out the Pak and Afghan cannabis seeds videos.
Thank you for great answer, im well aware that dense buds molds more easy, this strain is honey melon haze that i grown before two times with no problem, one pheno are less dense and more sativa and it had way less problems than the more indica, dense honey chemical smelling pheno. I have good ventilation and been using a dehumidifier, its just that the scandinavian climate becomes humid like the bloody amazon this time of the year. And everytime i ran into this problem before was in the same time of the year 😮‍💨 but i will definitely check out the most mold resistant strain for the summertime and try to be even more precise with my climate system in the future. It truly sucks when you start feeling happy and this happens right before the finish line. The worst part is that you are suspicious even with the non visually molded buds and it kindof ruins the vibe. But im staying positive and learning from this and moving onward forward.

Bushtown

Friend I have never heard of anyone dying or being poisoned from a smoking little mold. Back in the old days, we would run into Mexican and Colombian bricks that had mold in the weed. Most of the people from back then are dead now but I don't think it was the weed that caused their demise. Learning from mistakes is a golden opportunity to grow. You learning from this is what matters most.
Thanks for the positive perspective, i agreed back in the days we got high on all kinds of shit and dirty hash and who knows how many times i had mold when growing without knowledge back in the days and still smoked it and still feeling healthier than ever so you are right. Positive is the way to go

Bushtown

If you have had repeated bouts of bud rot:
- need lower rh, it can sometimes be compensated by:
- better air movement in the space, both on top of cannopy but essential below and thru cannopy. If your only measuring rh on top inside and under cannopy it will be much higher
- check on it there is anything that could cause mold in the airducts or from the space where you draw air. After several problems with rots and pm we realized that beside our intake there was a rotting tree; cut it down and dispose and end of problem
Yes i thought i learned from previous problems, but got too comfortable again so o did what you said. I cut them down without even a proper flush and will make the best of it and learn. Im would gladely take recommendations of your favorite mold resistant strains from you guys.
Pink kush was an amazing plant i had for 7 years alive and it never molded. Lovely narcotic weed that will make you eat until you sleep.