What's new

2024 Market Gardens

oldmaninbc

Yes, Portland Oregon. The wildfires were pretty bad a few years ago and the smoke rolled in. It stayed like that for about ten days. It sucked but knowing that some people were losing their homes and everything they owned made having to deal with some smoke seem insignificant.

Fortunately no fires/smoke as of now and the garden is growing. Supposed to be 90°f today and nice weather for the foreseeable future. I'm finishing up the raised beds and getting seeds in the ground.

View attachment 19000287
View attachment 19000288
View attachment 19000289
View attachment 19000290
That's a fine looking garden , well ahead of my area in south central BC. I use to do quite a bit of fishing with a fellow I knew from Portland. He was a young dentist out of school and the BC gov't offered him big tax relief if he set up practice in BC, he settled where I was living and we became friends. He later moved to Hawaii and we have lost touch.

Do you have watering restrictions where you live?
We can only water 2 days a week, twice a day from 6-10am and 6-10pm

We were evacuated from our home for about 2 weeks because of forest fire, it burnt as close as across the road. Fortunately that side of the road is not very populated. It is scary and your whole life seems on the line. Because of the steepness in the mountains here, firefighters have a difficult time accessing the burning areas.

Reactions: hfm

xtsho

That's a fine looking garden , well ahead of my area in south central BC. I use to do quite a bit of fishing with a fellow I knew from Portland. He was a young dentist out of school and the BC gov't offered him big tax relief if he set up practice in BC, he settled where I was living and we became friends. He later moved to Hawaii and we have lost touch.

Do you have watering restrictions where you live?
We can only water 2 days a week, twice a day from 6-10am and 6-10pm

We were evacuated from our home for about 2 weeks because of forest fire, it burnt as close as across the road. Fortunately that side of the road is not very populated. It is scary and your whole life seems on the line. Because of the steepness in the mountains here, firefighters have a difficult time accessing the burning areas.

No water restrictions here. We have lot's of water. It comes from the Bull Run watershed where a series of reservoirs have been constructed to hold rain water. In the summer as that rain water supplied source get's low there are well fields along the Columbia river where they pump groundwater if needed. People water their yards in the summer 24/7.

hfm

I have not heard of flushing a fishes system with clean water, that is a good idea. My son use to catch crayfish(crawdad) I would not eat them because of the mud tasting flavor, wonder if that would work on them.

I use to live in the Kitchener/Waterloo area for maybe a year or so, right in the heart of downtown. My sister lives there, has been there for decades. From the age of 11-23 I lived in Guelph just down the road from KW. I was born in Guelph but for the first 10-11 years lived in the Puslinch area south of Guelph, it was very rural at the time, went to 2 different one room schoolhouses
I use to attend concerts at the University in KW.

It has been many years since I have travelled back that way, health conditions make travel difficult
Thanks,We'd get some big yabbies in OZ and you could flush them and shrimp out just fine ;)

Were you around for the corner bakery that would do this strange free bagels to people who couldn't pay and an honor system of some sort? It's been awhile since then so it might be coming out wrong. I love the indoor farmers market.Would go to the amish meat stand for those wonderful smoked summer sausage.Oh gzz those were so good.
We seen a band come play a bar in Guelph but it was sold out and a line down the street.They set up and played a set outside for those people,then they came in and played for us.Pretty neat stuff.

What a small world :)

oldmaninbc

The Farmers market is just a great place to take in. My memory of it goes back to 4-5 years old, going there with my grandfather, sometimes to the auction to buy livestock, or the market for other products. I enjoyed it as a child and still enjoy as an adult. The amish have been making their food products for ages and selling at the market. The last time at the market I bought Jalapeno Jelly from an amish vendor.

I don't remember the bakery but my memory has a mind of it's own.

That's pretty neat about the band in Guelph.

I went to a bar in Guelph with my wife and a couple of friends, there was a well know Blues band playing. After a set they left. I felt like a walk around and went to see who was in the beer lounge. The place had only one person drinking a beer but the band was in there with a photographer and they were shooting a cover for an album. The band was sitting at two tables that were completely covered in draft beer and these white lines of salt laid out(LOL). I watched them doing all this, never said a word. When they were finished, ready to go play the next set, they looked at me and said, do you want this beer. So I sat there till my friend found me with two full tables of beer.

It sure is a small world.

I posted a few photos of the aurora last night, I love those natural light shows.

Reactions: hfm

hfm

Those are wonderful pictures you shared! :)

The beer up there is spectacular! That would of been a wonderful time ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts