What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

ARTofMAKINGfire's SEALED SUPER ROOM

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
Good morning class. Today we discuss grow room design and equipment.

I had to make a space and fill it with life. This is the way...

I've decided to keep it old school and run a KW HPS. Even ran a dedicated 240v line to drop the amperage use down a bit.

I plan to over design everything with this build. No sheetrock, all wood. Painting everything in Killz to seal and keep out pathogens. Coming off wasting alot of time growing in tents dealing with pathogens and pests so I'm not fucking around here. All surfaces will be non porous and wipable. Bleach cleanings in between every run, etc.

full

This is going to be an "all in one" box. There will be a flower chamber about 6 1/2 ' X 5' X 7 1/2' TALL. It will cointain the HPS hood, ballast, a dehumidfier, carbon scrubber and recirculating fan, condensate pump, and 2 ton ductless split AC. On top will be the same area footprint for veg, but only about 3 foot high.

The height on the veg is a bit of a limitation, but I'm not worried as I plan to top small several times to obtain the structure I prefer.

So first things first. Odor control begins before you frame anything. TRUE vapor barriers need to be completley sealed OR THEY DONT WORK. I am certified in all this, trust me.

Spray gluye and a minimum of 4 mil thick material is suitable. Forget cultivation specific plastic that you will pay 4xs for... Home Depot has 10' tall rolls in all different lengths. Much cheaper. Same shit.

My method is to measure the wall I am covering and add an inch or two to both sides. Use a straightedge to make your cuts so everything comes out nice and neat. This build will have TWO vapor barriers. One on the outside and one on the inside. It basically doubles the time it takes to build walls like this... but we aren't building any old wall.... this is a grow room wall!

Here is the 1st vapor barrier up...

full

full

Notice the excess flaps... leave them unitl you are done framing and put up the first walls. Then its easy to run a razor along the edge and remove the remaining plastic. This ensures you have plastic all the way underneath the wood. TOTALLY SEALED!

Time to sharpen the pencil!!! Remember what pops said! "HOLD THAT GODDAMN RULER STRAIGHT GOD DAMNIT!!!" and "MEASURE TWICE AND CUT ONCE ASSHOLE!"

full

Stay tuned. I'm almost done framing.

CharlesU Farley

This looks like a damn fine design and it's pretty obvious you know what you're doing. Since maybe, one day, I'll be able to do this and get out of my 8x4 and 5x5 tents down in the basement, I'll monitor this thread to see how you're doing shit.

Can't wait till you get to the electrical, hope you're going to use arc fault outlets.:)

Btw, I like your writing style. (y)

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
I appreciate you.

You're (people like you) actually the very reason I started this thread.

I'm anti plug and play and anti tent. I think I'm getting old in my old age and am of the belief that you need a few bare minimum skills to be a true cultivator. How to wire an outlet from your panel. How to put up a wall. Tasks we had to do ourselves way back when you couldn't tell your contractor why you needed a small room clandestinley built in the corner of the basement. :)

Cultivation is for those with the true "pioneer spirit" (MUCH more on this later), not a huge inflated ego only satisfied with the approval of strangers bowing down as a follower.

The satisfaction I recieve when you consider this thread useful is what make these forums the antithesis to Instagram. It will make me put even more effort in explaining and documenting how to do what I am doing.

This strikes something in us. It's why the poor native people showed wierd wig and makeup wearing folks how to survive in a foreign land... Its inate in us to want to help and show others how to live well. Not flaunt our blessings turning them into....something else.

Enough for now. We are here to grow FIRE. We can leave the philisophical banter for after our first harvest.

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
Moving right along...

Time for some sticks. (2 x 4)

full

I'm doing this solo and in a tight space so I couldn't frame it all out on the ground and raise. If you are not experienced in carpentry, start with the basics of framing out a wall. There are lots of youtube videos to help you in this. The main things you will learn are keeping things "on center", (whether that means studs every 16" or every 24") and choosing a method for framing your corners. The idea is that you want a surface to screw your wall sheathing to all the way up to the edges. Not going to hold a carpentry 101 class, but I reccommend it as a skill to learn. You really can do so much with just somer basic woodworking knowledge.

So I laid out the basic position of my studs and got to work toe nailing (screwing) them in place. I'm not worried about them being level at this point but I do want the center of them on my center marks. Once they are all in place and I can place the header on top, I will go back and level them one at a time with a 4' level.

full

After all of that, I cut a few 2 X 4 down and lay them across the top to support my cieling, and eventually the veg above...

