What's new

Any photographers on IC?

I'm thinking about getting a Canon Rebel XTi.

From all of the reviews I read, it seems to be a nice camera, especially for the price.

I was going to look into getting an XT, but then I saw the price and quality comparison. The XTi is much better, and only ~150-200 bucks more, depending on where you shop.
I figure since I'm already spending 400, I might as well go for the better camera.

Any suggestions?
What do you shoot?

dr. ugs

nice. i do see the first sentence in your post but i was thinking that since you were planing on buying a digital SLR that maybe you would have some experience with a 35mm SLR

MMZRetro85

TheGoodStuff - Thats the camera i use, im still working out all the kinks and figuring it out, i also have a EFS 60mm usm macro lense
Theres a few books out there that are dedicated to that camera
heres a few shots taken with this camera and lense :)

The best prices I could find were on eBay - 600 or so with a lens and some other stuff (bag, mini tripod, etc).
I don't really care about the OMG XTRA PRIZESINSIDE things, but I do want a lens.

At local camera shops its about 700 for the body and kit lens.

Amazon is 530 for just the body.

outkastt said:
Hey Retro, put together a few pics of trichs up real close in black and white, and then hang it on your wall......make some for me, and I will buy thm....I saw pics like that in Amsterdam...it is really beautiful. Pipeline and Joe in WnB are really amazing photographers.....have a good one....peace...O.

You know, I might do that once I get a macro lens...
Could be interesting.

Wow Sammet, those are some nice pics!
I've heard that the D40 is comparable to the (Canon) Rebel XT, and the D40X is about the same as the XTi.
I like :)

G

Yeah sammet, very clear and crisp pics. I find that hard to achieve with my camera for some reason

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's all about lighting, and a tripod, and a little guide to the D40X that came free with the Sunday papers :D

edit: (Thanks guys, really means a lot. I'm really into photography but only just got my first proper SLR this summer and I'm still learning as I go.)

21338cat3.jpg

Last edited:

cjk

go with the xti! i was in this same dillema last year when the xti was released and everything about it is better. 4 more megapixel, 9 point auto focus, bigger image display and exceptional noise control even in high iso all for another 150 bucks or something. the iso issue is the reason i would stay away from nikon. canon has always had better results when shooting in high iso with low light. i would just buy the xti body and then look for a lens with a constant aperture. the kit lens has an adustable aperture and it gets annoying because the lens is so slow. i'd reccomend the tamron's with a constant 2.8 aperture, either with a 17-50mm zoom or the 28-75. it's always best to get a fast lens right from the start. hope i helped out a little! if you go this route you will have a very solid setup!

G

What does iso do? High iso, low iso..auto iso..when to use what...I never got that..but sometimes my pics can be very grainy if on high iso (i think it's high if i remember right)(

cjk

iso is sensitivity to light. in low light situations you can bump up your iso so you can shoot at higher shutter speeds and avoid blurry images. the higher you raise your iso, the more noisy and grainy your images become. canon's handle high iso exceptionally better than nikon, especially in the lower model digital slr's. i had to shoot my sis's volleyball game in a gym full of hps lighting and being able to bump up my iso to 1600 was the only way i could get good results and freeze the action in such shoddy lighting.

What about some remote flashes?
I've seen photographers, especially at basketball/volleyball games (inside of gyms with fluorescent lighting), use remote triggered flash systems.

Probably pretty pricey, though.

Ok, I'm planning on getting the XTi. Probably not until after x-mas - money is tied up in other projects (no, not weed... haha)

cjk

i don't like to use flash because it takes away from the photo. usually when shooting sports you're too far away to use flash anyway. also, you wouldn't want to distract the players. having a fast lens is key. 2.8 would be great as long as it's constant.

Latest posts

Latest posts