What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Building the Infantile Jamaican Ganja Industry

Shaheed

Greetings one and all from Jamaica. I was able to prove some knowledge to some people in the right places and got a meeting with my local university (where I graduated from) as I had heard news that they had gotten an extensive Cannabis research license from the government. I found out they had no cultivators and I was able to prove myself and got written permission from them to plant any amount. Sadly the school is broke and can't fund the planting in anyway, but I'm plodding along. My mission is simple; develop strains locally that are well suited for local conditions (drought, pests, disease and fungus resistance, good yield, potent product) and develop planting methods into a natural standard good enough for medicinal production that local farmers can abide by......
By now you must be wondering why I am posting this in the Landraces section, simple, I believe the best way to build strains suited for our purposes here and to have pride in saying it was built from the ground up is by using Original, Native Landrace strains from countries the plant comes from. What are your opinions about my mission? I need all the help I can get. Big ups to Tazz11 think the brother's name is...he seems very knowledgeable about Landraces. Thanks.

corky1968

Veteran
Let the Good Times Roll. :tiphat:

Landraces are the way to go. Stay away from Indica and their hybrids if you can.
Stick with the pure Sativas since you can grow them where your located.

theJointedOne

Veteran
My advice is to focus on creating healthy organic soils.

Genetics are essential, but they are just one pillar that holds up a good garden. Proper soil and water is crucial.

Take some time to do some research in the organic soil thread s and forums here on icmag. You won't regret it.

The fact you are on icmag means you are a step ahead of others, simply because you have tons of knowledgeable growers who you can share ideas and thoughts with.

I highly suggest you start another thread in a more popular forum here, depending on your growing environment ect.

Irie and welcome.

Shaheed

Let the Good Times Roll. :tiphat:

Landraces are the way to go. Stay away from Indica and their hybrids if you can.
Stick with the pure Sativas since you can grow them where your located.

You are quite right, I know that there are even some quick finishing Sativas that hybrids can be made with. My problem is finding these wonderful seeds, money is lacking and I dont know anyone willing to send some my way.....

Coughie

What's the chances you can source acclimatized Jamaican lines from around the way?
Old school Rastas, and the like?

Stuff that's been there for a few (human) generations?

I think that's what everyone (here) would really like to see..
Some genuine Lambsbread..

Or have the gone the way of a majority of the rest of the world, and been diluted in recent years by imports and indicas?

Shaheed

I have seeds from genetics that are old enough to have the original Lambsbread in it, but it is diluted like any other....I have heard of purer lines, which I will be going for soon, but I really would like to get other genetics in order to introduce diversity of the good, stable, IBL kind and create new possibilities of going to greater heights of cannabinoid production. I have no issue with indicas, but its the wild ones from Uzbekistan and the Cultivars from Pakistan and Afghanistan that I would want to move with, not the watered down stuff. African Sativas would be nice to get as well....the possibilities of awesome hybrids are limitless. Any help for the Idealistic Journeyman?

Shaheed

What's the chances you can source acclimatized Jamaican lines from around the way?
Old school Rastas, and the like?

Stuff that's been there for a few (human) generations?

I think that's what everyone (here) would really like to see..
Some genuine Lambsbread..

Or have the gone the way of a majority of the rest of the world, and been diluted in recent years by imports and indicas?

was to have quoted you in the post above this one Coughie

Coughie

For the 'untamed' stuff, right off the hillside were it..
Look into The Real Seed Company

They offer seeds that they've gathered and give out to the public
No breeding "in house" except the Mazar, essentially

For IBL'd landraces, around the 7-10th generation
Look into ACE Seeds and CannaBioGen

They have Pakistani, Malawi, Panama, Guatemala, and several others..
Quite stable, quite line-bred, beautiful work
They do good work

You might be able to order RSC right from RSC
I know for a fact ACE will ship both ACE and CBG seeds right to you
If RSC doesn't ship to Jamaica, you can order them through Seedsman

I've heard things about Seeds of Africa but I have no experience with them
Maybe someone who does will chime in to back up or refute me mentioning them though..
Wait on a 2nd and maybe 3rd opinion on SoA..

corky1968

Veteran
If only I could grow some of my RSC Kerala in a place like that. :woohoo:

I would plant a valley of them.

Shaheed

For the 'untamed' stuff, right off the hillside were it..
Look into The Real Seed Company

They offer seeds that they've gathered and give out to the public
No breeding "in house" except the Mazar, essentially

For IBL'd landraces, around the 7-10th generation
Look into ACE Seeds and CannaBioGen

They have Pakistani, Malawi, Panama, Guatemala, and several others..
Quite stable, quite line-bred, beautiful work
They do good work

You might be able to order RSC right from RSC
I know for a fact ACE will ship both ACE and CBG seeds right to you
If RSC doesn't ship to Jamaica, you can order them through Seedsman

I've heard things about Seeds of Africa but I have no experience with them
Maybe someone who does will chime in to back up or refute me mentioning them though..
Wait on a 2nd and maybe 3rd opinion on SoA..

