What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Best long term storage

DenverJim

What's the best way to keep buds potent and smokable for long term...say two years?
Is there a way to make a smokeable concentrate that will keep for long term? Thereby reducing storage woes?
i have been smoking weed that is up to 8 years old. Some i store in a deep freeze soma in refer. hash I try to keep cool. Hash seems to decarb after 5+ years. I take 10 grams put in 4-6oz of grain and let it sit for days then take 3-5 ml I have some Jungle spice(Ace Congo x G13 HP) grown 2016 or 17

Captain Red Eye

Kept in lidded jars by strain or individual plant, many with boveda packs, date of harvest and any pertinent notes. If a larger plant, sometimes not in jars, but in multiple lidded plastic containers.
Then stored in a lidded plastic tote with large boveda or boost packs in the bottom of the tote itself. Poor man's humidor. Keep the totes in cool, dark, dry basement.

Being a weed omnivore, I like to rotate different strains and delight in digging thru a tote only to find that I have a little bit left of some weed I thought was gone. When the stash gets too large or a little old, time to make some distillate, edibles or give some away to the weed deprived folk.

Intrigued by the vacuum storage thing though. Seems to make sense.

Airloom

Premium user
It just occurred to me that keeping the bug in a vac sealed jar will also pull the moisture from the interior of the buds, as the jar equalizes inside. Maybe flood the jar somehow with N2 before putting on the lid too.
I read somewhere that preppers use hand warmers to remove excess O2 from 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids. They shake the hand warmer to get it going then toss it into the filled bucket and screw on the gamma lid.

I’m no chemist but it seems some kind of chemical reaction residue has to remain from the hand warmer activation. I moved my flower into grove bags so I never went back down this rabbit hole. Gotta get as much air out as possible tho for best long term results.

That jar vacuum sealer is the bomb.

Some vacuum sealers have a vacuum only option to prevent totally crushing the budz.

I just stop the vacuum and hit “seal” when I think it’s tight enough. I’m sure it’s not completely air free but close.

Just smoke or give away more…..lol

Old Piney

You guys got the vacuum seal part right, but vacuum means no air.
I've got 3 year old stuff that you would not believe. It gets stored in a cool dark place too.

picture.php
HVAC vacuum with seal a meal jar attachment ?

Last edited: