What's new

AVG warning message re: firefox?

BigDawg

firefox hogs too much memory (ram). If you only have 1-2 gigs of ram I wouldn't use firefox. Chrome is good.

T

Toes.

Not trying to sound like a dick, but a professional would never say avast is a resource hog!

If you worked on a computer that was slow with avast installed after it was cleaned up, the avast install was corrupt, the hard drive is bad, or the system has a rootkit! I have plenty of business clients still running p4 xp computers with 512 ram and avast pro, not to mention countless home users with the free version. There is minimal difference between no av protection and avast.

Here is some fact!

An anti virus/security suite isn't a fool proof way to safeguard your machine, it's only one piece to the solution and is defeatable regardless of what brand it is. Avira is junk, it's good at detection after your infected, it's right there with Norton always telling you how it saved your ass, but never gets rid of the problem. Avira can't even rid a simple tssd infection, but it does do a good job of telling you how it did every 2 minutes.

Nod32 is a good paid av but is in no way lighter on resources or your wallet then avast free.

Use a router with spi firewall, keep your Windows, Flash Player, Java, and other programs up to date, do weekly scans with Malwarebytes, use Open DNS as your dns servers, and do an occasional -->>boot time<<-- scan with avast, the above along with sensible browsing habits will keep the most people's computers safe.

Peace
GFI

Edit: Also professionals don't encourage software piracy, or do they use it on their own systems. If your a professional you can afford the $50 a year for an av.

Ok, I can only go by what I have personally witnessed... when that little "A" icon in the task bar notification area starts spinning... a p4 with 512 will totally grind to a stop!... no browsing, no music, nothing just avast... spinning away. I've witnessed this behavior on a machine with a zero fill reformat and a clean reinstall of xp, quick as if it were brand new .... only to grind to a complete freeze after avast free was installed... For me I will never use it again. However, I'm ecstatic that you have found this to be your Number One solution GrowForIt... good for you!

Use whatever you feel comfortable with.

I agree with GFI about always updating the big 3... Windows, Java, and Adobe. I do not agree that Avast has the same small footprint as eset does... or it's as light as having no solution what so ever... there is just no way.

I don't like going toe to toe like this... however, It seems I've pushed your button GrowForIt. Please PM me for any further banter... thanks... one more thing... I'm sure I've generated a few thousand dollars for eset by way of recommending them to PC users, having personally installed dozens of paid subscriptions... often the two year subs. ;P

Conflicting advice!!! :smoke:

Well you both agree on the malwarebytes so im downloading that right now.

Any good free programs to clean up my registry, temporary files etc? I used to use a few different ones but its been yonks...

Cheers!

:smoweed:
Malwarebytes is a great standalone scanner. I wouldn't start the free trial, Just stick with the basic scanner. Remember, you will have to manually update the program every time... before you use it to scan.

A good free program for registry and temp files is ccleaner from piriform http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
O yeah and i tried what you suggested b00m but firefox is refusing to update. It reckons its already running so it cant update... but its not open in another window?
I get the same thing bro, you will have to use CTRL + ALT + DEL to bring up Task Manager, go to the Process Tab and find the rogue firefox.exe and Kill that Process, you will then be able to open up Firefox :tiphat:
For my computer I use avast free, SpywareBlaster free and SpyBot Search and Destroy free, I did use AVG for years till it just bogged down all of my computers then I flicked it.
Find what works for you bruz and stick with it (programs)
I manually update my windows and security twice a week and run scans every night whilst I'm off chasing fairies :bigeye:

D

DeftoneSmoker

Just go into your avg settings and turn the option off. It Will say something like "performance monitor" cant remember exactly but that shit bug the hell out of me til I finally turned it off.

S

SeaMaiden

Wow, not one person mentions Linux?

SS, I'm going to go against the flow as is my wont to do. Burn yourself a LiveCD of Ubuntu, boot off of that, use it for your browsing, emailing, and banking. The ONLY thing I can't do in my Linux environment is Deposit@Home through my bank. But guess what! They have an app, so I can do my deposits through my Tablet. BOO YAH! (can't tell you how I hated having to wait for my mailed deposit to arrive in San Antonio)

You can use Firefox or whatever native browser they're using with Ubuntu. I just did a wipe of my machine because we had Fedora on it, I hated Fedora. It took maybe an hour to get the machine wiped and the new OS installed, about a half hour to get the software that I want installed and running, Firefox and LibreOffice were already installed. Libre appears to be extremely functional, it speaks with Microsoft and OpenOffice.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Just try it. If you like it, your days of fucking around with bullshit like AVG, Avast, or even NOD32 are OVER.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks guys i will do what you mention.

Linux? I thought that was just for hard-core geeks? Like as in not so easy to understand for the impatient and compulsive human bean.

If its as easy to install and use then i might give it a go.

When you say wipe a machine, is this something you would recommend pre Ubuntu install?

What are the basics of wiping a machine?

Cheers, dig the new avy SeaMaiden. :rasta:

S

SeaMaiden

Thank you. It's the graphic on a new cigarette case I bought for keeping my pre-rolls a couple of weeks ago. I saw her and she spoke to me.

Try the LiveCD first before you wipe your drive. Wiping means to clean it completely of all information. It's a little involved with Ubuntu, but nothing like trying to compile a Gentoo kernel. Anyway, running off the LiveCD allows you to become comfortable with the operating system (OS) before you make the commitment. You would 'wipe' as you do the installation, you'd be laying down new information over the old. Unless you have one of those REALLY big magnets!

I've been using Ubuntu and just Linux in general for several years now, and Ubuntu is my favorite. However, this latest kernel is like nothing I've ever worked with before (the environment, GUI, etc). It's taken some learning, but no more learning than it took to learn how to use Honeycomb OS on my ASUS Tablet.

Yes, a little geeky, but I'm not a hardcore geek. I AM hardcore cheap!