What's new

2024 Market Gardens

hfm

Hi hfm... I'd like to see your new cacti. I have always been attracted to cactus, the lady at the nursery told me it was mostly men who bought cactus from her. I don't know if that holds true in all areas or just here. They are one of my favorite plants and there is considerable variation in them. I love the south western states with there assortment of cacti. You might even be able to compete with your collection of cacti.
I use to live with a woman from Ohio that lived here in BC, she made a trip to California before I knew her and she had brought back to Canada a cacti she collected wild in California. She gave me one about 30 years ago I still have a clone from the original. It survived outside here until it hit minus 25C.

OH, just heard some thunder. Only hope no forest fires get started. My wife just told me there has been 50 strikes in the area.

I enjoy birds, insects I don't know much about insects but like many living things in life they are full of unusual behaviour and capable of great feats.

I know the Ruby-throated, Rufous and the Anna's Hummingbird show up here for sure. There are others but not as common. I was surprised when I learnt that bears and hummingbirds have something in common. They both can go into a state of torpor.
I feed peanuts to the Steller's Jay most days, not a lot, but enough that they show up looking for them. Then they fly off looking for a place to hide them. Right now it's just a pair but soon I suspect the young ones will be following their parents about. You can always tell the young ones because they are always screeching at the adults.
The Steller's Jay is good at mimicking sounds it hears. It can sound like animals, birds and even machinery.

Take care hfm
Hello oldman,I will do a big update and answer you back.

Super busy framing and doing a bunch of drywall for mouse proof storage and a solid lung to pull from also took my two 5'*7.5'*10' rooms and pulled the wall out for a single 10'*7.5'*10' room.I hope things are going well with you and yours :).Best regards!