What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

A Brooklyn Cherry Magnate Killed Himself After Police Discovered a Pot Farm in His Fa

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
This is just sad.

A Brooklyn Cherry Magnate Killed Himself After Police Discovered a Pot Farm in His Factory

February 27, 2015

Dell's Maraschino Cherries is a nondescript brick warehouse on Dikeman Street in Red Hook, Brooklyn. It's one of those quiet buildings you'd walk by every day without noticing; the only way some neighbors know Dell's there is because of the viscous syrup that leaks down the sidewalk and into the gutter, which has historically caused neighborhood bees to turn the color of cough syrup.

After the recession, the business was veering dangerously toward the red. But instead of throwing in the towel, 57-year-old owner Arthur Mondella invested $5 million over the course of five years, which ultimately meant he could churn out twice as much fruit. To celebrate, according to a press release from last October, Dell's came out with a new logo, label and website—all intended to reflect "the many recent changes the company has undergone and its vision for the future."

"We felt we had to do something to kick-start sales," Mondella told the Daily News about his company's reinvention in November. "We are looking to get our name out there to show people it's a different company."

On Tuesday, police found out just how different the Dell's of today was from the factory Mondella's grandfather and father founded in 1948. Officers had obtained a warrant to look for evidence that he was polluting the water in Red Hook. But they found a shady-looking set of shelves held together by magnets and detected the smell of weed.

To read the rest: http://www.vice.com/read/a-brooklyn...lice-discovered-a-pot-farm-in-his-factory-227

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
With that kind of business and growing weed in New York, you know he has cash stacked...

A good lawyer would of got him probation, would of spent only a few hours in jail till he bailed out...

Dummy, dont play the game if you cant take the consequence...

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Probation on a fed case? Doubt it. He was 57, guess he didn't wanna die in a federal penitentiary.
The trafficking alone is 15-25 in New York on the state level... with 15 year mandatory minimum.
He knew he was going to die in jail, poor bastard.
Im lookin to see if they seize the business.

messed up!

I usually think to myself when in large commercial buildings."Their could be a giant grow in here some where and we are all unsuspecting"(except me of course) haha

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dude should have waited to see if the cops immediately began removing evidence.
Just considering the warrant...
The cops can only remove items called for in the warrant. If cops discover criminal activity not associated with their search or they search areas not specifically called for in the warrant...
Any evidence removed, previous to another warrant being issued for the removal of said evidence, cannot be used in court.

messed up!

I usually think to myself when in large commercial buildings."Their could be a giant grow in here some where and we are all unsuspecting"(except me of course) haha

Hahaha...
Me too...
except the earth is my warehouse & I hike a lot. :D

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
Cleaning up red hook no doubt

alg-ikea-jpg.jpg

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
growing cannabis in joey gallos old area of Brooklyn!!!!,,
big balls,,,,s2

vostok

Veteran
a-brooklyn-cherry-magnate-killed-himself-after-police-discovered-a-pot-farm-in-his-factory-227-body-image-1425074878.jpg

A real shame the journalist is an idiot,

with the news I like to read,

I like to leave the opinions up to us, .. the readers,

I fear there are many stories like this coming up

Last edited:

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
You know what I find weird about this whole story?

The kat said "take care of my children" then excused himself and then committed suicide in the bathroom....

ANYONE who has delt with the law, no matter how SMALL the infraction, knows that the police WILL NOT let you excuse yourself/leave/or anything of that nature...

ESPECIALLY in New York where cops are getting killed because they are cops...

WHOLE THING DONT MAKE SENSE, AND WHEN IT DON'T MAKE SENSE, ITS NOT TRUE!

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
I would have to say he over-reacted, I don't see why a 57 year old owner could just say he didn't know , must of made mill's , could paid a cuzin to do the bid , didn't have to take his own life,... maybe cops knockd him for the paper,
guess this a lesson to guys venting down the sewer, at first they were looking into a dumping infraction, or could b a sewer break once they smell / see that hot sweet air coming out your shit pipe , u done,..
with a cherry on top...

TS

mowood3479

Veteran
With that kind of business and growing weed in New York, you know he has cash stacked...

A good lawyer would of got him probation, would of spent only a few hours in jail till he bailed out...

Dummy, dont play the game if you cant take the consequence...

Idk, the guy handled it how he wanted to.. On his terms... I try not to question another person choice to stop breathing.
It's not like he snitched anyone out, they don't even know who helped run it. Mayb he had terminal cancer n thought he'd fall on the sword for the sake of all else involved. Just saying who knows? Mayb the cops shot him? Mayb he had partners who had threatened his family? All speculation really cause the guy who knew took it to his grave.

N also I'm pretty sure there is no way even with the best legal team to get probation on a bust like that in ny..My two cents anyway but if it had been me I'd have taken the bust, made bail n bounced to anywhere were they won't bring u back here

waste water and utilities

waste water and utilities

ive herd of waste water department coming after fools who dump too much ac condensation+rez waste down the drain that = more then thier useage. so maybe he was DTW+no reusing his ac and dehue water and they figured it out that way?? I always reuse both my self fuck the feds

soserthc1

Legal in wash , co and Oregon but can cause your life to be ruined in New York

Does thus seem right ... One nation ..ya da ya da

Waiting to see if they take the business ? Yea um ok consider that shit gone

Red Fang

Veteran
I am surprised no one mentioned it, if the story is true he got busted because of the red liquid.... ok so yeah he has a cherry business, but still the liquid gave them the excuse of trying to get him for pollution, which then enabled them to get a warrant. I know if I was growing in a warehouse, I would not have cough syrup-like liquid oozing out of it, there had to be a better way of dealing with that than just letting it gush out all over the place! So Dumb!