What's new

Bubba 18 - Pre98 Bubba Kush x X18. Info and grow-along.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks folks, seems like the whole Northern hemisphere of growers is suffering from similar things. If my power went i'd have to bring the plants into the house to save them!
LEDs are so good these days that you need all your 'ducks in a row' to keep up with the photosynthesis in veg.
Ive been using them for years and a while back, before they got so efficient, they were great for veg and ok for flower. Ive been tempted to go and dig a really old LED light out of the attic to use for veg! (of course now they're great for flower.. but too strong for veg unless the conditions are pretty perfect)

Good luck! Sounds very interesting - everything bubbaaaaaa :D

Thanks! i seriously have a whole barrage of bubba related releases coming along this year! :D

VG

Last edited:

Felice

That sounds amazing VG - already looked through your Bubba Pre-98 diary and have to say - it definitely made it on my list :)

About the LED temperature issues, I currently run a heat mat under my plants, switchin on and off together with the ventilation, every 15 minutes. Though I have the feeling that heat from below the soil is not the optimal solution. I might add 1 more led bar and take out the heat map - power consumption wise it will be the same anywas...

Anyways, happy growing!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Felice, i bought a heat mat too a few weeks ago and found it helps! I think if you can raise the soil temps (especially in organic like me) .. you can get away with lower air temps. I also bought a probe thermometer. i like the soil to be 70+ or ideally 75 C

I did find that the mat can make the soil temps a bit too high sometimes but the plants didn;t seem to suffer.

all these things help a bit i find. The other problem when it has been freezing temps is that the humidity is Zero which doesnt help... and as you warm the air the relative humidity goes down.
Next winter maybe i'll scale things down for the coldest bit.
VG

Jestocost

All of this is correct. A heat mat works best - in my experience - under a 3-4” tall soda or beer plastic crate that the small pots are resting on. That way it creates warm air, instead of directly heating the pots.

VG, whether or not I lose these seedlings I’m going to order and run some of your fem Bubba once the damned weather settles here.

Good luck.

Hey Felice, i bought a heat mat too a few weeks ago and found it helps! I think if you can raise the soil temps (especially in organic like me) .. you can get away with lower air temps. I also bought a probe thermometer. i like the soil to be 70+ or ideally 75 C

I did find that the mat can make the soil temps a bit too high sometimes but the plants didn;t seem to suffer.

all these things help a bit i find. The other problem when it has been freezing temps is that the humidity is Zero which doesnt help... and as you warm the air the relative humidity goes down.
Next winter maybe i'll scale things down for the coldest bit.
VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for stopping by Ganja!

Jestocost, good luck with you seedlings, the can take quite a bit of cold and survive.. they just don't grow.

VG

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have a heat mat under my sprouts, but the dixie cups the way I invert the bottom one that has the lower half cut out, avoids contact with the mat. I think that the heat has helped keep the bottom of the soil dryer, opposite of what the SIP will do.

I can't see why a blue flame propane eater wouldn't help a lot, adds heat, moisture, and CO2. In the closet I have my sprouts in, there is a space heater and I have tee shirts hung that I spray water onto to keep them wet. The Rh goes up to mid 40's from low 20's, and I try to keep the temp at 72 with that humidity, to keep the veg VPD in the green. A blue flame wall heater will probably get put in my tent room. In a house they cause issues with the moisture, but we vent the room's moisture through the tents to the outside. Plus, they need no power.

Man I feel for the folks in the mid section of the country without power. Generator and wood stove sales guy will be busy.

Jestocost

Once good temps are reestablished will they pick up again?

Thank is for your input

thanks for stopping by Ganja!

Jestocost, good luck with you seedlings, the can take quite a bit of cold and survive.. they just don't grow.

VG

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes, as long as they are alive, they should perk up when the temps go highter

Some people keep unrooted cuttings in the fridge as a backup.. as soon as you put them in a rooter and warm temps they will start where they left off.

flylowtogethigh - i'll be interested in how you get on with the propane heater!

jakespeed

Veteran
im still in , cold rooms slowed me down abit, I will have 7 to show heres 4 , they are kickin now
picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice one js, seems like a lot of us are being held back by the cold weather atm... like you say, looks like your's are perking up a bit and on the way .

VG

Jestocost

Looking good. Yeah, I think I lost 10-14 days of veg to a week of no-power cold. At least I know the plants are survivors.

Good luck with everything.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Glad they made it jesto... as long as the roots don't rot or the plants actually freeze, they tend just to slow right down in the cold, and recover when it warms up again.

Jestocost

VG, are your Bubbas a little finicky in veg?

Not asking critically - I’ve read that’s a common trait with all true BKs.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi jesto, i wouldn't say 'finicky' as such.. which to me means fussy about nutes etc.. but the bubba is quite a slow vegging plant and will only veg faster if it has a good soil and plenty of rootspace. It is quite tolerant of a range of nute strengths... some people push it quite hard, but i find it does just as well with moderate nutrition and the finished buds are better that way.
VG

Jestocost

Much better way of putting it- thank you.

Hi jesto, i wouldn't say 'finicky' as such.. which to me means fussy about nutes etc.. but the bubba is quite a slow vegging plant and will only veg faster if it has a good soil and plenty of rootspace. It is quite tolerant of a range of nute strengths... some people push it quite hard, but i find it does just as well with moderate nutrition and the finished buds are better that way.
VG

jakespeed

Veteran
[No message]

Attachments

• photo2026380.jpg
    photo2026380.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 39
  • photo2026381.jpg
    photo2026381.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 41
  • photo2026382.jpg
    photo2026382.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 43

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good stuff js, the 4 big ones are well on their way now! and well done for managing to post some pics... i took some of mine this morning but still trying to upload them somehow....

Latest posts

Latest posts