What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Bought a new LEC 315 bulb but it's scratched.

ReprobateMind

I just received a LEC 315w bulb that I ordered. I opened it up and there are two scratches on it. The manufacturers safety warnings say not to use it. Is it safe to use or should I request a refund?

Ca++

No good, me thinks. Round cylinders can take a lot of expansion related stress. Glass is tough, but you just need score a sheet, for it to know where to break. It's just that foot in the door. The stress riser.

Send pics to whoever. They may play ball.

ReprobateMind

Yeah, you're correct. I was pretty disappointed when I opened up the package and saw the scratches on it. One is a quarter inch in length and the other is about half an inch. They're scored deep enough that they can be felt when wiping with a microfiber cloth. Should I not use a microfiber cloth to wipe them down?

Ca++

That sound quite deep, to be snagging some cloth enough to feel it.

I doubt the cloth used makes much difference, unless it's leaving lint all over them. You wouldn't want grease and plastics bubbling away on the glass. I tend to use tissue, though my t-shirt is also on the menu.

Latest posts

Latest posts