What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Brand new to Coco. Question about dripper choice

ButterflyEffect

I was a long time Hempy 1G perlite grower. I realized recently that I hadn't been fertigating properly for the perlite. Instead of continuing to reinvent the wheel, I decided to go Coco. I also switched from vertical 315 CMHs to HLG LEDs. Big changes in the rooms!

So, my question is, what drippers should I buy?

I'm in 3G pots with 70/30 Char Coir. I already have a pump system with 1/2" tubing in place. The pumps are 2400GPH sump-style pumps and I do between 6-8 plants in each room, per run. I'll be doing high-frequency fertigation, so 3-5 feeds per cycle.

I've read that I might want a higher GPH dripper to accomplish this and I don't think I want to keep using the open-ended 1/2" hoses that I currently use as I'm concerned about not getting enough WC saturation to ensure proper runoff for EC control.

What say y'all?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I was a long time Hempy 1G perlite grower. I realized recently that I hadn't been fertigating properly for the perlite. Instead of continuing to reinvent the wheel, I decided to go Coco. I also switched from vertical 315 CMHs to HLG LEDs. Big changes in the rooms!

So, my question is, what drippers should I buy?

I'm in 3G pots with 70/30 Char Coir. I already have a pump system with 1/2" tubing in place. The pumps are 2400GPH sump-style pumps and I do between 6-8 plants in each room, per run. I'll be doing high-frequency fertigation, so 3-5 feeds per cycle.

I've read that I might want a higher GPH dripper to accomplish this and I don't think I want to keep using the open-ended 1/2" hoses that I currently use as I'm concerned about not getting enough WC saturation to ensure proper runoff for EC control.

What say y'all?
Very interesting post friend and thanks for sharing. It would be even more interesting if you show us how you set up and use this system. I think the higher GPH dripper would be the best choice for saturation. Someone should come show up here soon that can help you. Hang in there and keep us posted.

I have 8 liter per hour dripper for my 3 liter Air Pots. Works fine and I get run off after about 2 minutes. I don't think it matters too much as you can just run the pump longer till you get sufficient run off. That is the important bit not if it takes 30 seconds or 5 minutes.

With drippers even distribution is a challenge. I cut out polyester felt to top my pots and have a bit surfactant in the reservoir. Watering manually every now and then would also work.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Open ends of 1/4” pipe are what I use, never had a problem

3 gallons is unnecessary, half that would be fine

ButterflyEffect

Very interesting post friend and thanks for sharing. It would be even more interesting if you show us how you set up and use this system. I think the higher GPH dripper would be the best choice for saturation. Someone should come show up here soon that can help you. Hang in there and keep us posted.
Hello there CP! I was hoping you'd chime in. I drew quite a bit of inspiration from your posts and it has helped me become proficient in learning how to learn.

Here are the bins and pumps that I use. I'll follow up with pics of the room that is setting the stage for the others a bit later at light on...

HGvYero.jpeg

GJip6aK.jpeg

Gorilla Zkittlez in my first ever Coco. Transplanted on 8/21. I'll get a newer pic today, as well
BAWg6D5.jpeg

I've been seeing references to those drippers. I'm interested to know if that's my solution aand whether I can integrate it reasonably into my existing setup

ButterflyEffect

I have 8 liter per hour dripper for my 3 liter Air Pots. Works fine and I get run off after about 2 minutes. I don't think it matters too much as you can just run the pump longer till you get sufficient run off. That is the important bit not if it takes 30 seconds or 5 minutes.

With drippers even distribution is a challenge. I cut out polyester felt to top my pots and have a bit surfactant in the reservoir. Watering manually every now and then would also work.
I've been more or less dealing with the same nuances for years now with my current setup. I've modified it for horizontal so now I just need to find 1/2" to 1/4" adapters and deide how long I want the 1/4" lines to be. Well that and the emitters!

ButterflyEffect

Open ends of 1/4” pipe are what I use, never had a problem

3 gallons is unnecessary, half that would be fine
How many ends do you use per container? What size do you run? I was using 1Gs prior. There seemed to be a consensus that 3G was the most widely used. Now that I'm geting into the weeds, I agree with you. I've easily been able to grow large plants in the 1Gs. My issue was due to a lack of understanding with respect to fertigation strategies especially with regards to what amounts to a zero CEC media. I'll do a few runs with these before deciding to go down to perhaps a 2G

ButterflyEffect

Not terrible for my first LED run. Also haven't done horizontal in a very long time. You can see the defs I was referring to. Looks to be mostly K, which is no bueno

WNgKqoz.jpeg

F2Apa64.jpeg

38T66Xg.jpeg

qMEFAum.jpeg

Here you can see the manifold and piping. The PVC going back to the pump from there is 3/4"
kDCfRgO.jpeg

ButterflyEffect

The newbs from today. The next run is on the perimeter still in solos. They'll be transplanted next week. Going forward all transplants will happen much earlier. I'm still experimenting with how many per room and training. Currently I'm trying one top followed by pulling the two mains down as in the pic.

AJUydx5.jpeg

The ones on the right are the third run in the pattern. Soon clones of that size will be transplanted now.
The ones thew left are GZs that I'll just pop in to the next run and hand water. I always hate tossing them when they don't make the cut for a run

1kKVxeW.jpeg