What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

12x Don King

Porky82

I'm not a beginner……

How do you explain that I have been running HPS here for 20 years and 1000 watt Gavia for the last 10 years without rot and since I started running LED, I have found rot in the thicker buds?
My air on and supply plus circulation has always remained the same.
Maybe you space has become contaminated.

Sativied

Veteran
You two are barking up the wrong tree. Which wouldn’t be so bad if the comments weren’t so wrong.

Botrytis is everywhere, it’s in the air and does well in the dutch humid mild climate. It’s literally everywhere. Sure poor ventilation and such risk plant infection but it’s not nearly that simple, especially not in PH Donner’s case who you can count on having a proper setup and clean space.

Botrytis thrives on green and far-red, light that the plants use less and penetrates. The radiation from HPS creates higher temps inside fat buds which directly makes it harder for botrytis to grow and spread.

link: Light plays a major role in the development of botrytis.

PH donner

I didn't say that you are a beginner.
What I wanted to say, I have been around forums for a long time. I know the stories about botrytis and how to prevent it. To come back to your comment about air and ventilation. If I were to double that, I would also double the number of bortytis spores along my plants. Just as said by Sativied it is everywhere.

You nailed it! @Sativied 👌
Thanks for the link!
I didn't know this was documented. I only experienced it and used my common sense on it

Porky82

You two are barking up the wrong tree. Which wouldn’t be so bad if the comments weren’t so wrong.

Botrytis is everywhere, it’s in the air and does well in the dutch humid mild climate. It’s literally everywhere. Sure poor ventilation and such risk plant infection but it’s not nearly that simple, especially not in PH Donner’s case who you can count on having a proper setup and clean space.

Botrytis thrives on green and far-red, light that the plants use less and penetrates. The radiation from HPS creates higher temps inside fat buds which directly makes it harder for botrytis to grow and spread.

link: Light plays a major role in the development of botrytis.
What I wanted to say, I have been around forums for a long time. I know the stories about botrytis and how to prevent it. To come back to your comment about air and ventilation. If I were to double that, I would also double the number of bortytis spores along my plants. Just as said by Sativied it is everywhere.

You nailed it! @Sativied 👌
Thanks for the link!
I didn't know this was documented. I only experienced it and used my common sense on it
So if botrytis is everywhere in the Dutch climate why aren't all the growers getting bud rot.
I live within 15km of 6 wineries which is where botrytis thrives and with proper environmental conditions I haven't had rot in over 7 years of indoor growing.
All bud rot is a result of the environmental conditions the plants are growing in.
Not sure how green and far red can reach inside "fat buds" or how HPS "radiation creates higher temps inside the fat buds" but if that's what you guys believe that's up to yous.

Dime

In my case, it was temp fluctuations ,when the lights go out it gets cooler causing the an environment favoring mold . I got it with ak47 and put a heater in the room when the lights went out,increased airflow and evacuation and it went away.

Dime

JMO but I agree spores are everywhere. The reason everyone doesn't get it is because their environment isn't well suited for it to flourish and some strains have natural resistance to it like big freeze which doesn't rot even with continuous rain on well formed buds, I normally grow c99 behind my house and it hasn't rotted and this year I grew 5 red congo plants and on 2 of them i could see a cple of buds with it already and I cut them off ,so that tells me 3 red congos have better resistance than the other 2 and c99 as a whole has much better resistance to it than that strain. Just like mold in basements it's because the conditions are met for it to grow.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I didn't say that you are a beginner. Mold thrives in areas that are dark and not well ventilated. Maybe you need a dehumidifier in your grow area. It has nothing to do with lights whether they are LED or HPS . Air movement and ventilation is probably why you are getting Bud rot.
The switch from HPS to LEDs is the problem that my friend is talking about and if you are not hearing that then you may miss something. High-intensity discharge lamps have a different impact on environmental humidity than LEDs.

Stumped

Yeah mate no worries. I grow outdoors so I have probably more problems then he has. You can't beat growing under the sun ☀️☀️☀️

PH donner

1 small fan is probably also a contributing factor to the rot.
My swing fan of 40cm on setting 3 on a surface 120x130cm is not that small imo

If air circulation is not in order according to your reasoning, why does not rot occur lower in the crop where the air humidity is higher than at the top of the largest buds that receive the most air movement?

1.5 years ago I had exactly the same reasoning, rot mainly occurs when the climate is not in order, but I now know better.

PH donner

Yeah mate no worries. I grow outdoors so I have probably more problems then he has. You can't beat growing under the sun ☀️☀️☀️
it beats the number of times harvested per year x 4 😉

Today marks the start of week 6 and I am feeding them Ec 1.2 again. After that, only clean doses of Ph 5.5. I only give these gifts through the bottom of the saucers and no longer through the top so as not to create extra humidity at the bottom of the crop. I also hung the lamp at a height of 50cm and it is still at 60%.

The fleshy hard buds nicely show the origins of the original legendary Jack Hair from SeniSeeds in the mid-90s.

PH donner

Week 6 day 5 12/12

Only clean water pH 5.5.
Need some support here and there.

