What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Back to the Swamp 2014

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Can any of y'all suggest a strain for in the swamp area a little above the equator. It is very hot and humid here. Thinking of doing an auto sativa. Or leaning too a sativa strains for the weather.

You are on the right track TheOneWill. Sativas do best in the tropics near the Equator, as will Sativa-dominant hybrids like California Orange Bud. You are fortunate to live where landrace Sativas will have all the time they need to stretch, bud and fill out, what with the year-round 12/12 light cycle at the Equator.

A good source of vigorous growing landrace Sativas from Asia and Africa is World of Seeds, whose product line is are sold by several online vendors. I have grown out some nice Mama Thai landrace from World of Seeds, for my swamp spot on a small mid-river island just 5 degrees from the Equator, although these days I simply plant the seeds from any locally sold bagseed that I stumble across, so as to avoid the stress of importing seeds through the post.

Obviously at the Equator, you will do best avoiding indicas or indica dominant hybrids unless you have a stable power supply to set up an indoor grow room, either to start off the indicas vegetative growth before transplanting outdoors, or to grow them all the way through to maturity without any exposure to the blazing tropical sun just outside your front door.

Best of luck, and do start a grow journal here if you can get around to it when the action starts.