What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

New Zealander wrongfully imprisoned under misuse of drugs act

budsnblunts

Veteran
On July the 14th 2014 a family was home invaded, luckily only the husband was home and escaped unscathed. The family then rang the police (there mistake) and the mans wife, Kelly van Galeen took the wrap to the bucket of drying cannabis and two plants the police had found. She was sentenced to prison for 2 years. This is a prime example of why Marijuana laws need to change. She has been given a hefty penalty unlike any others we have seen, this lady was given a local heroes award from her town of kaikohe. Some other examples of crookedness in our country are these...
Ian Alfred Cole, from Westport, was convicted of cultivating and possessing cannabis for supply, as well as possession of LSD, and was sentenced to nine months’ home detention. He had over 10 times as much cannabis as Kelly had.

Johnathon Olander and Dionne Watkins, from Havelock, admitted seven charges including selling cannabis and BZP. They were sentenced to six months’ home detention.

Daniel and Hadas Surdri, from Ashburton, caught with 54 plants and more than
6 kilograms of dried canna

Krystal Katipa, from New Plymouth, was sentenced to seven months’ home detention after she was found guilty of commercial supply of cannabis and hash oil, which is a Class B controlled substance.

Sheryl Kingi, from Tauranga, pleaded guilty to possessing cannabis for supply and was sentenced to nine months’ home detention. She had 119 cannabis plants and 2.4 kilograms of cannabis.

Neil Arthur Phillips, from Kerikeri, was found guilty of selling cannabis to a Police officer on numerous occasions over several months and was given 12 months’ home detention. The judge cited the man’s closeness with his sons as a reason he avoided jail.

This is disgusting in all manners. A link with more information can be found here: http://www.drugfoundation.org.nz/matters-of-substance/november-2015/unequal-treatment

The reason I have bought this problem up with the awesome community of ICMAG is because this lady isn't having enough done from her own people. There is a petition around to have her time dropped considerably. It is an unfair and biased act by the courts, it also sends this message loud and clear. If you use cannabis and have someone in/at your house threatening/robbing/hurting you or your family, don't call the police and to take the chances into your own hands. Yes this sounds silly and risks there safety. But that is the message from this scenario that is being sent. I thought I could get some awesome minds opinions on this matter. If anyone is interest in signing the petition here is the link also: https://www.change.org/p/new-zealan...share?after_sign_exp=default&just_signed=true
Thanks for reading. Keep safe everyone, peace.

aunz420

yeah man that is bullshit eh. I think the judge was senile and came out of retirement with his 'Reefer Madness' approach to sentencing