What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Best Reverse Osmosis (RO) system to buy?

B

BrnCow

purewaterclub.com

i got the 150gpd model with a float switch and shipping for like $110. it does not put out 150 gpd but it could be my water pressure so that may be a issue with any brand.

anyways it's 6 stage and i've been running two for a year and both are still spitting out water under 20ppm coming from a tap that's 300ppm. when i first set it up a year ago it was spitting out 0ppm so maybe once a year i should replace the membrane but i'll probably wait another year. replacement's are cheap to. i did a review of this unit on another site i was so impressed with the results considering it's like 1/4 the price of the other units.

oh yeah i have it setup on a 50 gal drum and i run a 50 gal res with 30 ebb and grow pots. in full bloom i'm using 50 gal of water easy with my whole operation. on top of the ebb and grow i have multiple soiless/coco plants, 10 mothers and a 50 site aero cloner that holds about 20 gal of water with just one of these so this thing get's a ton of use. the other i ordered for a friend who has a identical setup and he's having no issues with this either.

I have one of their cheap units ($50) and never got it to work even with a pump and pressure gauge, sent it back and it supposedly worked fine in LA but never worked again after it came back.. might be the old 90% operator and 10% equipment deal but I doubt it...might want to steer clear of their cheap stuff...

GP2B

The Merlin is really impressive with how fast it spits out water, but be ready to spend a fortune on replacement filters. Every year I would have to spend enough money on filters that I could have just bought a new, 100gpd system on ebay. This was with a 400w cabinet setup and drinking water only.

I'm also curious what others suggest since my latest "smart reef" brand has issues with auto topping. It seems to want to continue running waist water after my res tops off.

pic of my old merlin working it's expensive magic

3045merlin_water_line.JPG

Even though it is recommended you do not need to replace the filters that often. I've gone 3 years and still got 21ppm out of the filters. I changed them at that point only because it had been so long but I'm sure they could have gone a couple more.

rambo6372

thefilterguys.biz

i have a 5 stage ro/di system. best piece of system i have used, all high quality parts. i had previously wasted money on buying my ro system from a hydro store and it was junk but these guys are solid and the price is like no other for the quality workmanship you get.

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
hey guys- thanks for the advise. for the last 5 yrs i've been using a diy cistern attached to the gutter downspout to get water for my 10 bucket, 5gal dwc system, but i'm getting to old to hump all those buckets every couple weeks so an ro system attached to a faucet 10 ft from my grow room sure sounds sweet. plus i could pay for the system on what my wife spends on brita filters

dam thank rambo those do look great for the price ill be checking into them forsure what system are you runing atm from them and would u recommend another or the one u got is da shizznit?