Attachments

• IMG_2944.jpeg
    IMG_2944.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2940.jpeg
    IMG_2940.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2939.jpeg
    IMG_2939.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2937.jpeg
    IMG_2937.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2935.jpeg
    IMG_2935.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2930.jpeg
    IMG_2930.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 43

Porky82

My swing fan of 40cm on setting 3 on a surface 120x130cm is not that small imo

If air circulation is not in order according to your reasoning, why does not rot occur lower in the crop where the air humidity is higher than at the top of the largest buds that receive the most air movement?

1.5 years ago I had exactly the same reasoning, rot mainly occurs when the climate is not in order, but I now know better.
I run twice the amount of fans in that size.
Like I said I live very close to several wineries so bortytis is also rife in my area like yours.
Bud rot usually occurs in the biggest buds because inside the bud is protected from air movement.
That's why the light power is not really relevant because the rot starts inside the bud where there is no light.

Anyway they looking real good!
Keen to see how they look in couple of weeks.

Onboard

Very pretty plants!
What's the makeup of the Don?
Edit: If you don't min me asking, it didn't pop up on seedfinder when I look for it.

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
420club
My logic, the radiant heat that HPS provides is missing from LED and can cause rot
Light intensity is not the cause of bud rot. It's always around. It just needs the proper environment to reproduce

You have to add some warmth to your environment when using LEDs to replace the heat given off by the HPS. This will solve many problems.

Lower temperatures slow photosynthesis, limiting a plant's capacity to effectively handle high amounts of light.

Plants with cooler temperatures struggle to balance energy production and dissipation when exposed to higher light levels. This can affect how efficiently the plant can manage stress from intense light, further reducing its ability to thrive and making it more vulnerable to diseases caused by fungi, bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens.

Couple that with higher humidity levels from cooler temperatures (I don't know about low air movement; it's not stated, but if you have bud rot, I imagine it.

It's a setup for problems.

Plants look great:biggrin:, only you can see if they have rot in the bud

Last edited:

Porky82

Light intensity is not the cause of bud rot. It's always around. It just needs the proper environment to reproduce

You have to add some warmth to your environment when using LEDs to replace the heat given off by the HPS. This will solve many problems.

Lower temperatures slow photosynthesis, limiting a plant's capacity to effectively handle high amounts of light.

Plants under cooler temperatures struggle to balance energy production and dissipation when exposed to higher light levels. This can affect how efficiently the plant can manage stress from intense light, further reducing its ability to thrive.

Couple that with higher humidity levels from cooler temperatures (I don't know about low air movement; it's not stated, but if you have bud rot, I imagine it.

It's a setup for problems.

Plants look great:biggrin:, only you can see if they have rot in the bud
I agree completely. I do run 2 greenhouse bar heaters in my 8x4 for at least 5 months of the year.

PH donner

I find it funny that all kinds of solutions are being introduced that make it all very difficult. Add heat , more ventilation, extraction. Disinfect. While setting the dimmer to 60% prevents everything and I can sit back and relax. The proverbial one “ twee vingers in de neus” = easy peasy.

That's right, you can't find her either @Onboard The mother is a Jack Hair cutting that has been owned by a friend since the 90s. This was accidentally fertilized and the Dons were born last summer ,cutting only

It's true that I can tell if there's rot in it. @growsjoe1 (although I am not there, but the caregiver who observed it for 2 weeks and sent photos) Although it is often clearly visible on the buds that visible small leaf damage is shown. But you don't think I would leave the crop if it were rotten, do you?
If so, the scissors go in immediately!
This is a summer run, let's see the winter run with a much lower temperature.

Meanwhile, 90%lv outside the Don's space
No dehumidifier can compete with that

Dank hobbybobie voor het wateren 🫶

Attachments

• IMG_2945.jpeg
    IMG_2945.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
420club

...so yeah, lowering the amount of light will help with the stress caused by light intensity.

Still, the fact remains that your environment is too humid(yikes, 90%) and too cold... becoming a possible breeding area for all kinds of nasties. This needs to be addressed...properly. By reducing the amount of humidity with a dehumidifier if you can afford one. If not, that is your weakest link. You'll have to work around that and try to supply more air movement. The plants are packed in there. If the space is at 90%, without enough air movement, microclimates in the canopy are even more conducive to mold and such

....and raise the temps into the 70's (F)

Last edited:

PH donner

...so yeah, lowering the amount of light will help with the stress caused by light intensity.

Still, the fact remains that your environment is too humid(yikes, 90%) and too cold... becoming a possible breeding area for all kinds of nasties. This needs to be addressed...properly. By reducing the amount of humidity with a dehumidifier if you can afford one. If not, that is your weakest link. You'll have to work around that and try to supply more air movement. The plants are packed in there. If the space is at 90%, without enough air movement, microclimates in the canopy are even more conducive to mold and such

....and raise the temps into the 70's (F)

fact this fact that blah blah blah...
I have never needed a dehumidifier in any location.
If I hear you like that, you can't grow plants outside with those facts 🤣

When nature contradicts science, nature is always right Justus fom Liebig

Week 7 day 3 we are counting down
Only water through the dishes

Attachments

• IMG_2971.jpeg
    IMG_2971.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2970.jpeg
    IMG_2970.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 32

Latest posts