What's new

Reservoir temperatures??

sonoma

What would happen if my water temps were too high?

My room runs real hot at around 80-90 degrees, I have a metal resi, and my water temps are probably high too. I don't know exactly how high they are, but what if?

S4vvy

sonoma said:
What would happen if my water temps were too high?

My room runs real hot at around 80-90 degrees, I have a metal resi, and my water temps are probably high too. I don't know exactly how high they are, but what if?

First off, grab a submersible thermostat from any drug store to know for sure what your res is sitting at. They usually cost less than 5 dollars. In my experience res temps sit at about 10 degrees lower than room temps. If your res sits at 78+ for extended periods of time (un-agitated) i think it can house dangerous pathogens that'll cause root rot. This is much worse in aero, dwc set ups and set ups that have a continuous drip ie: Krusty/KBS. Run to waste is little more forgiving

An ideal temp would be 68-72 degrees. Good luck

G

high root zone temperatures, will decrease dissolved oxygen (DO) levels. Rapid plant growth, combined with low DO levels, can cause oxygen deprivation which in turn can result in infection by opportunistic pathogens such as pythium.

sonoma

Well, that sounds like what I have.....plants grow great for the first month or so, then start to show signs of pythium, which was very confusing, because I only water 30 seconds a day. here is a picture of the signs...this is a post from a friend of mine, that has the same exact problem.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=65943

magoo420

WOW!....YOU HAVE ALL THE MAKINGS FOR DESASTER.....YOUR ROOM TEMPS SHOULD BE IN THE MID TO HIGH 70'S....AND YOUR RES TEMPS SHOULD BE IN THE MID UPPER 60'S.....TRY VENTING YOUR ROOM MORE ADD AC AND GET A WATER CHILLER

S4vvy

brainthor said:
high root zone temperatures, will decrease dissolved oxygen (DO) levels. Rapid plant growth, combined with low DO levels, can cause oxygen deprivation which in turn can result in infection by opportunistic pathogens such as pythium.

:yeahthats

sonoma

well, I have grown for a long time, and have had high room temps work, and I realize mid 70's would be best, but when your running very large rooms, it's hard to keep the temps down. I have enough fans to fly a small jet, and I have an ac, and I'm tapped into my house ac unit. The problem is, I live in a very hot area, so finding cool air is tough to start off with.

I have a few theories...

1.resi temps
2.some sort of fungus
3.fungus gnats
4.Galvanized reservoir reacting to chemicals

here's a few pics...
one side of the room

this was taken after the last run....
perfectly healthy plants, all of a sudden die....

I am about to replant in that room, but I need to fix something, but I'm not sure what........I am lining my reservoir with plastic, to eliminate that possibility.

is this enough air?

G

Is a res chiller something you see yourself investing in?

Are your roots getting ample space? (Don't quote me on this) But if the roots were a bit bunched up, wouldn't that speed up the rot process?

Last edited: