What's new

authentic real durban poison?

Rastafarout

Premium user
Depends from which area they brought the seeds.Any idea from which part of India those Indians came.
Four main regions
Tamil Nadu , Andrah Praddesh in the south and in the Utter Praddesh and Bihar in the north .
Some of these states being known historically to grow the most

So quite a mix , need to do a lot of testing but it’s not available to the public in South Africa.

StickyBandit

I'm really keen to see what my 80’s Durban Poison seeds from Khalifa Genetics look like. I'm not ready to run them all yet but would like to see the leaf structure and the bud structure if it turns out to be female. If it's indeed NLD I will take a clone and pop the rest for a seed run some time in the future. hopefully it's some good shit :)

IndicaFarmer

I'm really keen to see what my 80’s Durban Poison seeds from Khalifa Genetics look like. I'm not ready to run them all yet but would like to see the leaf structure and the bud structure if it turns out to be female. If it's indeed NLD I will take a clone and pop the rest for a seed run some time in the future. hopefully it's some good shit :)
ive run them, they are the real deal. they need very little nitrogen, be careful. also, they are pretty long flowering, they have wheat spike flowers.

IndicaFarmer

Thanks for the tip (y) Can you tell me a bit more about the smoke qualities and aromas?
never smoked it, grew it for seed production/replication. I was gonna run a full tent and needed seed. i have no doubt it is a classic African psychoactive nld. but to confirm got to smoke myself. i also had to chop a bit early, so the resin did not fully come on. smell was mild. I suspect, just like the description on Khalifa's website, that the strain produces licorice smelling or anise scented flowers. the plants were very uniform in appearance. seedlings have medium thickness leaves, giving way to super thin adult leaves. deep serrations, dark green as well. flowers start wispy and foxtail hardcore. as the weeks progress, the flowers add more onto the ends of the wheat spike type flower clusters. sexual stability was not any issue for me, seemed solid. I made cannabis infused milk for my GF, she has pain issues and i use most of the flower material from seeded runs in this manner. i guess it would be called bhang. worked very well potency wise. I believe I read that this strain tops out at 16 percent thc if that says anything. I know there are other cannabinoids that affect potency and the color and feel of the high. I crossed this to a Laotian strain, but the plants were beat up looking so i did not take images unfortunately. This strain is very striking in appearance for those that may be used to hybrids or indica heavy modern strains. It has an almost mystical wispy, yet powerful presence. it has an elegance that pure Sativa's especially African varieties exhibit. I love this variety and at some point, will cross it to other Africans like Malawi or Drakensberg. For the price I'd say it's not bad, I do like Khalifa as a seed source very much. no pretentiousness, they are honest, quick and in general just trustworthy. I do hope they continue to grow and add to their catalogue. The Nigerian is next on my list!

Last edited:

Legalcdn

Alaska Cannabis Cache Durban Poison. First and second leaf are a bit wide but i am sure they get thinner.

Screenshot_20230825-131114_Gallery.jpg

StickyBandit

never smoked it, grew it for seed production/replication. I was gonna run a full tent and needed seed. i have no doubt it is a classic African psychoactive nld. but to confirm got to smoke myself. i also had to chop a bit early, so the resin did not fully come on. smell was mild. I suspect, just like the description on Khalifa's website, that the strain produces licorice smelling or anise scented flowers. the plants were very uniform in appearance. seedlings have medium thickness leaves, giving way to super thin adult leaves. deep serrations, dark green as well. flowers start wispy and foxtail hardcore. as the weeks progress, the flowers add more onto the ends of the wheat spike type flower clusters. sexual stability was not any issue for me, seemed solid. I made cannabis infused milk for my GF, she has pain issues and i use most of the flower material from seeded runs in this manner. i guess it would be called bhang. worked very well potency wise. I believe I read that this strain tops out at 16 percent thc if that says anything. I know there are other cannabinoids that affect potency and the color and feel of the high. I crossed this to a Laotian strain, but the plants were beat up looking so i did not take images unfortunately. This strain is very striking in appearance for those that may be used to hybrids or indica heavy modern strains. It has an almost mystical wispy, yet powerful presence. it has an elegance that pure Sativa's especially African varieties exhibit. I love this variety and at some point, will cross it to other Africans like Malawi or Drakensberg. For the price I'd say it's not bad, I do like Khalifa as a seed source very much. no pretentiousness, they are honest, quick and in general just trustworthy. I do hope they continue to grow and add to their catalogue. The Nigerian is next on my list!
Thanks for the in depth reply @IndicaFarmer (y) I also like Khalifa. I have their Kullu Valley and Aladdin's Skunk and I'm waiting for Karala Chellakutti to come back in stock. I emailed them nearly a year ago and they do plan to restock :)
I will do a seed run at some point and spread the love locally to keep these classics alive :)

