What's new

Any Mobile Phone Techs here?

VenerableHippie

I want to boost my mobile phone reception and rebroadcast it 150 meters to my home. I already have a tower.

Doing this thru Telstra will cost a fortune.

There must be an alternative way!

St. Phatty

How many phones are you willing to destroy setting it up ?

Of course you can probe the antenna output, using a high impedance probe.

There are techs who know a Ghetto way to do it, i.e. low cost.

Do you have the equipment to measure what frequency it's broadcasting at ?

Not look it up, measure.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Wifi calling is possible at 150 meters. You stick a phone up your mast that connects to the mobile network, and then offers a wifi hotspot. From home, you use wifi calling options on your phone, not mobile networks. All the latest phones will switch straight from mobile networks to wifi calling, if wifi is available and mobile lost. Such as entering a tube station.

A relay for your phone is difficult. Generally, a relay recieves on one band, but transmits on another. They can use the same band, but it requires a considerable distance between the aerials. What I suggest is receiving on one band and transmitting on another. Mobile to wifi.
Once wifi, you have greater control of relaying it about further, as your kit assigns all the network names and channels.

Is there a wire between the tower and home? As a wired network out the usb socket of your mast-top phone is another option. Perhaps into a higher powered wifi transmitter

Edit: Any kit to relay the mobile network is likely to be unlicensed and on a band actively supported by technicians of the primary user. Namely your mobile operator. You run a high risk of getting a visit, and little hope of technical support operating such kit.

Edit2: I'm presuming you live off grid. If you have wifi at home already, then your phone probably works. You just need activate wifi calling.

I can see wifi networks 300 meters from home, but the data rates are very poor as they are indoors. This I'm using, isn't my connection. It's one of many I use.

Ca++

I have just been playing with a b535 and the MR600 4g routers. Like home broadband routers, but with a sim card slot to use a mobile network, not cable/adsl. Both are 4g+ meaning two connections to the local mast, to almost double the speed. Both have a 12v jack. The MR600 has two aerials for these two connections, while the 535 has them internally, plus can have them external. It's quite a common item, issued by phone providers under a few names. Making it worth half as much used. The 535 can also lock out masts of choice, if they are poor. The MR600 is better as it uses qualcom not cheap cheaps. However if can't lock out specific transmitters. It can however be locked to certain bands, which will sometimes do. Most geeks pick it, and add log periodic aerials if they are in very remote areas. That's like a TV aerial, or two. A tidier solution is the xpol2 but twice the price used, as the logs are new, These items are all over youtube.

Then the next part of the puzzle, is as said already, using wifi calling on the phone. So the router picks up the mobile network (gsm/3g/4g) and gives the wifi signal the phone needs. These days we have a thing called mesh, with is almost a standard that allows wifi extenders to be added, in groups or singly.

In effect, the router and perhaps improved aerials go in the best reception area. Then broadcast wifi for the phone, through boosters along the way if needed. While the router has no wifi aerial sockets, some of these boosters do. So you could just sit one beside the router and use a wifi aerial on that. Then it could be a 300 meter link, quite easily.