What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Amsterdam June 2024 report

limegreenlimey

TLDR - If you've not been the the Dam before or live somewhere where cannabis laws are repressive, it is still worth a visit. If you knew Amsterdam as it was more than 10 years back or have easy access to good cannabis at home... maybe prepare yourself for some disappointments.

My visit - I dropped in on my way back home, having come off a long transatlantic flight, with a 6 hour layover at Schiphol. So, I grabbed about three hours in the city centre.

Where did I go? - La Tertulia coffee shop on Prinsengracht and a few other places. More about which below.

What did I smoke? Forgotten! (sorry) it was a mostly sativa for Euro17 a gram, recommended by the bud tender guy. He asked me what I wanted and I said "I don't care whether it is the strongest stuff or not. I want something well grown, with good flavour, in good condition". And that's what I got. Best weed ever? No. But I would say 8/10. I have certainly had far worse in Amsterdam and far, far worse elsewhere. It was, at a guess, a haze-indica cross, with some of the haze flavour profile and very tight, reasonably resinous buds.

Do I recommend this coffeeshop? Yes. That said, they no longer offer a Verdamper vape, or any vapes or bongs at all, and you have to buy both cannabis and a drink to sit in or outside the shop, which seems to be common policy these days in Amsterdam. More about this below. The coffee was nice. The staff were pleasant. The coffeeshop is one of the most pleasant in the city and (a rare thing) is south/east facing with outdoor seating, so you can actually sit and enjoy a smoke in the sun, which I did. Inside the shop is airy and bright and has a nice selection of pot plants (not the smokable kind). If I were to take a novice/girlfriend/etc to a coffeeshop in Amsterdam, it might well be this one.

Did I got anywhere else? Yes. Coffeeshopamsterdam Cafe, on Singel, near the station. You cannot buy weed there but you can smoke there. If you remember nothing else form this post but this, remember this place exists because its "you can smoke weed from elsewhere" policy is incredibly useful (these days).

I offer the above a gazetteer advice, what follows is a rambling set of reflections on this and past visits. It's not going to offer much of any practical value, in case you're here for "facts".

The Long Read....

I have arrived off a 9 hour flight from over the pond, where I have been working for a few weeks, with a six hour layover on my way back to Heathrow. I have had perhaps 20 minutes sleep in 24 hours, and am thoroughly jet-lagged. This is likely not the best state to be making objective judgements about anything but at least I wont be starry-eyed about this visit, blinded by adrenaline and excitement. The mission is simple: get a few smokes and a wander round in before I head home for some sleep. I haven't been to the Dam for a decade, and am keen to see how the old place has changed since I was last here. First impressions? The queue for immigration, at 40 minutes, is much longer than I remembered, and uncharacteristic of the Dutch reputation for efficiency. It passes. I could have done without the tedium or the time lost. Never mind.

On arrival at Central Station, I was immediately discombobulated by the building work. The old front of the station is being redeveloped, which means you have to loop round the ferry side and through a tunnel to get to the city centre. Prins Hendrikkade has been dug up yet again, as it seems to have been for most of the 21st century, and I dodge the bikes at the foot of Singel as I meander on my way to La Tertulia. I was pleased to see that Siberie is still open, as it's always been one of the better shops in the area, but I pass by as I am in a bit of a hurry. I wish I wasn't in a hurry. It is hot. Not "sunny but there's still a cool breeze off the Ijmeer" hot. Actually hot. And I have to carry my cabin bag from the plane, which is slightly larger and heavier than one might choose for half a day of urban route march ; thank god, I was not encumbered with a bergen and guitar, as I was thirty years ago when i first came here. There are no hippies with bergens and guitars, in fact, that I can see. Nor any touts outside the VVV selling cheap rooms in dubious hostels. Some things are the same. Cafe Joselito, the tapas place in which I have eaten many times is still there, as is Kaasland Singel. Hotel Multatuli, opposite the station, is still there. I have never stayed there but its name has always intrigued me. But the city is definitely not the same and my old man nostalgia is kicking in before I have barely penetrated the canal belt. This is going to set the tone for the visit.

It is much further than I remembered from Central Station to La Tertulia, which is towards the southern end of Prinsengracht, the outermost of the canals that loop round the old centre of the city. Visiting the coffeeshop is the main purpose of this little trip into the city. I have been here many times but always failed to visit the coffeeshop when it's open, for no reason I can explain adequately. I have passed by on what must always have been Mondays, when it's closed, and pressed my nose against the glass but I had never before been in. It's notable for having been there a log time, run by women, and for its airy, pleasant atmosphere. It is the opposite of the neon-hiphop-weedbro vibes of many of the other places in the city. There used to be a lot of coffeeshops (I call out the Old Church in the Red Light District) which were in nice buildings but had little else to offer. I am too old and cynical for that kind of establishment. I just want somewhere I can enjoy a blunt and a coffee in peace. If I were here for longer, I might have visited Yo-Yo, long my favourite of all coffeeshops in Amsterdam (mostly terrible weed but always one special variety available ; mostly Dutch customers picking up a gram on their way home ; a vibe that never lost connection with its roots as a squat in the 70s) but its too far and I don't have time. I am not disappointed by La Tertulia. I get my smoke in the sun. There are no bad vibes. It is a little pricey but that's Amsterdam for you. I recommend it. But...

We're going to dive down a rabbit hole of nostalgia and mild bitterness here. I'm sorry. There will be light at the end of this tunnel but I have some things to get off my chest first.

I first came to Amsterdam in 1993. I was 18. I was a longhair with a harmonica travelling with a friend and his guitar. We stayed in an unlicensed hotel above a launderette on Haarlemmerstraat with Mr Singh, a kindly Sikh gentleman who became a friend, over the years. I stayed there often, and came to know that part of the city very well indeed. When I first visited, you could buy skunk in the Dam, of course, and Haze, Northern Lights and White Widow but in 1993 these weren't the predominant strains. Most of the coffeeshops were still hasj centred and you could still get Purple Haze and Jamaican and other weedier weeds. In fact, that's what you mostly got. No doubt, there were fancier coffeeshops with finer strains but that wasn't the main scene. It would change within a year. So, my many visits to the city spanned what I would describe as three or four phases of coffeeshop culture, That "purple haze" phase. Then the 90s mainstream phase of, yes, skunk and widow and lights and widow (and "skuff", the first mainstream Dutch made hash, which was awful) and, later, Jack Herer. Then a phase in the 2000s when there was a lot of transatlantic influence, with American breeders like KGB and DNA and, a bit later, Barney's Farm, and the main strains seemed to be Amnesia and Lemon Haze and Sweet Tooth, and the start of the ice/water hashes like Moonshine at Dampkring, and ... I don't know what happened next because by 2010-2012, I had largely stopped visiting. All I can say is, by now the weed you get in Amsterdam seems to be mostly the same as the American strains like Girl Scout Cookies and LA Kush cake.

La Tertulia has these same American strains on their menu and some of the older kinds. I take what's recommended to me by the bud tender. I was slightly surprised to see a man working in there having understood it had an all female staff policy but he was pleasant and knew his job. There was a little tension. Not his fault. I explained that I was off a long flight and that he might have to wake me up. Also I looked fairly terrible. Not quite tramp territory but I could have done with a shower and a comb. I guess he imagined that he'd have to gently eject me from the shop if and when I passed out and started snoring into my beard. I do not smoke tobacco any more so asked for a vaporiser (they no longer offer them for use) or a bong (he offered to sell me one) and he had to explain (to me and others) the policy that you have to buy pot and a drink in the shop if you want to sit in the shop. At each stage of these explanations, he looked ever-so-slightly more embarrassed, perhaps as my eyebrow raised a notch high each time. As it turns out, almost everywhere I went had these policies. They used to be somewhat in place, somewhat informally in the past, but seldom strictly applied. It's the rule now. And such rules don't sit easy with me, I must say. I emphasise this bud tender and the coffeeshop are not to blame for this. But it grated, I have to tell you.

