What's new

36 Years since Jimi's death

Tarkus

Mother Nature's Son
Veteran
Well today is the 36th anniversary of the death of one of the greatest men to pick up the ax.
James Marshall Hendrix (born Johnny Allen Hendrix) was found dead in the basement apartment of the Samarkand Hotel, London, during the early morning hours. He spent the night with then girlfriend Monika Dannemann, and died in bed after drinking wine and taking nine Vesperax sleeping pills.
I will smoke a fat one for ya Jimi, and your music is dearly missed. Glad you put out what you did though, but you were beginning to take on a new sound there at the end. Absolutely unbelievable in concert, my personal favorite being at the Isle of Wight, excellent dvd.
So rock on, and light one up in honor of this innovative genius. :joint:

Another good dvd is Jethro Tull, and Emerson, Lake and Palmer at the Isle of Wight festival. Two of the best drum solos ever...

M

Mr. Nevermind

Thank god for Jimi! He only did a few albums but his 3 years he gave us were the best 3 years of music. 67-70 was the best era and he was the best of the best. Only guitar player alive that can play close to how he did is Prince.

Oh , and while Isle of wright is a good show. I am a woodstock man. Jimi at woodstock was amazing.

Nevermind

GoodbyeBlueSky

Mr. Nevermind said:
Only guitar player alive that can play close to how he did is Prince.

i think jimmy page is a bit more technically skilled with the axe than prince...

just my opinion though...

Last edited:
M

Mr. Nevermind

GoodbyeBlueSky said:
i think jimmy page is a tad more technically skilled with the axe than prince...

And we all have a right to our opinions. so cool. I dont really know of any musician technically skilled than prince. On drums , bass, guitar and piano. he plays 33 instruments.

On a lighter note i would like to recast my vote for best Jimi show. While woodstock was fun to watch. The band of gypsys new year performance at the fillmore east was the best show ever. the solo on machine Gun? forget it

Nevermind

Tarkus

Mother Nature's Son
Veteran
Yeah, that was a damn good solo at the Fillmore East, damn good. Hell, everything he did was so amazing. Truly amazing.

GoodbyeBlueSky

oh hey, here's an amusing Jimi anecdote...

so i grew up in a town about an hour and a half north of seattle. a small town with a small school, so we had a few regular substitutes that would fill in for random classes.

one day we got into a discussion with one of our regular teachers about music. the teacher mentioned that we should ask mr. 'soandso' (the sub) about his student Jimi.

so of course we went and asked... turns out this old codger (he was about 80 at that point) had taught math in seattle in the late 50's and early 60's and had taught Jimi for a couple years.

apparently he told Jimi at one point that he would 'never amount to anything' due to his poor performance in school. the teacher said he had be kicking himself in the ass since then for making such an ignorant comment.

Last edited:
M

Mr. Nevermind

Yeah i find it amazing that Jimi couldnt read music. he just played. He said one time that hear hears the music in his head and just tried to play what he heard. amazing. A reason why Jimi is my favorite is that he wasnt an act. When he had a show he played the same songs but mad ethem different each time. Always changing never a set act. then he would play the most amazing covers.

There was a show he did in england on a saturday night. On thursday the beatles came out with Sgt. Peppers album and Jimi got it. He listened to it all day long until the show and with ringo and Paul in attendance of the show played his own version of the song and paul and ringo later admitted he played it better than they did. Also most peopel consider " All along the watch tower" his song he played it so well, when it was a cover also

nevermind

GoodbyeBlueSky

Mr. Nevermind said:
Also most peopel consider " All along the watch tower" his song he played it so well, when it was a cover also

yeah... i think Jimi made Rolling Stone's 1 hit wonder top 10 list back then for that song...

totally unappreciated in his time... watching the footage from woodstock is heartbreaking... there's like nobody left in the audience by the time he played...

M

Mr. Nevermind

GoodbyeBlueSky said:
yeah... i think Jimi made Rolling Stone's 1 hit wonder top 10 list back then for that song...

totally unappreciated in his time... watching the footage from woodstock is heartbreaking... there's like nobody left in the audience by the time he played...

I think the small amount of people there is beautiful. Only the die hards were there that morning , most had left by then. I think its great such a big star playing to a few people. Think about it, today do you think an act would even come out on stage and play their hearts out when most the crowd left? I doubt it, but Jimi just loved to play. Plus without alot of peopl ether he could just play. didnt have to use those gimmicks like fucking the amp or playing behind his head. He just got to play and people got to listen

nevermind

sparobis

Veteran
woodstock was amazing.
thats a fact jack!!! i prefer woodstock to isle of white also.....woodstock was filmed during the day which imo looks better than the isle concert..jimi looked/sounded very tired at the isle.....
yeah mr....woodstock movie is great..i watch it all the time..especially when baked!
i only wish they would have filmed the "band of gypsys"..the full concert..the film i seen was awful! those 2 back to back shows at the filmore were and still are legendary...even in hell! lmao
peace...."hear my train a coming"
hey mr.nevermind...did you like the b/w film of woodstock by the college kid? 35 years after the show..he breaks out the film!!!imagine what that piece of film would of been worth if he would of never released it? amazing
peace
sparo

M

Mr. Nevermind

sparobis said:
woodstock was amazing.
thats a fact jack!!! i prefer woodstock to isle of white also.....woodstock was filmed during the day which imo looks better than the isle concert..jimi looked/sounded very tired at the isle.....
yeah mr....woodstock movie is great..i watch it all the time..especially when baked!
i only wish they would have filmed the "band of gypsys"..the full concert..the film i seen was awful! those 2 back to back shows at the filmore were and still are legendary...even in hell! lmao
peace...."hear my train a coming"
hey mr.nevermind...did you like the b/w film of woodstock by the college kid? 35 years after the show..he breaks out the film!!!imagine what that piece of film would of been worth if he would of never released it? amazing
peace
sparo

They have a band of Gypsys live at filmore east dvd, i am playing it right now . Your post made me look for it and it on my shelf. I have this one, ilse of wright and woodstock on DVD. Filmore track list is

Who knows
machine gun
Changes
Power of soul
stepping stone
foxey lady
stop
earth blues

Nevermind

Laxpunker

GoodbyeBlueSky said:
i think jimmy page is a bit more technically skilled with the axe than prince...

He's not saying Prince is the best guitar player (I believe), he's just saying he's the closest one to Jimi's style. That I'll give him, even though I hate Purple Rain.

J

James-Bong

Ya, cause when im jammin out to Voodoo Child or Kiss The sky.... The only thing i want to do is turn it off and put some Purple Rain on...... :bat:

Last edited:
M

Mr. Nevermind

James-Bong said:
Ya, cause when im jammin out to Voodoo Child or Kiss They sky.... The only thing i want to do is turn it off and put some Purple Rain on...... :bat:

Purple rain is a piss poor example of his music. Was a pop album , there are over 30 other albu,s to chose from.

Look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLdVkoKNToE

Nevermind

sparobis

Veteran
hi mr,
i didnt know about that dvd..hows the quality? i think robin trower sounds more like jimi than prince....imo.
peace
sparo

M

Mr. Nevermind

sparobis said:
hi mr,
i didnt know about that dvd..hows the quality? i think robin trower sounds more like jimi than prince....imo.
peace
sparo

its a movie, then an hour of footage. Its the black and white footage we all know and love. Its ok, but black and white wiht trails so you take what you can get

nevermind

J

James-Bong

Yo, I can respect your Opinion about prince, the guy can play some guitar..... But Comparing him to Jimi would be like comparing George W. to FDR

IMO, Jimi was the last Musical genius of our time. A true Self taught music miracle.

As far as the comment about the greatest living Gutarist..... IMO, that title sits with Mr. Clapton.

jb :sasmokin: