What's new

Breeding books

G

what books should a breeder have in her/his library? :chin:

i know gypsy has reccomended Rob Clarks 'Marijuana Botany'

have Dj Short's book, Soma's book on the way.

anyone know anything about this book?
The Cannabis Breeder's Bible

Last edited:

suzycremecheese

~Genetics for dummies... especially if its been a while since you had bio or have been to school.
~Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties by Deppe
~Breeding Field Crops by poehlman and sleper.
~At least one current college level genetics textbook.
~A current college level textbook on population genetics.
~A current college level textbook on Botany.

Thats a good start.

G

~Genetics for dummies... especially if its been a while since you had bio or have been to school.

Just ordered this one for myself, about time i stocked the library with some 'real' books..

Thanks for the list.

Peace, hhf

L

longshot

Hi ketchup,

Marijuana botany by Clarke is an absolute essential...

...but I would give the Cannabis Breeders Bible a wide berth. It's not a bad book, just a waste of money as all the information contained within it's pages is easily available on the forums.....it's almost as if the author has just copied and pasted the info into the book ;)

Hope that helps,
longshot

zamalito

Veteran
I'm a big book nerd. Frequent used book stores as much as you can but here's my favorites.

Cannabis and Culture by Vera Rubin this book is The Book everyone should have. Vera Rubin is absolute genius as well as some of thos who gave the lectures that comprise this book like Brian M Du Toit.

Anything by Brian M Du Toit especially Cannabis In Africa: an ethnographic study however you'll have to be very luck to find this for under $1,000

Plant Breeding: The Arnel R. Hallauer International Symposium, I just bought this one and I'm currently just skimming it however its by far the best I've seen on plant breeding

What Is Life? by Schroedinger this is written by the famous mathmatician (oxymoron, lol) this book is what started the search for DNA

Out Of Chaos by Halle This is What started the study of complexity.

The History of Food by Tannahill

Hemp Diseases And Pests by R.C Clarke and D. Watson

Hashish! By R.C Clarke

G

mel thomas wrote "cannabis cultivation" a complete grower's guide ...

published by green candy press, san fran,ca copyright 2002

this one is very good ...

peace ... nexus

G

I brought a pdf from FIBL Dossier, Plant Breeding Techniques, An Evaluation for Organic Plant Breeding. September 2001.

24 pages where explain some breeding techniques, but the author don´t go deep on them (approach, application, pros and con).

G

Encyclopedic Dictionary of Plant Breeding,Schlegel,2003,ISBN 1560229500

Plant Breeding- Hayward,et.al.,1993,ISBN 0412433907

Principles of Cultivar Development,theory and technique,Fehr,1987,ISBN0070203458

Selection Methods in Plant Breeding,Bos,Caligari,1995 ISBN0412553309
Plant Breeding Reviews Vol 23,2004,ISBN 047135421-X

Evolutionary Ecology,concepts and case studies, Fox et.al.,2001,ISBN 019513155-X

Principles and Procedures of Plant Breeding,biotechnological and conventional approaches,Chahal,Gosal,2002, ISBN 084931321-X

Quantitative Genetics and Selection in Plant Breeding,Wricke,Weber, 1986,ISBN 311007561X

Molecular Genetics of Plant Development,Howell,1998, ISBN0521587840

Principles of Plant Breeding, Second Ed.,Allard,1999, ISBN0471023094

Genetics,Principles and Analysis 4th Edit.,Hartl,Jones,1998,ISBN 076370489-X

Genetic Improvement of Vegetable Crops,Kaloo,Bergh,1993,ISBN 0080408265

Selection Indices and Prediction of Genetic Merit in Animal Breeding, Cameron 1997, ISBN 0851991696

Dictionary of Modern Biology,Rudin,1997, ISBN 0812095162

Elsevier's Dictionary of Plant Genetic Resources,1991, ISBN 0444889590

Breeding Field Crops,Poehlman,1995,ISBN,0813824273

Androgenesis and Haploid Plants,Chupeau,Caboche,Henry,1998,ISBN 3540640258

The Cartoon Guide to Genetics,Gonick,Wheelis,1983,ISBN 0062730991

Hybrid Seed Production in Vegetables,rationale and methods in selected crops,Basra,2000,ISBN 1560220740

Breeding Ornamental Plants Callaway/Callaway 2000,ISBN 0881924822

Advances in Hemp Research, Ranalli,1999,ISBN 1560228725

Principles of Statistics, Bulmer,1967,1979, ISBN 0486637603

Forgotten Statistics, Downing,Clark,1996, ISBN 0812097130

zamalito

Veteran
That's a good sounding stack-o-books hf. I really don't have many plant breeding books. I need to spend less on historical anthropological books.

G

I need to spend less on historical anthropological books.

Not sure on that... :chin:
That's a good sounding stack-o-books hf

This list was originally eXe's or Hybes reading list..ive found it useful indeed.

Should have qualified that, apologies..

Peace, hhf

alaeddin

Hey Zamalito, I'd like to make some research on the anthropology and history of cannabis, what other books would you recommend for this? I'm specially interested in its use by the shamans of central asian nomadic people in the ancient times and its place in Islam when these shamanic people converted to it.

I'm currently reading "The Botany of Desire" by Michael Pollan, haven't reached the chapter on cannabis yet in the book but he makes some interesting points. It's of a nice sum of easily readable anectodes though, more than something heavily scientific.

