What's new

1st U.S. Marijuana Cafe opens in Portland Ore.

homegrown_420

This IS the first of its kind. The difference between Oregon and California is in Oregon you cannot purchase MMJ. The cafe will be giving it away for a $25 monthly membership. They will rely on donations and the membership fees to be able to provide patients medicine.

T

TroubleGuy

This IS the first of its kind. The difference between Oregon and California is in Oregon you cannot purchase MMJ. The cafe will be giving it away for a $25 monthly membership. They will rely on donations and the membership fees to be able to provide patients medicine.

It's not the first of it's kind. There's another "cafe" that's been open in portland for some time, but very few people know about it as the guy is just a guy doing it himself and has been careful to keep it on the dl to avoid problems. Apparently, even the media isn't aware of it, and that is a good thing.

wintermute

Oregon MMJ Cafes

Oregon MMJ Cafes

The second is called Highway 420 according to reports. While it claims to be the first open on Oct. 31st the operator is in a riskier position because it is open the MMJ public at large and not a private club. The private part is necessary to comply with OMMA regulations regarding the use of marijuana by OMMP patients.

Consider Highway 420 the canary in a coal mine for Oregon MMJ Cafes. The Man will go after public access places like that before the private clubs probably. Let us hope neither one has a problem!

EDIT: TroubleGuy has set me straight. Both require a club membership and so both are on the same presumably solid legal footing.

Last edited:

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
I plan on stopping by with a few donations & checkin it out this week.

I like the "club" biz model...

T

TroubleGuy

wintermute has let the cat out of the bag, so here is the website for the REAL first marijuana "cafe" to open in Portland (probably not the usa, but who knows)... It's actually a head shop with a vaporizer lounge in back. All I can say, is leave it to portland to follow a model that works/worked well in one of our favorite countries - the netherlands! next thing you know we'll have coffee shops in our airports carrying it too :joint:

http://highway420store.com/

This place also has a "club" business model - The Highway 420 club, which you have to join to use their vaporizer lounge. It still seems unnecessary to me, because having an OMMP card should be all that's required to get in (again, my opinion), it'd be considered "private" if only OMMP patients can enter. At least that's how my logical way of thinking views it, but we all know the government has their own opinion on everything that doesn't make sense most of the time, so maybe norml and this guy are aware of something I'm not and did the membership thing for a reason... My :2cents:.

temunator

first cannabis cafe in oregon

first cannabis cafe in oregon

just found this in another forum :D

The First Cannabis Cafe Opens Because Of President Obama’s New Federal Policy

chronic.jpg

The United States’ first marijuana cafe opened on Friday, posing an early test of the Obama administration’s move to relax policing of medical use of the drug. The Cannabis Cafe in Portland, Oregon, is the first to give certified medical marijuana users a place to get hold of the drug and smoke it — as long as they are out of public view — despite a federal ban.

“This club represents personal freedom, finally, for our members,” said Madeline Martinez, Oregon’s executive director of NORML, a group pushing for marijuana legalization. “Our plans go beyond serving food and marijuana,” said Martinez. “We hope to have classes, seminars, even a Cannabis Community College, based here to help people learn about growing and other uses for cannabis.”

The cafe — in a two-story building which formerly housed a speak-easy and adult erotic club Rumpspankers — is technically a private club, but is open to any Oregon residents who are NORML members and hold an official medical marijuana card. Members pay $25 per month to use the 100-person capacity cafe. They don’t buy marijuana, but get it free over the counter from “budtenders”. Open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., it serves food but has no liquor license. There are about 21,000 patients registered to use marijuana for medical purposes in Oregon. Doctors have prescribed marijuana for a host of illnesses, including Alzheimer’s, diabetes, multiple sclerosis and Tourette’s syndrome.

On opening day, reporters invited to the cafe could smell, but were not allowed to see, people smoking marijuana. “I still run a coffee shop and events venue, just like I did before we converted it to the Cannabis Cafe, but now it will be cannabis-themed,” said Eric Solomon, the owner of the cafe, who is looking forward to holding marijuana-themed weddings, film festivals and dances in the second-floor ballroom.

The creation of the cafe comes almost a month after the Obama administration told federal attorneys not to prosecute patients who use marijuana for medical reasons or dispensaries in states which have legalized them. About a dozen states, including Oregon, followed California’s 1996 move to adopt medical marijuana laws, allowing the drug to be cultivated and sold for medical use. A similar number have pending legislation or ballot measures planned.

Pot cafes, known as “coffee shops”, are popular in the Dutch city of Amsterdam, where possession of small amounts of marijuana is legal. Portland’s Cannabis Cafe is the first of its kind to open in the United States, according to NORML. Growing, possessing, distributing and smoking marijuana are still illegal under U.S. federal law, which makes no distinction between medical and recreational use. Federal and local law enforcement agencies did not return phone calls from Reuters on Friday seeking comment on the Portland cafe’s operations.

Bossip.com » Archive The First Cannabis Cafe Opens Because Of President Obama’s New Federal Policy «

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
you missed the first sentance

The first weed cafe has opened in Portland, Oregon.

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
I think NORML are the perfect ones to jump first!
They have the media machine to really scream FOUL & the legal team to fight on, n on, n on, n on, n on... :dueling:

T

TroubleGuy

chef - read the replies bud, norml's cafe is not the first of it's kind. not in the usa, not even in portland.

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Hey bro I did :)
Agreed, its NOT an actual FIRST per se, but it is the first with the club biz model AFAIK?
Who cares anyway, the important thing is its open & the media is all over it ;)

BIG step forward for Oregon!

T

TroubleGuy

hell yeah it is. pretty sure the other one doesn't serve food, but honestly if you buy food from the weed cafe it's probably gonna be like buying drinks from a strip club in that it'll cost you a bit extra... haha, that's where they'll get us! :joint:

id imagine that the strains really arent that great if your only paying 25 a month for all you can smoke i dunno im a native oregonian living in las vegas atm so i totally see something like this flying up there but like my grandfather always has told me if it sounds too good to be true that it is