Two blunts and two coffees down, I decide I have to head off for a walk before I doze off and miss my flight home. So I crossed the city centre via Warmoesstraat, another old stomping ground, and the edge of the red light district, off to Nieuwmarkt, where there's a clutch of coffeeshops including Greenhouse Effect, which used to be on Warmoesstraat and has moved. On the way, I note the desolation of the old coffeeshop scene. There used to be dozens of coffeeshops on this route. Almost all have closed. Especially the good one have closed. The vast majority of girls in windows in the Red Light District are gone for good, which is likely a good thing, but the area now lack its former edge and colour, like Soho in London. They do not let me into Greenhouse Effect, pretending that it is closing. I assume I look too old and too rough but I am insulted, not least because before they moved, I used ot smoke there often. Arseholes! I am not dumb enough to be fooled by their lie or foolish enough to argue. De Jolly Joker does let me in but they insist I buy weed, so I decline and slope off, by now rather depressed, and head back on a short tour of old haunts all now closed before returning to Singel, largely because it's so close to the station and if I have to buy some more weed, it's going to be from Siberie. But on the way, I drop into coffeeshopamsterdam, which is on the site of one of the branches of the late-lamented Rokereij coffeeshops, where I used to stop for my last smoke. Old habits dies hard.

coffeeshopamsterdam saved my day. So here's you brighter ending. After the disappointments of the day, the relief that I found somewhere where I could buy just a drink and have a smoke was considerable. The staff were polite and friendly. There were people even older than I smoking a joint at a table outside and people much younger than I, some heads slightly drooping with the weight of their smoke, inside. There were even a few grinders one could borrow alongside the skins and roach card at the counter. Yes, the drinks were expensive-ish (Euro 9 for an iced coffee and an ice tea) but I didn't feel.... exploited.

And that's how I felt about Amsterdam these days. It is still absurdly civilised. It is still GREAT that you can pop into a cafe and buy some weed and a drink and smoke the former without looking over your shoulder or being made to feel like a freak. perhaps to those of you in weed legal places, this has entirely lost its novelty but I'd still little short of revelatory to me, even after 30 years. And. let's face it, with it's sparse traffic and beautiful architecture, and all the other many attractions, Amsterdam remains a great place to visit. But that counterculture vibe is now barely present. And being forced to buy weed and a drink almost everywhere, it seems is definitely not the vibe of yesteryear.

Do go, if you can. Maybe you wont be able to AT ALL if things keep changing the way they seem to have done. I'll still go there if it's on my way home and I get the chance. But I wont make any special weekend trips there again. My era or eras in Amsterdam are in the past. The tourist who go to Amsterdam now are a different crowd, not least because hotels there are so bloody expensive these days. And maybe we no longer need it the way it used to be, a mad hold out city, the (almost the only) one place o earth where you could toke in public in peace. Our American and Canadian cousins have that for themselves now, and that's only to be celebrated. On this side of the pond, we now have buyers clubs in Spain and no doubt sometime soon something similar in Germany. Roll on the good times. Farewell old Amsterdam!

Last edited:

Senior Grower

Chili Canna Gourmet
Great report.

La Tertulia should be on Prinsengracht - you probably mixed that up with my "Lucky Mothers"-thread. That place was on Keizersgracht :)

And yes, I always passed Tertulia in the old days, too. From what I read they have some of the best weed in town since they are connected to some serious growers. Well, at least something I can look forward to. Hearing what you describe a lot of the old A'dam vibe has gone. I will certainly miss Lucky M., Cafe 55, the old Hard Rock downtown and a few other places. At least the T'IJ brewery is still there (well, no cannabis there, but a beautiful setting for a microbrew).

I hear you mention one place where you can smoke weed from elsewhere. Back in the day, we used to wander from one coffeeshop to another all day but if we had bought weed in each and every one we would still be couch locked there, somewhere :)

The very first time I was in A'dam must have been the very late 70's, early 80's. Back then, most of downtown was still a shithole with lots of real drug addicts making the streets dangerous - at least for your valuables. I still remember coffeeshops that sold cocaine in the back and probably lots of other things, illegally. It is great they pretty quickly separated that scene from the grass smokers early in the mid-eighties, I believe.

The first few years we stayed in a small hotel on Damrak (Van Gelder I believe it was - oh, that still exists). Then we got smarter. Rented an appartment in the area. Then we found a hostel where you could rent double rooms for a fair price, a little outside but very nice. Always played one of the staff at their pinball machine down in the hall late at night to relax a bit. I think it was called the Arena. Not quite sure. Was a huge old building near a park.

After that we found the very best. Houseboats. This made staying in Amsterdam much more enjoyable. We got up late, fed the ducks around us, had our huge breakfasts and then took our rented bikes to town. This is how I would like to stay again next time I go. If the coffeeshop scene puts me down (from what you describe very likely), I still have the houseboat.

I sure will miss the Positronics club. Still have a key to that one :)

Sadly, I won't be able to make it this summer.

Oh, BTW - can you still smoke stuff that you bought in a coffeeshop the day before right from them and just order a coffee or so? Or is that a no-no nowadays, too? Someone know?

goingrey

I thought it was always the case that you had to buy a drink to stay and smoke, even if you bought weed. Or if not a must at least customary.

Senior Grower

Chili Canna Gourmet
I thought it was always the case that you had to buy a drink to stay and smoke, even if you bought weed. Or if not a must at least customary.
Well, yes. No problem there. But @limegreenlimey said that now you have to buy drinks AND weed, both! Which is a bummer. Because I loved to check out different scenes, music etc. in different coffeeshops. And you just can't buy weed in each one if you stay for a week ...

limegreenlimey

You always had to buy a drink. If you were in a bigger group, maybe one or two people would get away with buying nothing but basically that much was true. These days you have to buy a drink AND and smoke, not one or the other. And this is what I object to. It has come about, no doubt, as result of overcrowding and higher rents, among other things, but it's not a great development.

limegreenlimey

Adding to the list of places you can smoke but not buy weed... Stones on Warmoesstraat. It is a pub/bar that's smoker friendly. It wasn't what I was looking for last week as I am not a daytime drinker but... Worth noting these places unless you are cash rich enough to buy a gram everywhere you go, which I am not.

limegreenlimey

Great report.

La Tertulia should be on Prinsengracht - you probably mixed that up with my "Lucky Mothers"-thread. That place was on Keizersgracht :)

And yes, I always passed Tertulia in the old days, too. From what I read they have some of the best weed in town since they are connected to some serious growers. Well, at least something I can look forward to. Hearing what you describe a lot of the old A'dam vibe has gone. I will certainly miss Lucky M., Cafe 55, the old Hard Rock downtown and a few other places. At least the T'IJ brewery is still there (well, no cannabis there, but a beautiful setting for a microbrew).

I hear you mention one place where you can smoke weed from elsewhere. Back in the day, we used to wander from one coffeeshop to another all day but if we had bought weed in each and every one we would still be couch locked there, somewhere :)

The very first time I was in A'dam must have been the very late 70's, early 80's. Back then, most of downtown was still a shithole with lots of real drug addicts making the streets dangerous - at least for your valuables. I still remember coffeeshops that sold cocaine in the back and probably lots of other things, illegally. It is great they pretty quickly separated that scene from the grass smokers early in the mid-eighties, I believe.

The first few years we stayed in a small hotel on Damrak (Van Gelder I believe it was - oh, that still exists). Then we got smarter. Rented an appartment in the area. Then we found a hostel where you could rent double rooms for a fair price, a little outside but very nice. Always played one of the staff at their pinball machine down in the hall late at night to relax a bit. I think it was called the Arena. Not quite sure. Was a huge old building near a park.

After that we found the very best. Houseboats. This made staying in Amsterdam much more enjoyable. We got up late, fed the ducks around us, had our huge breakfasts and then took our rented bikes to town. This is how I would like to stay again next time I go. If the coffeeshop scene puts me down (from what you describe very likely), I still have the houseboat.

I sure will miss the Positronics club. Still have a key to that one :)

Sadly, I won't be able to make it this summer.

Oh, BTW - can you still smoke stuff that you bought in a coffeeshop the day before right from them and just order a coffee or so? Or is that a no-no nowadays, too? Someone know?
Thanks corrected Prinsengracht

limegreenlimey

I didn't try. I doubt it. I suspect it might depend on how busy they are and if the staff remember you (kindly!). Probably worth asking as a way of setting out your stall "I only have time for a quick smoke now. Is it ok if I come back and smoke the rest later, without having to buy some more? I'll buy a drink of course! [smile]" Maybe it will work? I doubt it will work the next day!

Senior Grower

Chili Canna Gourmet
I didn't try. I doubt it. I suspect it might depend on how busy they are and if the staff remember you (kindly!). Probably worth asking as a way of setting out your stall "I only have time for a quick smoke now. Is it ok if I come back and smoke the rest later, without having to buy some more? I'll buy a drink of course! [smile]" Maybe it will work? I doubt it will work the next day!
Sheesh. I remember we bought 150 G. worth of great Afghan, Nepalese or Manali hash in the old days in a place to come back all week. Buying drinks, but not much more.

Also heard that the limit nowadays is 5 grams.

limegreenlimey

Sheesh. I remember we bought 150 G. worth of great Afghan, Nepalese or Manali hash in the old days in a place to come back all week. Buying drinks, but not much more.

Also heard that the limit nowadays is 5 grams.
This is why I think their strategy is not just annoying. I think it is counterproductive. It discourages people from buying cannabis and from buying drinks, even though it's intended to do the reverse. Perhaps it's just that, with so many fewer coffeeshops than there used to be, the survivors are guaranteed a steady flow of customers and they can afford to turn away people who will just buy drinks? But somehow I doubt it.
I have some further reflections on my visit that I'll post later. Got to write my Colombia report first!

Senior Grower

Chili Canna Gourmet
Colombia sounds great. Still searching for Punto Rojo seed. Got Mangobiche now. Colombian grass (if you got the real McCoy) used to be great stuff in the late 70's on the US West Coast. As always, a lot of crap was also sold as "Colombian Gold" or whatever. But some excellent stuff could sometimes be found among the mediocre or bad.

badass-eu

I always wanted to go visit these famous coffee shops in Amsterdam, the colleagues who went there were delighted at the time but when I see your story I find it sad and removes this desire unfortunately I would have liked to find this atmosphere of yesteryear but it is becoming commercial if I may say among other things...

Senior Grower

Chili Canna Gourmet
I always wanted to go visit these famous coffee shops in Amsterdam, the colleagues who went there were delighted at the time but when I see your story I find it sad and removes this desire unfortunately I would have liked to find this atmosphere of yesteryear but it is becoming commercial if I may say among other things...
Well, I am sure you will still find some interesting places. If you have never been there, it is still going to be a treat. There are a lot of sights always worth seeing.

Yes, it is sad that they apparently over-commercialised the place. Nevertheless, if you don't know how it was 30 years ago, you at least won't miss it as much :-(

limegreenlimey

I still recommend going.

Amsterdam offers far more than just the cannabis scene, for a start. And don't be fooled by rose tinted memories: many of the coffeeshops in the Dam and elsewhere in the Netherlands were shit. There has always been a lot of second rate weed and hash. There have always been places with rude staff. There have always been loud, uncomfortable places with a bad atmosphere. To be continued...

goingrey

How about all the places where the weed and coffee aren't even from the same counter, like Dampkring and so on. I guess they won't mind outside weed? Speaking of outside, I mean, just smoke outside? :D

limegreenlimey

How about all the places where the weed and coffee aren't even from the same counter, like Dampkring and so on. I guess they won't mind outside weed? Speaking of outside, I mean, just smoke outside? :D
Just smoking in the street etc is and always has been frowned upon in Amsterdam. That's not to say people don't do it, but they make stoners unpopular, so I try to avoid doing that kind of thing. I think it's fine in the park...

Don't know about places like Dampkring. Sadly, I didn't time to go there, this time. They've always had some of the best (and most expensive!) pot in the Dam. The first full melt quality hash I smoked in Amsterdam was from there (Moonshine II).

limegreenlimey

Further reflections

One of the reasons that I was so keen on visiting Amsterdam again, other than the obvious, was to see for myself what all the reports about "over tourism" were about. Before and since COVID, there's much talk in the press about "overcrowding", "massification", etc in places like Amsterdam, Venice, Barcelona etc. And in the case of Amsterdam, this has been welded to the long-heard complaints about "the wrong kind of tourists", a stick which has been used over the years to beat the cannabis scene.

This idea has never rung true for me. Having travelled there many times over the decades, I have, of course, seen and been embarrassed by groups of young men, sloshed, high, chanting and vomiting. I don't like it "at home" and abroad it has always made me cringe. And, yes, probably once or twice I have overdone it myself, not so much with the booze, but to the point that I have been a mumbling, stumbling stoner, too far gone to be invited anywhere for tea with granny or the kids. So, I can sympathise a little with the complaints, but not so much that I agree that the nuisance constitutes a genuine problem.

The Mayor of Amsterdam , Famke Halsema is certainly not a fan. She is quoted as saying:
“Many of the major problems in the city are fueled by the cannabis market: from nuisance caused by drug tourism to serious crime and violence. Banning sales to tourists is a necessary intervention… and the first step towards regulation,”

I just don't see it. There's like much crime one would never see. Clearly there is and always has been a link between the coffeeshops and organised crime ... and it's good to see that the Dutch Government are finally experimenting with traceable supply and true legalisation. But the notion that the international stoners who descend on the city are the cause of much disruption never has made sense to me nor is something I have ever witnessed. And after this, admittedly brief, visit, it still hasn't.

Is there over-tourism in Amsterdam? Undoubtedly it is busy with tourists. And it always as been. Over the years, I have seen more people come to Amsterdam from some groups and a few less from others. There are more Chinese tourists now than in 1993, just as there are everywhere. You don't see them fighting in the streets though. There are more middle aged women from the UK in the city than ever before. Many more. If last week's visit is anything to judge by, that's the most obvious change in the city's visitors. More families. More "ordinary people". What there was much less sign of? Stoners. Especially American stoners, who used to be everywhere but now don't need to cross the Atlantic for a legal puff. Now I wasn't there on a Friday night - and have long avoided the city on Friday nights - so I didn't stand so much chance of seeing gangs of drunken Brits on birthdays and stag nights. But really, are there so many? It's a bloody pricey city (always has been, now even more so) and there are lots of other places that are easy to get to for stag parties these days. Has it got worse? I have to say, I doubt it.

So why does the coffeeshop scene have to carry so much blame for Amsterdam's tourism problems? Because it's an easy target. I strongly suspect the same is true of the tarts in the Red Light District. Coffeeshops and knocking shops just occupy space where other businesses want to be. Businesses owned by richer and more influential people. The Red Light District in particular is one of the most attractive parts of the city, in terms of canals and buildings. It's no stretch of the imagination to see that part of the city as being chock full of high end restaurants, galleries and shops. I am sure that these clearances are driven by the promise of profit.