I've finished the book and I specially liked the section on cannabis, being very objective, it is the most interesting and best written part.

Last edited:
HothouseFlowers said:
Not sure on that... :chin:

This list was originally eXe's or Hybes reading list..ive found it useful indeed.

Should have qualified that, apologies..

Peace, hhf

that's one of the lists we remember from CW / OG . . .

Vic High also had one that shared a few selections but also had a few others that were unique . . . we're sorry that we didn't save that one too . . .

a list of books is nice . . . but bibliography's are MUCH more useful if they are annotated . . . that is if they include notes . . . with that in mind . . . we'll try to make a few comments about the volumes we are familar with or have in our library . . .

2. Plant Breeding- Hayward,et.al.,1993,ISBN 0412433907

out of print - we attempted to source this book a while back without success . . . so it’s hard to put on an “essential” list if it’s not really available . . .

3. Principles of Cultivar Development,theory and technique,Fehr,1987,ISBN0070203458

we really like this one. . . it’s clearly written and fairly simple to understand . . . and we prefer it to Poehlman’s Breeding Field Crops which Suzy commonly suggests . . . it can usually be found used at reasonable costs which is another + . . .

6. Principles and Procedures of Plant Breeding,biotechnological and conventional approaches,Chahal,Gosal,2002, ISBN 084931321-X

a nice text with some advanced info . . . but not exactly filled with information that’s accessible and important to most cannabis breeders . . . we’ve read thru this one but really don’t suggest it as essential . . .

9. Principles of Plant Breeding, Second Ed.,Allard,1999, ISBN0471023094

Allard’s book is a classic . . . it’s not terribly easy to read . . . but it’s well worth taking the time to wade thru it . . .

10. Genetics,Principles and Analysis 4th Edit.,Hartl,Jones,1998,ISBN 076370489-X

Hartl’s text seems to be the standard introduction to genetics . . . we’ve read thru this one and it’s certainly a comprehensive introduction to principle of genetics . . . probably far more here than the average cannabis breeder would HAVE to know . . . but it does provide a VERY solid and comprehensive intro . . .

15. Breeding Field Crops,Poehlman,1995,ISBN,0813824273

a very nice basic introduction to plant breeding . . . Suzy recommends this book very highly . . . so we did have to give it a look . . . we still prefer Fehr’s book that we commented on earlier . . . but that’s a personal preference . . . and some might find Poehlman’s book easier to read and comprehend . . .

17. The Cartoon Guide to Genetics,Gonick,Wheelis,1983,ISBN 0062730991

very nice intro to genetics . . . probably the best basic description of genetics we are aware of . . . an absolute essential for anyone who’s not already well equipped with a strong background in genetics . . . and a decent refresher even for folks who may have aced their genetics courses in college some years ago . . .

20. Advances in Hemp Research, Ranalli,1999,ISBN 1560228725

an interesting little book . . . one of the only things on this list that’s cannabis specific . . . there are some things of interest to cannabis breeders here if they are willing to go thru the whole thing carefully . . . but most of it’s not an easy read . . . and because it’s compiled articles from a number of different authors . . . it’s quality is somewhat uneven . . .

someday we're going to re-start a project we began long ago . . . a more comprehensive guide to building a "breeders library" . . . we have a number of suggestions above and beyond what's listed here . . . so it's a bit tedious to sort and compile with proper notes . . . and we don't always agree ourselves on what's absolutely essential . . . so we have more discussions to make among our own collective . . .

HothouseFlowers has seen the earliest uncompleted version . . . it would probably be too much to hope that he (or anyone else) might have saved the original???

so little time . . . so much to write . . .

heck . . . we've got a review of a single book by Jorge Cervantes that's currently sitting at 11 full pages in length on a word processor . . . and it's still not quite finished . . . Jorge isn't a real big fan of ours since we vocally disagree with him on a number of things he writes . . . so any criticism we make of him would likely draw some complaints . . . as qwell as Jorge calling for our heads . . . and we're not sure we want to revisit all that again . . .

so maybe we should concentrate on getting our old "breeder's bookshelf" idea in some kind of form to post here . . . while it's a big project it's less likely to cause us a bunch of grief than pointing out mistakes by Cervantes . . .

alaeddin said:
I'm currently reading "The Botany of Desire" by Michael Pollan, haven't reached the chapter on cannabis yet in the book but he makes some interesting points. It's of a nice sum of easily readable anectodes though, more than something heavily scientific.

I've finished the book and I specially liked the section on cannabis, being very objective, it is the most interesting and best written part.

Pollan does a darn good job with that book . . . there's a number of interesting and thought provoking anecdotes . . . the essay on "Tulip Mania" and the Dutch is certainly "on topic" for anybody who's seen highly competetive seed auctions get crazy back in the old days of C-bay . . . we once watched a single pack of 10 seeds sell for in excess of $1000 . . . so certainly there's parallel's to be made . . .

anyone who remembers the old free seed site - Johnny Reeferseed - will likely also get a kick out of Polan's essay on Johnny Appleseed . . . that essay also provides a bit of thought provoking material about the nature of "myths" and how they evolve . . .

the cannabis specific section was perhaps the weakest part of the book . . . but that's just our opinion . . . most "heads" will find it interesting . . . and Polan's anecdotes about his own abortive attempts at cannabis cultivation are fairly amusing . . .

Latest posts

Latest posts