What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

best outdoor strains

jayfo

wanting to know what the best outdoor strains would be for me as i have little experience.its going to be a long hot dry summer with plenty of light.would like a low maintenance high yielding strain any suggestions?

moondawg

Dinafems Blue widow. Fruity as hell, grows to 8' and yields 1lb or more. Finished sept 20 at 38 north. Good potency= 8. Cheap, easy grow of decent smoke.

OldSkoolKlein

Jayfo, I'd really recommend to maybe post this question in the Australian/New Zealand forum. Have a squiz around the forums there, as Oz has pretty different conditions to the states, which is where most of the replies may come from.

Check out some of the grows in the Aussie forum and see what others have done in regards to how we do stuff on the sly. There are heaps of stuff to consider being in W.A., how are you gonna water it, keep an eye on it, what ferts/nutes to use, etc.

Also have a good look through the thread there about "Where can i get this in Oz/NZ?", as again, a lot of the stuff that is recommended here may only be available in the states, or suitable for U.S. conditions.

As you'd know, us aussies won't bite (unless you're a dickhead, but you knew that) and there is stacks to learn so you minimise the amount of mistakes that will be made.

Last bit of advice; give as much detail as possible WITHOUT GIVING AWAY WHERE YOU LIVE! (sorry for shouting but that's real important). So Work out where you are and try to give a Latitude (?) like 40 deg North or whatever you wanna grow is. There is a chart there that lists the types of soil depending on where you are in Oz, can't remember whether W.A. is included, but giving that rough location will really help others help you.

Good luck!

OldSkoolKlein.

I would suggest not spending a lot of resources on “the best outdoor strains … for me” or “yield” as a variety may be beneficial to find what works best in your environment. So with “little experience” just grab some bag seed and give it a go while reading all about others successes and failures here on ICmag. I grow in “long hot dry summer with plenty of light” as well so may I also suggest you get your irrigation planned out because daily watering is likely and tedious. Above or in the ground, grow media, and food. So much to consider.

Here enjoy the fall harvest and be ready with us in the spring.

More here: :tiphat:

tommy1984

I too am in the search for the "perfect outdoor strain" something that gets huge and will yield pounds. I know the guys growing blue dream get these results, but from what I am hearing the blue dream that attitude carries is not the same as the blue dream that the cali guys are growing... I have heard mixed reviews on KC brains strains but mostly bad.. So I dont know, but I am determent
to find a good strain to run.

moondawg

Dont believe what youve heard about KC brains tommy1984. The people saying it havent grown the beans or are newbs that dont know how to grow. Ive been growing KC seeds since 98 and ive yet to get a bad strain or pack of seeds,( with the exception of Mindbender which i didnt like). He has many fans in Europe

Fellows, ive been growing guerilla a long time and the best plants ive found after growing probably 100 or m ore strains outdoors over the past 40 yrs and the best outdoor plants ive come across during that period are:

Dinafems-BW
KC BRains-spontanica or KC33'
Early pearl-(not femmed)

Im at 38north and as far as ease, yeild, hardiness and general durability and ease of grow, these 4 are at the top of my list.

There are just so many strains nowadayas that have been bred and grown indoors that they dont have the vigor or hardiness to survive without constant tending.

One final point: All cannabis loves water and drinks lots of it. If water is going to be a problem for you, ive found that i harvest more weed by growing just 3 or 4 big girls that i can water properly rather than trying to grow 20 with no capacity to water all of them.

I have a buddy that only grows 5 plants per year but harves 7-10 lbs of smoke.. He probably harvests more smoke than a lot of guys with 20 plants.

tommy1984

Hey MOONDAWG... What has your experience been with spontanica? How large does it normally get for you and does it hold up pretty well to the wind and rain? What nutes does it like? I was set on this strain for my next order but hears some bad stiff like people couldnt get them to germ and there was a bad male to female count.. My plan was to order the fem pack then take one of thos (the one with the best characteristics and make feminized seeds with it..... Have you tried moby dick for a gorilla grow?

dirt farmer

Dont believe what youve heard about KC brains tommy1984. The people saying it havent grown the beans or are newbs that dont know how to grow. Ive been growing KC seeds since 98 and ive yet to get a bad strain or pack of seeds,( with the exception of Mindbender which i didnt like). He has many fans in Europe

Fellows, ive been growing guerilla a long time and the best plants ive found after growing probably 100 or m ore strains outdoors over the past 40 yrs and the best outdoor plants ive come across during that period are:

Dinafems-BW
KC BRains-spontanica or KC33'
Early pearl-(not femmed)

Im at 38north and as far as ease, yeild, hardiness and general durability and ease of grow, these 4 are at the top of my list.

There are just so many strains nowadayas that have been bred and grown indoors that they dont have the vigor or hardiness to survive without constant tending.

One final point: All cannabis loves water and drinks lots of it. If water is going to be a problem for you, ive found that i harvest more weed by growing just 3 or 4 big girls that i can water properly rather than trying to grow 20 with no capacity to water all of them.

I have a buddy that only grows 5 plants per year but harves 7-10 lbs of smoke.. He probably harvests more smoke than a lot of guys with 20 plants.

I am a KC fan as well. I like how his strains are for outdoors only. I grew a KC Brains NL Special The Original for like 5 years. It was a kick ass Pheno man. Always got good seeds from them as well.

KCBrains1_zpse21cb0f7.jpg

moondawg

Hey MOONDAWG... What has your experience been with spontanica? How large does it normally get for you and does it hold up pretty well to the wind and rain? What nutes does it like? I was set on this strain for my next order but hears some bad stiff like people couldnt get them to germ and there was a bad male to female count.. My plan was to order the fem pack then take one of thos (the one with the best characteristics and make feminized seeds with it..... Have you tried moby dick for a gorilla grow?

chromeo, i quit taking pictures several yrs ago. I wasnt ever very good at it and finally one day just said "fuck it".

tommy1984, spontanica and 33 are 2 of the hardiest, most vigorous outdoor plants im aware of and to my knowledge, Brains is the only breeder im aware of that breeds for outdoor.

Spontanica and 33 are the best 2 outdoor strains ive grown in many years of growing period. Here's my list of good outdoor strains at 38n. Theyre not really listed in priority because they all have very good traits.

1. kc33- Brains
2. Spontanica Brains
3. Texada Timewarp, next generation seeds
4.Blue Widow - Dinafem]']
5. Biddy Early - serious seeds
6.Sensi Star- Paradise
7. Early Pearl- Sensi seeds
8.Early Queen- Mr. Nice
9. Hollands Hope - Dutch Passion
10. Durban Poison - Dutch Passion

Ive bought a bunch of seeds but the seeds on this list are the only ones i will buy for outdoor growing. Resistance to disease, bugs and overall hardiness determines whether you harvest 2lbs or 2 ozs. The plants on that list perform and deliver: no hand holding, not nute sensitivity, no suceptablities, just tough, potent outdoor cannabis plants.

Understand as well that i grow in a tough guerilla enviroment and visit my plants 1X per week. The plants ive listed thrive under those conditions. If i lived in Cali and grew in the backyard, my list would look very different.

Finally, regaurding Brains germination rates. Chromeo, cannabis seeds germinate at 76 degreees farenheit period. At 80 degrees they may take a week or not pop at all and at 74, they may take a week or not pop at all. Germ the seeds at a constant 76 degrees and they will germ in 24 hrs.

tommy1984

Thank ya moondawg... Would you say that you can pull a pound off each of those strains in a gorilla grow like you described? I grow the same way in about the same latitude, ( I think I am 37 N ) .... Also Do you mind telling me what you feed these strains to get them to thrive in a gorilla grow? Is it some type of time released nutes?

C

chromeo

yea moon bro' you know what are you talkin' about! ; )

fuck it, fuck yeah! :D

peace

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
If your summer is dry, I think most strains should be able to finish, if you are looking to be able to finish on a wet end of the season, def look for early finisher/mold resistant strains.

Hybrids from Hell has a lot of those strains for an affordable price!

Good luck on your selection!

Peace!

Redbluffer

Check out some Snow High strains...good quality genetics that will all do well outside. I live in N. Cali and Im lucky enough to have access to many different clones that are well documented as to what they do outside. That being said here where I am I can grow any strain out there besides some super, long flowering sativa's. Im guessing you only have access to getting/buying seeds...if this is the case pm me and I can tell you some more good stains...Actually some others are BOG's BogBubble, Bogglegum, LiveSaver, S. LiveSaver...almost all of his strains will do well outside. To get big plants you need to provide plenty of root space, typical hole I will dig is 3'x3'x3' and backfill with with a good mix of soils...if you have the time to make a super soil then that can save you lots of time in the future but its not easy and it does take time to properly cook the soil...Hope some of this helps...There are some breeders out there that have Blue Dream in seed form, I wouldnt go for Humboldt company, but Snowhigh, SinCity or Bodhi's Dream Lotus...most of Bodhi's strains will do really well outside...personally I would stay away from many of the strains mentioned above, maybe besides the Biddy Early...Let me know if there's anything I can help with...Casey Jones or good Trainwreck is another good strain...Peace!

Team Microbe

Veteran
I can attest to Blue Widow being one of the better strains to grow guerrilla outdoors in humid climates. It's mold resistant, has great bag appeal, and is about a 7 out of 10 for potency. It's something I can rely on finishing on time (October 1st at 43N), and yields pretty well too. One of the prettiest looking girls I've grown to be honest... her colors in mid senescence range from yellow to deep reds and purples:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Let's get this thread back on track!

mr.brunch

Veteran
Not long till outdoor season , can't wait , cheers for the bump
Been looking at hfh myself they got some fine looking early strains