What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Botanicals

Amber Trich

tulsi is interesting.. an adaptogen

do adaptogens work for plants??

A number of studies have looked at the ability of holy basil to protect healthy cells from the toxicity associated with radiation and chemotherapy for cancer. Components of holy basil consistently limit the damage that radiation causes to the bone marrow and digestive tract in animals. When the cells were looked at microscopically, those animals that received holy basil had less chromosomal damage than those that received a placebo. http://www.holy-basil.com/6865.html
can plants protect plants from cellular damage?

I thought this was interesting...
Tulsi, Ginger, Adaptogens, Epigenetics and Evolution
science has confirmed Tulsi and Ginger can reach all the way into the chromatin of a cell’s nucleus and upregulate the Histone H3, a key player in epigenetics1.
In the case of response to herbs being epigenetic events, note the fascinating fact that herbs themselves can turn these epigenetic events on or off. In other words, long term use of one herb that can upregulate Histone may change one’s ability to be supported by another herb.
This may be one of the mechanisms of what is called Yogavahi herbs like Tulsi that can amplify the potency of other herbs.

bjw.. nice!
good thread scrappy

S

SeaMaiden

Sure! I'd love to share about my own personal seaweed harvest!

Every one already knows that Kelp meal (ascophyllum nodosum) is the #1 seaweed source to use. I'm not going to argue with that. But when comparing it by cost and efficiency I'm actually going to stick with my native brown seaweeds.

There are a few different types but the one that I primaryily target is a brown algae (Phaeophyta) called Limu Kala (Sargassum echinocarpum)
View Image
I think that presumption should be debated, I've been debating it when it comes up, and I base that on my experience using various species of macroalgae as bioaccumulators in closed aquatic systems (refugia and algal filters). I would not be surprised if you find just as good, if not better results using your observations and experimentation with what you find locally.

I look forward to what you learn using your local macroalgaes. How familiar are you with databases such as algaebase.org? Also, while Charles Delbeek is no longer with the aquarium out there (he's at Steinbeck now), I wouldn't be surprised if you did a search and find he's got something to say about the local macros that might be of some help to you. They're often used to get fish in poor condition back into good health out at Long Beach, too.

:)

Mia

Good point Seamaiden.
Ascphyllum nodosum is simply the most researched.
I have some bull whip kelp and some other type of kelp(can't remember which at the moment) I bought but need to go pick up. Looking forward to playing around with it.

W89

Veteran
This thread as given me the push I needed to go out and collect some stinging nettles, comfrey and dandelions.. will dry them and grind em into powder and use when needed. Will add some to the worm bin too for added nutrition

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
The Seven Holy Plants of Ayurveda

Sanskrit Name: Tulasi

Other Names: Holy Basil, French Basil, Common Basil, Sweet Basil

Sacred associations: one of the most sacred plants in India; regarded as a goddess and a consort of Lord Vishnu; ceremonially married to Lord Vishnu every year, marking the beginning of the marriage season

Indications: insect bites; gout, muscular aches and pains, rheumatism, bronchitis, coughs, earaches, sinusitis, flatulence, nausea, cramps or scanty periods, colds, fever, flu, infectious diseases.

Actions: Antidepressant, antiseptic, antispasmodic, carminative, cephalic, digestive, emmenagogue, expectorant, febrifuge, galactagogue, nervine, prophylactic, restorative, stimulant of adrenal cortex, stomachic, tonic.

Tulsi, a native to tropical Asia and Africa, is now widely cultivated throughout most of the world. There are many varieties used for both culinary and medicinal applications. It is a tender annual herb, with very dark green, ovate laves, grayish-green beneath with stems bearing whorls of two-lipped greenish, or pinky-white flowers. The plant has a lovely aroma.

Tulsi is widely used in Ayurvedic for: bronchitis, coughs, colds, asthma, flu and emphysema. It is also used as an anecdote for insect and snake bites. It has been used against epidemics and fever, such as malaria. It improves blood circulation and the digestive system. Tulsi is sattvic and opens the heart and mind, gives love, devotion, faith, compassion and clarity; cleanses the aura and gives divine protection. It increases prana and develops pure awareness. Holy basil is used to relieve anxiety, depression, fatigue, insomnia, migraine, nervous tension. It clears the head, relieves intellectual fatigue and gives the mind strength and clarity.

Tulsi is an herbal remedy for various common ailments. The juice extracted from the leaf is given to cure fever, dysentery, skin infections, intestinal worms and to reduce vomiting. The stem is made into beads and used as rosaries by the Hindus.

Mia

Holy basil also protects cells and genes from radioactive damage. Good thing to keep in mind for the future given most of the idiots running nation states these days...

Seandawg

I look forward to what you learn using your local macroalgaes. How familiar are you with databases such as algaebase.org? Also, while Charles Delbeek is no longer with the aquarium out there (he's at Steinbeck now), I wouldn't be surprised if you did a search and find he's got something to say about the local macros that might be of some help to you. They're often used to get fish in poor condition back into good health out at Long Beach, too.
:)

Primarily I use that one species limu kala (Sargassum echinocarpum). But I also use others as well, limu kohu, limu lipoa, and two other red algae simply known as "ogo" (gracilaria salicornia, gracilaria bursa-pastoris). I've found huge success with all species and I prefer them fresh and raw. Sometimes I take a five gallon bucket full of limu kala and fill the bucket with fresh water (after the seaweed has been washed first of course) I'll let it steep for two days or so, strain and use accordingly. The plant material is then used in various ways, first to the recycled soil mix and let it sit untill it's completely broken down. Second it could be dried and saved untill I need it again (I rarely do this, I'll usually just harvest more if I need it). Off to the compost heap, or I'll even use it in a ferment (Korean natural farming [gil c]) for my bananas or other plants. It's extremely versatile, effective, economical, sustainable, and any other adjective that you feel appropriate for this scenario. You could also use it for charging bio char if you'd like but that's not really my thang.

