What's new

bale of mouldy alfalfa

Bio boy

i have a bale of alfalfa, outside damp in a bag going white n green mould ... throw it out n get new as its for chickens.. but is it useable in the garden still , cost wise i dont give a fuck

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I don't think introducing mold to a garden would be a good idea...yeah, myco is a mold but not the kind that grows on composting organic material...

Old Piney

I wouldn't use it for chicken bedding of forage in their coop , but definitely through it in the compost it'll rot and the chickens if they are there might find something they like living in it

Bio boy

I don't think introducing mold to a garden would be a good idea...yeah, myco is a mold but not the kind that grows on composting organic material...
? They collect leaf moulds and add em like all moulds and do loads on growing moulds organic matter thrives moulds ?
I understand not wanting to use it but trichaderma we all love and use is born on bread we throw it away when bread goes green but that’s what we want in the soil too
the moulds starting on the alfalfa is the beginning of composting fungus getting to work so am a lil confused at this post

nah I don’t use it for the chicks now it’s mouldy it will go on the allotment

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
just thinking of being cautious about mold...can you check with any locals to see if it may be an issue...

oldmaninbc

just thinking of being cautious about mold...can you check with any locals to see if it may be an issue...
The University of Georgia says white mold should not cause worry but the green mold may produce mycotoxins, which are highly toxic. Like yourself I would proceed with caution.