What's new

Any bowyers?

hfm

Hello there,any stave scraper's out there?We relocated to an area with way more hardwood's and have started making self bows.Always pretty rad getting the sneak on something.Just cut a few post oak's w/damage for recurve's and am working on a dry pig nut hickory for a recurve also.
Having to fire harden everything prior to tillering to prevent set with most of the white woods available here.Wood love to bs some other's on here if there's any about,cheers.

hfm

1000009064-jpg.18972795
1000009065.jpg

Attachments

• 1000009064.jpg
    1000009064.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 285

buzzmobile

Veteran
I am not a bowyer but I saw your post and it reminded me of a primitive art festival some years back.
DSC04935.JPG

DSC04936.JPG

Do you have any finished to show?

hfm

This was finished and shot really nice but I kept pushing it and it blew up.
1000009077.jpg
1000009078.jpg

hfm

@buzzmobile Yeah I'm just learning and blowing alot of them up still.Sometimes they shoot real nice but until I have the feel for my limits in the wood (knots,twists etc.) but also how far you can push each one during tillering and at which stages they are best to mess with.Should start finishing them to use before long.Thank you for sharing though :)

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
I used to make traditional English longbows using hickory backed lemon wood, finally sold them in California where people were willing to pay a realistic price for the work that goes into them

hfm

Oh wow lemon huh,thats cool :) Super interested in doing some laminates down the road.Need to fool aroud for a few years though.Do you have any pictures of any of the rad ones you made that stick out in your mind?
I used to make traditional English longbows using hickory backed lemon wood, finally sold them in California where people were willing to pay a realistic price for the work that goes into th

armedoldhippy

Veteran
trying to teach myself to build selfbows. been learning to knap stone points and making my arrows for a while too. we've got osage here, but most is on public land where you can't cut...dang it!

hfm

trying to teach myself to build selfbows. been learning to knap stone points and making my arrows for a while too. we've got osage here, but most is on public land where you can't cut...dang it!
Thats rad for sure!Love knapping,into heat treating first?We have some osage saplings to train up,so patience will have to do ,laughing.This is a red oak that took set,still shoots enough for small game.Shorter lower limb,because it gets really thick here and shooting windows is the best you can hope for.
1000018345.jpg
1000018344.jpg

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Nice bow, have you tried turning it upside down and rest the arrow on your hand?

hfm

Thank you :)
Oh,nice tip.I appriciate that.It shoots straight,just has the feeling if messed with more its going to blow up (so the draw is short and snappy). We have timber that needs to be managed some though so lots more to make yet ;).
Anytime you want to share some tips i'd sure be receptive,thanks again!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
that's a cool looking bow! i'm gonna give up on laminated stuff, with the possible exception of backing a bow with bamboo or hickory. i have a bamboo-backed osage i'm going to carry during turkey season.

hfm

Thats rad!Ewwwww gobble gobble,its coming!
laughing ive gotta sage recurve for actual hunting, but would sure love to start using selfs down the road.Do you hunt morels also?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Thats rad!Ewwwww gobble gobble,its coming!
laughing ive gotta sage recurve for actual hunting, but would sure love to start using selfs down the road.Do you hunt morels also?
LOVE sautee'd morels! tastes even better if served with wild turkey breast chunks deep fried with Shake & Bake & crab boil spice mix on them. 🦃 :bow:

hfm

LOVE sautee'd morels! tastes even better if served with wild turkey breast chunks deep fried with Shake & Bake & crab boil spice mix on them. 🦃 :bow:
That sounds delightful! ;)
Got a few may apples just starting to show,wont be long.Should be getting a new swiss draw knife and a couple card scapers,super stoker to start using nice tools.Have you roughed many out with just a hatchet or machete?We have a bunch of chert nodules here which should be great to fire and knap.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
That sounds delightful! ;)
Got a few may apples just starting to show,wont be long.Should be getting a new swiss draw knife and a couple card scapers,super stoker to start using nice tools.Have you roughed many out with just a hatchet or machete?We have a bunch of chert nodules here which should be great to fire and knap.
this early/warm weather might coax a few out early. i normally don't get out looking until turkey season gives me another reason to wander around in the woods though, and our season has been knocked back until April 16th, i think. i don't think i'm gonna wait that long to look for morels. got lots of chert here too, but not much of it will work unless really heat-treated i'm afraid. never roughed one out like that, seen it done on youtube a bunch though. i'm gonna try to slide a chunk of osage out of some TVA land here with a bow saw if i can find the right tree. a chain saw might get someones attention...:whistling:

hfm

this early/warm weather might coax a few out early. i normally don't get out looking until turkey season gives me another reason to wander around in the woods though, and our season has been knocked back until April 16th, i think. i don't think i'm gonna wait that long to look for morels. got lots of chert here too, but not much of it will work unless really heat-treated i'm afraid. never roughed one out like that, seen it done on youtube a bunch though. i'm gonna try to slide a chunk of osage out of some TVA land here with a bow saw if i can find the right tree. a chain saw might get someones attention...:whistling:
Thats rad,yeah osage has a neat history.Love the termite proof aspects.We can harvest it here without much issues really.Laughing sneaky sneaky ;)

Timj

I made a bowyer bench and also split my first log. I purchased the Traditional bowyers bible volume 1. I only have Black walnut and Ash on my property. I just removed a small 8" diameter walnut tree so that's what I used. I'll try my hand at making a flat bow and hope to learn from my mistakes. I also built a tillering jig.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Thats rad,yeah osage has a neat history.Love the termite proof aspects
i buy the Primitive Archery mags regularly. some of those guys have dug up osage fence posts about a century old and made good bows from them. i can't WAIT...

hfm

I made a bowyer bench and also split my first log. I purchased the Traditional bowyers bible volume 1. I only have Black walnut and Ash on my property. I just removed a small 8" diameter walnut tree so that's what I used. I'll try my hand at making a flat bow and hope to learn from my mistakes. I also built a tillering jig.
Thats rad,good luck and please share your progress.Id be super excited to see how it all works out :)