What's new

$$$Air Pots and Smart Pots Club$$$

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
I'm also very interested in trying out these pots from these folks, they claim to be created by the Dr that stumbled across "air pruning" and made the "Root Maker" and "Root Builder" Root Trapper ect the site has tons of air pruning pots and bags and the RootBuilder2 looks a lot like a Air Pot and the square Root Maker pots are trippy. Be sure to download the free catalog it's got a lot good stuff in it for us Cannabis growers...

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
What an idiot I am - I copied GrnMtnGrwr's link to open in another window and when I found the article I failed to copy the correct link to the study - duh!

I fixed the link and tested it out - it's working correctly now.

Wee!

CC

LOL!!! Dude it's STILL taking me to that thread hahaha

pretty simple. here is a comparison. same strain, same nutes, same lights, same system, same veg time! The only difference is I let the small one go a little over 8 weeks and the big one was cut exactly at week 7.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Thanks bro!! I was hoping you would do that and show how big a difference it made, and in a smaller pot at that! I'll blow em up and make it easy for everybody to see cuz that's a damn good comparison...

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
I too use both Smart Pots and Air Pots in my grows. I've never used anything else, so I can't compare them to other pots out there. I also can't compare the two against each other, because the AP's are 5 gallons and the SP's are 3. But I can say that I do love them! I've gotten nothing but great results so far (in my 3rd grow now), and I have no plans to stop using them (going to use the AP's again next grow, because I want the extra 2 gallons).

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
picture.php

Purple Kush in a regular 3 gal pot of coco/perlite little over 8 weeks

picture.php

Purple Kush in a 2gal Air Pot of coco/perlite same nutes as above and only 7 weeks!!!

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
I didn't take pics of my ghetto Air Pots (made by cutting slits in red 16 oz dixie cups) but the roots were starting to poke out. I transplanted two plants into Smart Pots this last weekend. One of the plants is "Chemdog Krush" and went into a smart pot...another "Chemdog Krush" went into a regular pot. I'll take pics and post 'em up here when I get the chance.

picture.php

Purple Kush in a regular 3 gal pot of coco/perlite little over 8 weeks

picture.php

Purple Kush in a 2gal Air Pot of coco/perlite same nutes as above and only 7 weeks!!!
Im considering going with a few air pots to try out.. what was the difference in veg/ training in those two?

Blckbrd

I grabbed 8 3-gal air pots & am looking forward to transplanting into them. They were @ $9 each, but sounds like they were worth it.

Gonna go right into them from 16 oz cups & see what happens. Soil w/ guano, manure, neem meal, FFOF, and a few others ... gonna go light on the perlite & mix in a bit more organics banking on the roots breathing more.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Im considering going with a few air pots to try out.. what was the difference in veg/ training in those two?

That's the thing, there was no difference he didn't change anything he did but the pots and the clones were the same size and then vegged the same amount of time with the same nutrient mix and grown under the same lights ect

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
I grabbed 8 3-gal air pots & am looking forward to transplanting into them. They were @ $9 each, but sounds like they were worth it.

Gonna go right into them from 16 oz cups & see what happens. Soil w/ guano, manure, neem meal, FFOF, and a few others ... gonna go light on the perlite & mix in a bit more organics banking on the roots breathing more.

Yea you will have super happy micro life I'd guess growing with soil in a Air Pot is like Coco in a regular pot? Maybe better of course but in terms of speed of growth and shit it's probably close but you'll have tons of mircobial life going crazy and multiplying more than they would due to the availability of more oxygen.. It'd be interesting to see a organic soil grow vs a coco/synthetic nutes in Air Pots and see which one does better. I think I might do 1 plant with FFOF and use the Humboldt Nutrients organic line I have and get the Myco Madness to use with it and that shit will probably go crazy! I see how fast my girls grow in them already but with added Mycorrizahe and Trichoderma they'd really be growing and breathing on steroids it would seem like...

weezybeezy-neither of those two plants were trained or topped at all. veged for 14 days. the one in air pot was veged in the air pot.

I cant wait to get the tiny air pots to veg in first than go to bigger air pots because Im told that Is where the real magic happens. maybe than i will start my first thread?! Regardless though people, at the very very least these things should cut your veg time by half or so. If its your first time with these pots and you are using a tent or are limited on space do not veg them for your usual time...

The only bad things- not being able to use them for flood and drain tables AND If anyone has any problems with those stupid little fungas gnats or whatever they are that feed and breed in the very top of your mix, make sure you take care of em before bringing in air pots because just like your roots those things thrive in there with the added holes...

ThaTriangle

I have had very good luck with air pots and smart pots. I hve used 2 and 5 gallon indoors, and was impressed. also used 55 gallon and 100 gallon outdoors, great results.

one thing u hear about them is u have to water more because of the airpurning. water may evaporate faster because they can breath better. This wont be as big of a issue indoors in a hydro setup or something where water is readily available.

OUTdoors, I have noticed a slight difference in the 100 gallon smarties drying out faster than the girls straight in the ground. probably due to root area being at higher temps than in ground plants. Overall worth the investment in my eyes being that they are reusable, just get some and give them a test run yourself!

G

Godless

The only bad things- not being able to use them for flood and drain tables

I don't get it. Why couldn't you use a smartpot on a F&D table? Seems similar to the big netpots that I use instead of regular pots.

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
Well this thread convinced me to give the smart pots a try! You can't deny the difference in those two pics, so yeah gonna be doing this real soon, thanks TD for making this up hope to have something to show in a few months

G

Godless

You can use Smart Pots on a flood and drain system just not Air Pots

I apologize if I am being a dufus, but I'm just not getting why the air pot wouldn't work on a flood and drain table? To me, it seems like the smart pot would work better than the air pot since it has real holes so it would drain the water out faster (like the big netpots I use on my E&F table).

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Well this thread convinced me to give the smart pots a try! You can't deny the difference in those two pics, so yeah gonna be doing this real soon, thanks TD for making this up hope to have something to show in a few months

Oh but dude Castelvetro said one guy said they lost next to a regular pot so they are a waste of money hahahaha I would go Air Pot over Smart Pot only cuz I like the fact my roots aren't sitting in plastic with run off water ...

What's everybody think about these RootBuilder2 and Root Maker pots? The guy at the shop said that the Root Builder2 was cheaper than the Air Pots and if that's the case I'm gonna have to get some to try side by side since they look damn near the same. Plus I like that they were designed by the guy that discovered "Air Pruning"