What's new

Fungus knats help

samurhigh

I am 4 weeks from finish, tried go knats, bug be gone , sm 90, pyrethem I am in 4 inch rock wool, 1/4 inch coco mat and I have a few in coco core and perlite mix. my pics are not get but my roots look like crap and leaves seem to be rust color in from inside to out. this is second room that is dieing need help be runnning the rm for long time no problems before no nightmare?

:cuss:

Babombeez

Looks more like a pH or nutrient problem first of all... And fungus gnats are probably compounding the problem and making it worse...

pH your medium to the proper range and back off on the nutrients, they look burned!

beez

Yikes!!!

pH your medium to the proper range and back off on the nutrients, they look burned!

Ditto that...never seen fungus gnats cause that much trauma... A heavy flush,...emptying what you flush....and starting over with a milder nutrient solution should show some improvement in a few days to a week.

Whats your ph and ec??

Last edited:

samurhigh

ec is at 1.8 and ph is 6.5 I have tried a hydrogyen perxoide flush and flora shield? I thought that if might be to high of nutes but I never run more than 2.ec some of the problem is spider mights I think I have killed them thanks for the help I have been talking with sonoma and he seems to have the same problem

samurhigh said:
would heavy nutes kill roots ?

I'm sure it's possible..., but your picture isn't really clear....some of those roots look fine from here!
Wish I could be of more help to you, but your ec and ph look good... Are you changing the resevoir every two weeks and flushing in between??

Just out of curiosity....how bad is the infestation? Hundreds...thousands? I've seen yellow sticky pads covered w/thousands of fungus gnats, but the plants were actually quite healthy....

Babombeez

Usually what is above, so below.... if your plants look like crap then I bet you your roots look just as bad...

if you are growing hydro I believe your pH should be lower than 6.5

beez

D

dankiestog

yeah..in rockwool allways stay 5.6- 6.0 tops PH......the nats get some Gnatural and some yellow sticky trips wil help...goodluck

G

Notice the hydro side of the chart.... ya need to get your pH in line and quick.... 5.8

magoo420

I'VE HAD GNAT PROBLEMS TOO....THE BEST THING THAT WORKED FOR ME WAS A BUG BOMB.......USE EVERY COUPLE OF WEEKS TILL NO SIGN IS LEFT USUALLY NO MORE THAN 3 TREATMENTS...ALLSO I USE PEST STRIPS FOR THE ADULTS

sonoma

Looks exactly like mine.....can't figure it out. Did we cross contaminate some sort of fungus, or something? Because we use different food, Ph has never been a problem for either of us, and we're in totally different climates.

I am currently cooking my room, the temps are at about 120. I turned off all the exhaust fans, and it's heating up quick. maybe that will work for something. :cuss: :cuss: :badday: :wallbash:

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
Bti bacteria (Gnatrol has this as active ingredient) can be found @ lowe's in the Mosquito Dunks found in the insect control product section. Like $10 for 6 dunks will cure the problem and inoculate the RW

Waytek

I thought mosquito dunks would cure my gnat problem too but they didn't .... The larvae actually seemed to enjoy hanging out on pieces of dunk floating in the res. I think that the dunks must have a short shelf life or something because when I went ahead and sunk the $$$ into gnatrol again, it wiped 'em out completely. Good luck w/ dunks if you want to try to save money - but if you want a sure thing Gnatrol works 100% of the time for me.

NorCal

Veteran
EDIT: didnt realize how old this thread was but still useful info....

yeah get the gnatrol and dont worry about em anymore

its a beneficial so you gotta make sure not to kill em

you could also hand water with beneficial nematodes

it sucks to see how bad your infestation is

whats funny is people say the gnats dont harm the plants much, but i think once shit hits the fan, it hits the fan.

they dont directly do too much harm but they do contribute to the plants susceptibility to have additional problems develop

best product ive used is the gnatrol, dump it in the rez @ 30 ml gallon and your good
little expensive but its worth it imho

it sucks as it seems we all have grow issues were dealing with, good luck bro

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
I've seen the damage gnats can do to young rooting cuttings - it's not pretty to see how every lille root is eaten up. I've had 24 cuttings in perlite/soil die with only a single survivor. Normally I'm having a survival rate of at least 75% with healthy cuttings in jiffy pots.

DR PONIX

--

--

hey man are u 100% possitive they are fungad gnats? i know allot of ignorant growers have been passing around clones with root aphids nasty man, get the 30 x scope and take a look at those roots :rasta:

Latest posts

Latest posts