And why is Halsema so driven by personal animus against cannabis? She's a Green and claims liberal-left politics. You would expect her to be on the side of the coffeeshops. Just a theory, ladies and gentlemen, but having checked her CV... in her past ...

She was a PE teacher!

Senior Grower

Chili Canna Gourmet
Just smoking in the street etc is and always has been frowned upon in Amsterdam. That's not to say people don't do it, but they make stoners unpopular, so I try to avoid doing that kind of thing. I think it's fine in the park...
Well, just walking while smoking - yes. But there have been all of those cafes on the canals where you could sit outside and smoke. Susie's Saloon is a remnant of yesteryear. There used to be 5 or 6 places on that corner alone. Sitting there and watching the canal and the tourists walk by was (and hopefully still is) just great while having a beer and a smoke.

The Mayor of Amsterdam , Famke Halsema is certainly not a fan. She is quoted as saying:
“Many of the major problems in the city are fueled by the cannabis market: from nuisance caused by drug tourism to serious crime and violence. Banning sales to tourists is a necessary intervention… and the first step towards regulation,”
Well, the only way I can understand this is that they are fed up with the serious crime behind the scenes. Which is the politicians' own fault. Because they never fully legalised the supply chain. Practically, every supplier of the coffeeshops was and is in fact illegal. So, obviously, those people more and more came from the "dark side". Which resulted in shootings and murder. Stuff you never saw in the coffeeshops themselves. But it went so far that society was in fact endangered by that mob - for example when that famous journalist de Vries got killed in the middle of Amsterdam. Judges and others were threatened as well.
and it's good to see that the Dutch Government are finally experimenting with traceable supply and true legalisation.
Exactly. They should have done that so long ago. Before it got out of hand and some Mafia-types got filthy rich. Adding to that the very lenient laws in Europe did not help. I don't believe in tough laws for minor offenses, but when it gets to people getting seriously hurt or murdered by gangs, I don't think they should be released into society as fast as they often are.
But the notion that the international stoners who descend on the city are the cause of much disruption never has made sense to me nor is something I have ever witnessed. And after this, admittedly brief, visit, it still hasn't.

Now I wasn't there on a Friday night - and have long avoided the city on Friday nights - so I didn't stand so much chance of seeing gangs of drunken Brits on birthdays and stag nights. But really, are there so many? It's a bloody pricey city (always has been, now even more so) and there are lots of other places that are easy to get to for stag parties these days. Has it got worse? I have to say, I doubt it.
Exactly.
So why does the coffeeshop scene have to carry so much blame for Amsterdam's tourism problems? Because it's an easy target.
Yes. And also due to still existing pressure from EU politicians from tough-on-drugs parties.

What makes the attacks on Amsterdam stoners even crazier: every city/place with a lot of tourists has some problems. Those could be locals badly cheating the foreigners all over the place (like in Prague), it could be much worse problems with drunks like in Munich during the Oktoberfest. Or, it could be something like Venice where ecological problems were so bad that cruise ships had to be banned.

And thinking about soccer which is on here at the moment: soccer fans misbehave so much worse in many cities but they don't get any real flak. Where politicians should want to hand out some tough rules because of them. Doesn't happen, because those same politicians just don't dare to lose voters over tougher laws. Over here, they don't even dare to charge FIFA and their German counterpart for the enormous amounts of police they additionally need for some games.

Cross-checking any alcohol-infused events like New Year's Eve, beer fests etc. with what happens in Amsterdam is just laughable. With the sole exception of the "behind-the-scenes" illegal supply of cannabis. Which is the politicians' own fault.

Being tough on stoners is so much easier without the kind of consequences facing them when regulating alcohol or soccer hooligans. So, we are the scapegoats because a conservative thinking majority likes to put the blame on us.