Aloha
SD

gracilaria bursa-pastoris
G.tikvahiae_1.jpg

gracilaria salicornia
Grac%20salic%20scan.jpg

Limu kohu
Limukohu72.jpg

Limu lipoa
Dictyop72.jpg

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Ascphyllum nodosum is simply the most researched.
I have some bull whip kelp and some other type of kelp(can't remember which at the moment) I bought but need to go pick up. Looking forward to playing around with it
Mia

It isn't about Ascphyllum nodosum per se but the variety (i.e. color). You want brown such as the Bull Kelp and several others.

The annual harvest of Ascphyllum nodosum is controlled by international treaty and has been for over 50 years. While not a party to this treaty, the kelp harvested by most of the players in the North Pacific also adhere to these same standards to insure sustainability.

Kelp is grown in protected inlets and bays in China & Japan for producing cultured pearls where water purity is a critical factor. Pulling kelp fronds out of Los Angeles Harbor wouldn't be a very good idea and in many areas on the West Coast plants are protected at state & national parks. The fine at Oregon state parks at the coast is $500.00 and a bag of sustainably harvested kelp meal is $1.10 per lb.

CC

W89

Veteran
grabbed some Comfrey on my way home from the old dears... 4 to 6 weeks ago I picked the plot of comfrey down to the bases and now its all re-grown will go back with a bin bag next time I'm down that way and get the rest...all the snow we had the last 2 weeks and its still thriving lol - this stuff i'm gonna dry it and grind into powder and prob make a tea and use some for worm feed

Attachments

• green pics 151.jpg
    green pics 151.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 29

W89

Veteran
This is my first time trying it in a tea.. I just shredded some leaves prob a cups worth and have added them to some water and it's being bubbled till tomorrow night, the rest will be dried and ground up for later use. I will be adding the bubbled comfrey to make a gallon of water and using it like that will add the dregs to the worm in. dunno if that's any help mate.

koolkush

Veteran
Cool thanks W89. Anybody else got a good way of doing this. I know u can put it in a plastic bottle upside down with a hole in the cap and let it breakdown into green goodness.

W89

Veteran
That will produce a fermented plant extract I think once it breaks down past a certain point all the good stuff 'secondary metabolites' are lost, you only end up with the NPK values, Botanical teas will have all the "good stuff" in it. I wouldn't bubble it for no longer than 36 hours

HTH

W89

Veteran
Like I said the secondary metabolites start breaking down this is the main reason I apply these botanical teas as I have all the N:p:K ect in my soil already same with stinging nettles, kelp alfalfa they all contains various acids, vitamins, phenolic compounds in kelp acts as an anti oxidant, Enzymes, cytokinins, mannitol, gibberellins, betaines,amino acids, organic acids, polysaccharides. proteins,triacontanol these are a few things that are in those amendments mentioned. which would break down if left in the water too long as would be pointless for me adding them to my soil as I don't need no more nutrients..

other people will have more info and a better understanding for what it is were trying to do, I'm kinda new to this stuff and trying to pick it up the best I can so don't take what I have to say as gospel as I may make a few mistakes here and there

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Koolkush

How much Comfrey do you have or are you wanting to process?

W89

If you're going to dry Comfrey (specifically) then you must hang it like you do with cannabis. You cannot stack it in a bucket - it will not dry but it will breakdown into a liquid - Comfrey Syrup which is another way to process and store it for using later

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
The Wonders of Comfrey

A good solid overview on using Comfrey and the article has a wide range of methods: compost activator, fertilizer tea, mulch or side dressing, potting soil mix, soil amendment, disease control, growing comfrey, harvesting comfrey, etc.

There is also a chart comparing the NPK numbers on Comfrey vs. dairy manure, steer manure, horse manure, sheep manure, chicken manure and rabbit manure.

HTH

CC

W89

Veteran
Koolkush

How much Comfrey do you have or are you wanting to process?

W89

If you're going to dry Comfrey (specifically) then you must hang it like you do with cannabis. You cannot stack it in a bucket - it will not dry but it will breakdown into a liquid - Comfrey Syrup which is another way to process and store it for using later

It's drying in a cardboard box laid out flat on the bottom.. I read on in one of your posts about drying it like you would cannabis to stop it breaking down something about simple hydrogen,carbon and nitrogen molecules? something like that lol
The Wonders of Comfrey

A good solid overview on using Comfrey and the article has a wide range of methods: compost activator, fertilizer tea, mulch or side dressing, potting soil mix, soil amendment, disease control, growing comfrey, harvesting comfrey, etc.

There is also a chart comparing the NPK numbers on Comfrey vs. dairy manure, steer manure, horse manure, sheep manure, chicken manure and rabbit manure.

HTH

CC

Thanks coot, do you think you could PM me a few of your great links please? just anything you think would be of interest..Thanks! hope your having a good day bro take it easy