Legalcdn

Photo is after finishing week 7.

Leaves look a bit wider than i would like for a Durban P. It's hard to tell from the indoor light but the top leaves are turning a nice purple. I figure they will be done in 4 weeks. I have two different plants from seed.

I guess we will see soon enough.
Screenshot_20231201-080626_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231201-081513_Gallery.jpg

Ultramarin

Photo is after finishing week 7.

Leaves look a bit wider than i would like for a Durban P. It's hard to tell from the indoor light but the top leaves are turning a nice purple. I figure they will be done in 4 weeks. I have two different plants from seed.

I guess we will see soon enough.
i'm sorry to say that, but these plants are not the real DP at all. i grew plenty of them in the mid 80s, they had a completely different look and bud structure...

Legalcdn

Here is a clone of it (right).

The other one is Acid Beauty on the left to compare a 16 week strain (THH x Vietnam Black).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231201-100342_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201-100342_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30

Wolverine97

Veteran
The bud structure was so unique...kinda inbetween what you see as swazi skunk and rooi bart....the big fan leafs stuck way out from the bud structure..medium dense buds kinda leafy..with curled funny bud leads with these silly giant oversized trichomes...but with smaller trichomes on the bud itself....indescribable very potent smell..that a single tiny bud would stink to high heaven..sweet spicy anise liqurish and skunky
Yeah. I grew Power Plant from Dutch Passion in the early 2000's, and had one phenotype exactly like you're describing. I'd add that the way the calyxes stacked was really unique too. Somewhat similar to GG4 in that regard, but not so dense. But that smell... I still think about it. I've never been able to describe it, but minty, astringent ,slightly skunky, maybe a hint of pine, and anise.

Legalcdn

So I am still not sure this plant is truely from Durban. The H.A. member from alaska (aka: Heime Cheeba) went to the mining region of the now Zambia / Zimbabwe in 1979.

The colas are thickening up nicely.

Screenshot_20231205-154301_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231205-154324_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231205-151911_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20231205-151911_Maps.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Wolverine97

Veteran
Yeah sorry man, that's definitely not Durban. Mel Frank has some good pics documenting the original Durban. Sadly, I've seen lots of people posting stuff lately from Heime Cheeba that isn't what it's labeled to be.

This is Cannabiogen's Durban. I grew this a few years ago. I don't think it's been hybridized but the THCV was bred out of it when it was taken out of South Africa and inbred at higher latitudes. So I flowered it under an 11/13 light schedule, gave it plenty of supplemental UVB light and pollinated it with Ace's Ethiopian in an attempt to breed the THCV back into it. I only flowered it long enough to make the seeds and I still haven't run those yet but I will say it was some of the best-smelling weed I've ever grown. I think it was mostly nerolidol that I was smelling. I once bought an ounce of GSC and the smell was very similar.

Edit: I originally wrote "I once bought an ounce of some very Durban-leaning GSC and the smell was very similar." but it was pointed out to me that GSC's lineage is disputed.

durban2.jpg
durban3.jpg

Last edited:

Popey

Veteran
@Douglas Fir

In my opinion it's the other way around. Durban leans towards GSC, not GSC towards Durban :D How can we be sure that GSC is a Durban x Kush cross? There are people who question the content of Durban in the GSC.

Sorry for the skepticism, but the more I practice, the less I trust breeders.