What's new

Bioluminescence in Cannabis 💡

Lugo

Veteran
Do your plants radiate light?

Found that about 8-9 seedlings out of 31 of a recent cross of Mangobiche x Mexican Skunk would have a particular sheen to them. Like bands of light on the stem very reminiscent of reflective material used on clothes etc.

Always in the same places on the stem. All other stems a solid green.

Anybody have any experience with anything like this?

PS before people start nitpicking the stretch, know that this was a while ago, these seeds were planted less than midway down the pot and that the mother plant was almost 3m tall. Nevermind that its a hybrid. The plants somehow survived the deadly stretch go figure.

right

I've seen trichs , light up under black light. Aren't trichombs supposed to be marijuanas natural sun block ? Not sure but I thought originally they served as uv sunblock and then they developed psychoactivity

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
Do your plants radiate light?

Found that about 8-9 seedlings out of 31 of a recent cross of Mangobiche x Mexican Skunk would have a particular sheen to them. Like bands of light on the stem very reminiscent of reflective material used on clothes etc.

Always in the same places on the stem. All other stems a solid green.

Anybody have any experience with anything like this?

PS before people start nitpicking the stretch, know that this was a while ago, these seeds were planted less than midway down the pot and that the mother plant was almost 3m tall. Nevermind that its a hybrid. The plants somehow survived the deadly stretch go figure.

that looks more like reflection, not bioluminescence, simply put those seedlings have a glabrous cuticle around the stem, I've noticed "hempy" types of weed tend to have that lucid reflex also with faint light, proper bioluminescence can be "seen" in the dark or with decent equipment as it's often barely perceptible unless it's mushrooms or algae (or specific animals or insects such as fireflies, or remote species in a jungle).

Lugo

Veteran
that looks more like reflection, not bioluminescence, simply put those seedlings have a glabrous cuticle around the stem, I've noticed "hempy" types of weed tend to have that lucid reflex also with faint light, proper bioluminescence can be "seen" in the dark or with decent equipment as it's often barely perceptible unless it's mushrooms or algae (or specific animals or insects such as fireflies, or remote species in a jungle).
Well the video speaks for itself. Obviously without light there can be no reflectivity and this was taken at night and this reflectivity was isolated to specific plants and also to specific parts of those plants.

Ive never seen any of this before so you must have quite a bit of experience with "hempy" plants, i'd love to see an example of this paticularity if you have it.

This is a landrace hybrid so i'd be curious to get more info on that, thanks in advance and thanks for your input!

Ca++

'Glow in the dark' cannabis plants, must of got a few watchers.

I have associated the cress look with rapid stretching.

Cannabis can grow parts without green pigment. Just like many plants.
One unusual occurrence is white bud. It's usually triggered by a high red portion, such as R8. It looks a bit like photo-bleaching, but will carry on once triggered.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Not cannabis but was looking at spore sites recently since all clones I have bought from online sellers have some degree of fusarium/pythium on arrival, and eventually die. There is one species of cubensis that glows in dark, but just barely.

Really miss growing, anything.

Last edited:

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
Well the video speaks for itself. Obviously without light there can be no reflectivity and this was taken at night and this reflectivity was isolated to specific plants and also to specific parts of those plants.

Ive never seen any of this before so you must have quite a bit of experience with "hempy" plants, i'd love to see an example of this paticularity if you have it.

This is a landrace hybrid so i'd be curious to get more info on that, thanks in advance and thanks for your input!
EDIT: I misread. sorry
will do on my next run :D

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
'Glow in the dark' cannabis plants, must of got a few watchers.

I have associated the cress look with rapid stretching.

Cannabis can grow parts without green pigment. Just like many plants.
One unusual occurrence is white bud. It's usually triggered by a high red portion, such as R8. It looks a bit like photo-bleaching, but will carry on once triggered.
WAit waht? sources? I'm asking for a bud.... (not my avatar :p)

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Not cannabis but was looking at spore sites recently since all clones I have bought from online sellers have some degree of fusarium/pythium on arrival, and eventually die. There is one species of cubensis that glows in dark, but just barely.

Really miss growing, anything.
Hope you got my communicates regarding that bruv...100% you are affected, severely it seems, I can almost guarantee that is what is actually affecting you from your posts..

Ca++

WAit waht? sources? I'm asking for a bud.... (not my avatar :p)
I read too much. I had a look about as it was recent, but no ball.
It was a trade article, where they were speaking of gaining control of the mechanism, in order to sell the tops as a high value product. I think it was potent, but I don't remember that bit clearly.
I have myself turned bud tops white, that wouldn't revert to green. Though the article pointed to LED research as finding a line between damage, and mutation, being driven by different mechanisms.

Albino buds are coming. Once they can be made attractive. Perhaps need snoop smoking it.

Ca++

I like to check the Philips sites. They all differ a little. While generally having a one track mind, which is lighting products, we can use right now. Funding universities, then running big trials, before they give us results and a sales pitch with figures they are legally tied to.
They gave us the best HPS lamps. Then gave us the 315CMH. Their market share of the commercial greenhouse lighting sector, is huge. They are well worth following, but have no interest in selling things here. LED and legalisation, has opened the floodgates to 1000w lights that only consume 100w and have a disco setting. Things Philips can't offer. Though Philips in turn, offer proven results from kit the pretenders don't even make.

Have you seen this albino bud before? I used to have something did this years ago, but it's just so long. It may of been California Orange from Sensi. Which has gone anyway. I think it was called Californian Indica for a while, as it was never orange in flavour, just colour, which was confusing. It's a story I remember from the time, but can't find now. I think it may even be from the catalogue.

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
I like to check the Philips sites. They all differ a little. While generally having a one track mind, which is lighting products, we can use right now. Funding universities, then running big trials, before they give us results and a sales pitch with figures they are legally tied to.
They gave us the best HPS lamps. Then gave us the 315CMH. Their market share of the commercial greenhouse lighting sector, is huge. They are well worth following, but have no interest in selling things here. LED and legalisation, has opened the floodgates to 1000w lights that only consume 100w and have a disco setting. Things Philips can't offer. Though Philips in turn, offer proven results from kit the pretenders don't even make.

Have you seen this albino bud before? I used to have something did this years ago, but it's just so long. It may of been California Orange from Sensi. Which has gone anyway. I think it was called Californian Indica for a while, as it was never orange in flavour, just colour, which was confusing. It's a story I remember from the time, but can't find now. I think it may even be from the catalogue.
Look at my profile picture :D I had noticed whitening of leaves in the Durban cultivar I've been working on, then I saw the same pattern in an Alien Gorilla from Original Sensible Seeds. What you see in my profile is the unintended F1 cross of the two and the subsequent albino bud. Also I have more pictures in my media folders if you care to look

Ca++

Oh man, I hadn't realised. I have just had buds like those in the link, but you are proper growing through it. I can see now why the link means something to you :)

Lugo

Veteran
Well I had a second generation volunteer from this same cross exhibiting the same Avatarish luminous spotting.

Still haven't found any scientific data on this!

Anybody out there know whats going on here?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• CM240402-132302004.jpg
    CM240402-132302004.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 14
  • CM240406-173638015~2.jpg
    CM240406-173638015~2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 13
  • CM240406-173604007~2.jpg
    CM240406-173604007~2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240404_111146~2.jpg