What's new

Any use for old carbon filter media??

Tomatoesonly

With these filter scrubbers basically being throw away, because they seem to be so hard to refill ( ac infinity has a new refillable one now), but is there ANYTHING we can use the old filter media for?
Can it be used the same as BIOCHAR? Will it absorb good nutrients and kill plants?

Ca++

There are many stories (coming out of grow shops) about how hard they are to fill. The one's with big holes, and a net stocking inside, are more trouble. I can usually improve upon filters by rebuilding them though. The main failure I find, is taking up the slack with open cell foam. Which is why many work better with tape around the last 50mm each end.
You can't just pour it in. You have to stop and slap them about a bit, to settle them every 12" or so.
Some of the parts can also be repurposed as silencers, if that holds more value to you.
A lot of the carbon we chuck was virgin, but a lot isn't. The VOCs can be burnt off. I know Belgium has a place that refreshes it. Or pulverises it, heats it, and makes new filter products. Often with additives to capture specific industrial waste.

I baked some once. I didn't know it would glow, or that my grill door seal would toast so well. Some of the carbon in my grill, turned to white ash. I think I over cooked it a little. IIRC the target is around 300c