What's new

Aussie made grow lights

Grow Lights Australia

Vendor
Hello everyone. As you can see I'm new here but we will soon have a vendor forum up at IC Mag for our established company www.growlightsaustralia.com

I will take this opportuniy to tell you a little bit about us while our new forum is set up. Some of you may have already met my silent partner @Prawn Connery in the LED forum. If you know PC then you will also know he is not very silent! He is really the brains behind the company but due to legal restrictions in our country he cannot be the public face of the company so that is where I come in.

I have been with Grow Lights Australia since 2020. I was a grower a long time ago but these days I am busy running the company while PC works behind the scenes to design, develop and test our range of LED grow lights. I will not spam the lights here and will save that for the vendor forum but I think it helps to know who does what because we will both be wearing vendor badges soon. PC is a long-term grower and designed the original lights based on his experiences with LEDs. His friends started growing under them and soon word of mouth spread and his backyard LED hobby was having trouble keeping up with demand. We discussed forming a company together to allow PC to remain at arms length from the company and the result is Grow Lights Australia.

To this day I have been running Grow Lights Australia while PC continues to grow and design new LED models. We have another strategic partner in Melbourne who goes by the name LED Teknik. I am hoping they will join us here as well, not as vendors but as industry experts as they know a lot about LEDs. LED Teknik designs and manufactures some of the LEDs we use in our products and they also do all our spectrometer testing. We also buy LEDs from Japanese company Nichia which is the world's biggest LED company so we are not your typical Samsung LED producers. All our designs are original and all our LED lights are made in Australia with quality local and imported parts.

My time on these boards will be limited as I am quite busy each day but I will be more than happy to answer any questions about our products, availablity and useage. PC will be around a bit more to talk tech so you are also welcome to ask him any questions. I know there are still a lot of questions about growing with LEDs but between us I hope that we can answer most of them. I would like to say thank you to the staff of IC Mag and especially Gypsy Nirvana for offering to host us here. We have had some experience on other grow forums but we have both been made to feel very welcome here.

While I am talking about people behind the company this is Sara. She helps build our amazing grow lights. She says "Gidday!" Sara is a young mother and a plant enthusiast. We are all passionate about plants here.

IMG_9392lowres.jpg

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
Cheers for the intro GLA. :cool:

Hopefully I don't have to keep answering the same questions now about being an "LED salesman" in the LED section, but I do have to keep an anonymous profile because it's still illegal to grow and the penalties are pretty stiff.

I want to say thanks to GLA for making this possible because without him I'd still be building and selling LEDs out of my back shed. At least you've got Kev and Sara to help out – she's certainly one-of-a-kind that one!

Grow Lights Australia

Vendor
She is and she works very hard for us as you know. Sometimes I think the guys come in to the shop just to see her and not the lights. Some of them are quite surprised to see her on the tools. But what could be more made in Australia than a blonde blue eyed Aussie chick building a grow light? She is good value. We need to stop talking about her in case she sees this.

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
Good to see a led maker actually affiliated with growers of Cannabis.

Hopefully we can all start see some of the benefits of the led bud quality thread and grower's research coming out in the lights.

:rasta:
You gotta remember I designed these lights for myself because I couldn't find anything else on the market I liked, so the lights have always been "For growers, by growers" as the motto says. We're always learning.

can'tfindmyway

Too old Senior Member
You gotta remember I designed these lights for myself because I couldn't find anything else on the market I liked, so the lights have always been "For growers, by growers" as the motto says. We're always learning.
It should always be like this !! However it is very interesting I follow you carefully .... I like to play with the lamps ..... Good!!

bleepboop

Welcome from the UK, long time fan but not growing these days. My last homebrew build was from a similar time to the first highlight but less efficient - with optisolis 5000k 3030 strips and 48v strips of 5050 ledteknik PC reds. Glad to see you folks as vendors and that the company continues to fly the flag for properly thought out spectrums while retaining efficacy. It's decent here, something for everyone and the only forum I still take the time to read.

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome from the UK, long time fan but not growing these days. My last homebrew build was from a similar time to the first highlight but less efficient - with optisolis 5000k 3030 strips and 48v strips of 5050 ledteknik PC reds. Glad to see you folks as vendors and that the company continues to fly the flag for properly thought out spectrums while retaining efficacy. It's decent here, something for everyone and the only forum I still take the time to read.
Yeah, it's scary how many names I remember from OG days. o_O

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
OG days - i.e. bashing our heads against a wall trying to convince people far red and near uv were useful for several years :')
edit: referring early highlight days, i've not been around as long as overgrow :)
Haha! Yeah, a lot of people who follow Bugbee still argue UVA and near-UV don't work. I plan to address that. Took a little while for Bugbee to come out with research showing Far Red worked as well. I'd already been designing Far Red into grow lights for three years before that. But hey, I'm only a grower, not a scientist.