Thanks bro, I have Durban Magic from SOA, soon see what it looks like, I'll tell you.....I'll check out Real Seed. What of information and knowledge, any solid botanical ebooks you got about plant breeding and genetics? Any articles or write ups?

Coughie

Mendel's work is pretty widely available on the web, with some searching..

Getting too deep into genetics, only makes things worse / only makes sense if you have labs for analytical testing...

Otherwise, Mendel's is mostly observational and is the most practical/applicable, for most people... But even if you want to go deeper into genetics, you need to understand Mendel's take on it anyway..

You can even find Youtube videos posted by American colleges / agricultural extension offices, talking genetics in Webinars and taped conferences..

It all starts with Mendel though

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
I have seeds from genetics that are old enough to have the original Lambsbread in it, but it is diluted like any other....I have heard of purer lines, which I will be going for soon, but I really would like to get other genetics in order to introduce diversity of the good, stable, IBL kind and create new possibilities of going to greater heights of cannabinoid production. I have no issue with indicas, but its the wild ones from Uzbekistan and the Cultivars from Pakistan and Afghanistan that I would want to move with, not the watered down stuff. African Sativas would be nice to get as well....the possibilities of awesome hybrids are limitless. Any help for the Idealistic Journeyman?

you sound like you have a lot of seed already. whats the problem?

sow them. select from them. then open pollinate them. repeat. eventually you will have plants that are suited to the climate and that are the best since you picked them out.

i don't get this hardon that you have for "specific landrace seeds", just make them. you have the tools already. :tiphat:

there is no "pure" lines. everything blends together over time, the dominant genes win out. all these pure lines you think you're looking for are just the dominant genes that won out over time...same thing you can do with the seeds in your hand and i thought thats what you were doing with your original post?

Shaheed

you sound like you have a lot of seed already. whats the problem?

sow them. select from them. then open pollinate them. repeat. eventually you will have plants that are suited to the climate and that are the best since you picked them out.

i don't get this hardon that you have for "specific landrace seeds", just make them. you have the tools already. :tiphat:

I feel you, I am going to start with what I have and I will post my results....I just have a love for the plant, and each plant and seed is like a storybook for me....kinda sill I guess

Shaheed

If only I could grow some of my RSC Kerala in a place like that. :woohoo:

I would plant a valley of them.

Send me a couple grains please, the Jamaican sativas came from South India, and the Kerala is beauuutiful.......send it and I promise that I'll grow the valley and you come to Jamaica and see and smoke from it.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Soliciting for seeds will get you banned.

Other wise, what an interesting story. There are many people here who would be interested to offer opinion, direction, etc., or just to follow along.

There are other options for funding than government coffers or donation. Some countries have tabled import/export regulations. Interesting times.

Cheers

baduy

Hi.
tropical weather,broke,natural medecine agriculture...?
If you are you talk spanish or have a friend who does try to get in touch with some people involved in agricultural projects in Cuba. No Cannabis farming there but the people,out of necessity after USSR collapse,developped amazing low cost organic farming methods on a land which is pretty much the closest thing to your natural conditions. Finding informations about those methods could be very beneficial to the "develop planting methods into a natural standard good enough for medicinal production that local farmers can abide by" side of your project.
Wish you best for your project.

corky1968

Veteran
Send me a couple grains please, the Jamaican sativas came from South India, and the Kerala is beauuutiful.......send it and I promise that I'll grow the valley and you come to Jamaica and see and smoke from it.

I'm sure they'll be available at one of the seed banks all in good time.

Just keep posting and learning for now.

BTW: Do you have access to a mountain valley or are you just going to be growing in your backyard?

It would be nice to see more people growing in exotic locations though.

Shaheed

I'm sure they'll be available at one of the seed banks all in good time.

Just keep posting and learning for now.

BTW: Do you have access to a mountain valley or are you just going to be growing in your backyard?

It would be nice to see more people growing in exotic locations though.

LOL.....I have access to hills and valleys, to some very beautiful pieces of land in my island.....i dont have access to money though....that's the issue

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When you don't have money...
Labor will get you some.

If there's one thing the powers that be cannot take away (with the exception of imprisonment), it's your ability to provide labor in trade for needed items.

Did you consider the fact that you would not be funded before attempting to take on such a project?

It seems your putting the cart before the horse which always ends up a disaster.

Also, read the quote by Dank Frank in my sig. I think it very much applies to your situation.

Also, where will you be cultivating these herbs? I highly doubt you've got permission to plant up the bush as implied by your last answer.

I smell fish but it could easily be the beach.