I was getting excited and introduced the embryos to the new space... I can assure you there are no candy terp profiles in these packs...

full

So after a trip to the 9th circle of Hell (Home Depot) to obtain 10 sheets of 1/2" thick OSB, I got the circular saw out and made some cuts. First piece of the wall in place always feels good. I chose to use OSB (Oriented Strand Board) because it is the absolute cheapest 4' X 8' sheet of wood you can buy. They are about $17 a sheet. They are just fine to work with, however pre drilling your screw holes is the price you pay in your time for the savings you recieve in dollars. It's not too big of a deal though. And with a little extra care, the painted finished product will be exceptional.

As I progress, I take the time to install the 2nd VAPOR barrier. If you look closely you can see it. I switched to clear plastic because it was all they had in stock. All the other wood already in place has one behind it already.

full

A bit more sheathing and plywood and we wil be ready for the door contruction. Which of course must be light proof!

Still a long way to go until we are wetting down beans, but the end product will be well worth it.

CharlesU Farley

Moving right along...

Time for some sticks. (2 x 4)

full

I'm doing this solo and in a tight space so I couldn't frame it all out on the ground and raise. If you are not experienced in carpentry, start with the basics of framing out a wall. There are lots of youtube videos to help you in this. The main things you will learn are keeping things "on center", (whether that means studs every 16" or every 24") and choosing a method for framing your corners. The idea is that you want a surface to screw your wall sheathing to all the way up to the edges. Not going to hold a carpentry 101 class, but I reccommend it as a skill to learn. You really can do so much with just somer basic woodworking knowledge.

So I laid out the basic position of my studs and got to work toe nailing (screwing) them in place. I'm not worried about them being level at this point but I do want the center of them on my center marks. Once they are all in place and I can place the header on top, I will go back and level them one at a time with a 4' level.

full

After all of that, I cut a few 2 X 4 down and lay them across the top to support my cieling, and eventually the veg above...

I was getting excited and introduced the embryos to the new space... I can assure you there are no candy terp profiles in these packs...

full

So after a trip to the 9th circle of Hell (Home Depot) to obtain 10 sheets of 1/2" thick OSB, I got the circular saw out and made some cuts. First piece of the wall in place always feels good. I chose to use OSB (Oriented Strand Board) because it is the absolute cheapest 4' X 8' sheet of wood you can buy. They are about $17 a sheet. They are just fine to work with, however pre drilling your screw holes is the price you pay in your time for the savings you recieve in dollars. It's not too big of a deal though. And with a little extra care, the painted finished product will be exceptional.

As I progress, I take the time to install the 2nd VAPOR barrier. If you look closely you can see it. I switched to clear plastic because it was all they had in stock. All the other wood already in place has one behind it already.

full

A bit more sheathing and plywood and we wil be ready for the door contruction. Which of course must be light proof!

Still a long way to go until we are wetting down beans, but the end product will be well worth it.
Is your air intake and exhaust going to be vented to outside/exterior to your structure or are you using what I think kids call a "lung room" these days. ;)

My tents are in an unheated basement and the first time somebody called the basement part a "lung room". I had absolutely no earthly idea what they were talking about. 😂

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
This room will be SUPER SEALED. Meaning no air will leave or enter the box unless I open the door. I am able to achieve this with a ductless split AC. The only thing going in or out of the room will be electrical (20amp 240V dual pole and 20amp 120v single pole) refrigerant lines (1/4" and 3/8" both insulated) and the 1/2" poly vinly tubing for the condensate and dehumidifier water to leave being pumped out by a condensate pump. I will be able to fit all of that in a 3" diameter pvc sleeve through the wall that I can seal by filling with expanding foam, cutting back when dry, and painting over.

Typically you are correct in an unsealed room, you would have air exchange to keep lights cool and environment in check. And yes, technically wherever you would be pulling your intake air from would be considered your "lung room". Even an unheated basement maybe on the dingy side...lol

However, if you wanted to DRASTICALLY IMPROVE your tent's air quality, you could. Would not be hard at all with basic wood working skills. You would have to contruct a "plenum box" which is basically just a sealed box that can hold a volume of air to distribute. On the intake of this plenum box, you could install a HEPA filter (about $250) and on the inside of this box, you could install a UV light assembly ($300). You would direct all the air through this box and into your tent via flex ducting. The box would remove all particlates from the air down to .03 microns and the UV light would KILL fungal spores and other pathogens.

