What's new

A question for the wise

Hey guys, it has been a long time since I have made a post on ic and I figure it's about time I get things rolling again. I am looking to start a new garden this time however, i would like to grow some vegetables. I know this might not be the right place for it but I figured I could get some positive feedback from those who have helped me in the past. With the knowledge I have of growing the wonderful plant I was curious to know if I can use the same knowledge towards growing other fruits and vegetables? I know there might be some differences if I wanted to grow a tomato or pepper plant indoors, but is the basic idea the same? If I use my same line of fertilizers and growing methods would I be able to produce a nice yield of vegetables? In my past three grows, here is what I have acquired:
- all temperature, humidity and air circulation factors have been accounted for
- i will be growing in a soilless medium that is pro mix, worm castings, bone and blood meal, epsom salts for the initial stages of growing (roughly first month) should i use the same ratio with perlite? should soil be super aerated for vegetables and fruits?
- 430 w hps
- foodwise i have 3 part ionic system (grow, bloom and boost)
- floralicious plus, liquid karma, epsom salts and molasses throughout growth

my main question is am i supposed to induce fruiting by switching the photoperiod? I am attending some university courses right now that has sparked up my horticultural roots again and i am very interested in getting my garden growing asap. :rant:

you guys are great
dbd

G

Plants have different requirements depending on which one it is, you should research each individual plant you want to figure out what it needs.

For example, tomatoes need to have a good amount of calcium available, and if let dry, the tomatoes will develope bottom end rot, caused by lack of water which leads to lack of calcium...etc....and watering tomatoes all at once very heavily can cause the fruits to burst...

This is a good site w/ tons of info
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums

You will have to simulate the correct photoperiods for the plant you want, and don't forget that in many plants just 1minute of light during a night time phase is enough to induce fruiting in some plants

Last edited:

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yea something that happened with my tomatoes last year was black rotten spots on the underneath due to irregular watering. Watered them like clockwork this year and had loads of nice tomatoes :D

It's worth looking up specific info on what you're thinking of growing :wave:

G

Yeah, so many plants vary, but it's so easy to find what each wants, thanks to the 'net

this is the kind of input i definatly needed, i've been reading up on some plants and it says that most vegetables and fruits are not really that great for growing indoors. Now, knowing that cheebs can grow very nicely indoors, is it safe to say that vegetables will too? Any recommendations as to which type of fruit or vegetable a beginner should try? Remember that I have some knowledge and I am a total greenhorn, just wondering which ones you have had experience with and can say are "easier" to grow indoors than other ones.
dbd

G

I've never tried growing indoors with these kinds of things, the 1 thing that would seem to pose a problem would be the photoperiods, but greenhouses grow these things alllllll the time with HID lights so it's doable

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
You have to realize that the value of those vegetables is far less than ganja, and growing them indoors is an expensive proposition, compared to purchasing them from a store that carries organic produce. They will cost you 5-10x as much.

S

Space Ghost

green bell peppers or bush beans are very forgiving vegies to start with, maters are a little more tricky. I'f you have a serious and intelligent question about light cycles for your specific plant, e-mail a plant bio prof at your school. I'm sure they would be happy to help.

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pops said:
You have to realize that the value of those vegetables is far less than ganja, and growing them indoors is an expensive proposition, compared to purchasing them from a store that carries organic produce. They will cost you 5-10x as much.

So true - I grow veggies outdoors for that reason. Unless you want to grow super veg for showing off in competitions I'd stick to the veg patch for anything you want to eat. It's not very viable to grow veg indoors, the space constraints will stop you growing enough vegetables to make it worth while.

But if you want to start up a new hobby of growing veg, get a green house or a small lean-to. Even polly tunnels would be good :wave:

S

Space Ghost

I think he/she wants to grow just for the fun and joy of growing, not strictly for the harvest. Plus, he/she could grow rare heirloom plants that you will not find in any store.

After reading some of the input it seems that growing fruits and veggies wouldn't be the best bet for indoors. I think I jumped too quickly on that one, what I really want to do is just grow something. It can't be cannabis... yet, but I have all the required tools for indoor growing. I've got an itch to grow plants that I'm sure all of you have experienced before.

I've grown the magic plant over at a buddies house on numerous occasions, but I'm looking to start something up in my house... with my parents. I am responsible adult and I think the best way of showing my parents that this is the case is by showing them that I can grow plants and be responsible about it. Not just growing for the sake of smoking. My education has further itched my growing finger and now it's coming to the point where I am looking to put this into action.

I'm not putting words in my parents mouths or anything like that, but they know: a) that I smoke all the time
b) that I am very responsible

I would never just jump into growing cannabis into my parents house without their consent, but I see growing other plants with a positive outcome as a beneficial way of showing them that I can do it responsibly. I don't want to tell them that I want to grow cannabis because they would misunderstand and think that I am growing for the sake of smoking. I am growing for the sake of learning with a great reward for the hard work that I put in. That was the main reason why I wanted to start growing vegetables, so I could show them something that I have grown on my own and without the help of anyone or anything (ie. sun)

I thought that would be the best way of showing them that I'm not in it for the sake of smoking. I love nature and everything about it, that's what I would like my parents to understand when I tell them that I would to grow cannabis.

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dangbongdang said:
I thought that would be the best way of showing them that I'm not in it for the sake of smoking. I love nature and everything about it, that's what I would like my parents to understand when I tell them that I would to grow cannabis.

Grow some Orchids. They require a bit of growing knowledge and are a very interesting plant, and you can use similar set ups for cannabis. :wave:

Latest posts

Latest posts