This is what I do. IAQ or indoor air quality is a billion dollar anual business. Hospitals, government buildings, some schools, high end homes... are all breathing better air than us with our 4 fungal spores per breath average... You can improve or sanitize almost any space. Starting with ridding the space of any inputs i.e. fruiting bodies of molds etc. and then scrubbing the air.

ACBD - Thats what this is all about. Bringing it back to the Overgrow days when the ony satisfaction our ego was able to taste was when we flexed to strangers on the interenet who we knew were going through the exact same stresses and delights that we were. This was for me, my only outlet my ego was allowed and it usually coincided with helping others through it... not kicking them in the balls and telling them they grow mids.

I joined ICmag in 2005 when I was 18. I rememeber seeing old heads complain about the forwardness of the younger crowd asking for cuts in the open forum. I thought they were just old and grumpy. But I truly get it now... seeing the community fall even further from grace. I get it.

Of course this INDUSTRY is full of periahs and con men... but thats not the COMMUNITY. We need to gather together... those of us that remain... to be a beacon. An example of what the COMMUNITY should be. People helping others get by in a crazy world. Growing relief for the masses and sharing info on how to do so. Hosting gatherings where the point was to GATHER not PROFIT.

If I ask you to come to an event now, I'm immdiatley following that up with... "Do you want to give me money for a table?" This current BS is not the way. I will stuff my backpack with herb better than any table and sell it all before I ever give you a DIME! I don't PAY FOR CLOUT! I earn that in the shadows cutting my hands...

The time has come for a revival of sorts. And everyone can continue on doing what they want... but this ain't that. We just some old heads now. I'll be 40 in a few weeks!! This shit has taken over the better part of my life and there is no stopping! It has shaped me into who I am today and I am grateful for that!

I love cannabis and any cannabis warrior! Not a cannabis showman! A WARRIOR! (WHere is BROWN DIRT!?!?!)

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
And we have a door.

full

I went big and spent $71 on a sheet of sanded maplewood for the door. Completley excessive and I have regret. A $16 sheet of OSB would have gotten the job done. Especially with a few coats of paint. Oh well. You live and learn. I'll get it back.

I installed the inside frame and the weatherstripping. 1" X 1" weatherstripping on some 2x2s. Looks very promising already. 2 latches and this is all finished.

full

Now for some veg space above...

dramamine

Looking really good, Art. I love threads like this and there aren't enough of them anymore. Looking forward to seeing what you got up your sleeve.

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
dramamine - Much appreciated. I'm sure we'll lure more in here once we gert some pretty colors. I've got some awesome gear from $Mike I am itching to pop. Some Dirty Cadillac beans which are The Elvis X Dirty Taxi. I know there is going to be some super fire in these beans!!! I hope I find the unicorn.

I got more wood. I got back to work. Started to build the crown chakra on this masterpiece... First I finished the door and the lightproofing.

full

Framing the rest up there has been a royal PITA. I've earned my stripes in crawel spaces so the 3' height is actually not too bad. But having to get everything lined up and square and getting the header mounted to the concrete cieling was a strain. Maybe I'm getting old...?

full

I got her done though. And you know we didn't forget the vapor barrier! Also have the 2 electrical lines in the back left corner there that have to come through the back wall. 120v and 240V (for the KW HPS).

full

full

I love it when things line up perfectly as you expected. Best feeling ever when crafting things into existence. This is one of the only 2 penetrations into the entire thing. Easy to seal. And I taped up all around the vapor barrier penetration.

full

I got all the inside panels up and the front framing finished.

full

Lost another soldier in the process. Actually threw some duct tape on her. I think this will be her final job though.

full

Its time for some volcano bags. Cheers all. Here's to hard work and high payoffs.

full

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
So now shes ready for some paint.

full

Still have the door to put on the veg but I think it came out pretty good build wise. Now its time to wire, and install all the bells and whistles. I'm done cutting wood which I'm ok with.

So up top in veg I will have LEDs. They do nice job in veg and do add less heat. I will have a way to deal with the heat and humidity in the veg chamber and I'll post all that as I install and take pics. I won't have to add any additional cooling as it will pull air from below where the ductless split is.

Also have to install the ductless. Or rather, relocate the evaporator as I will be using a ductless split I previous installed. I will give some pointers and step by steps on doing all that BTW... I guess in most states you can just call an AC contractor though...