What's new

Smallest pot size for keeping photoperiods small and discreet in the garden.

celtic voyager

Eveing all.
As the title says
What would the best smallest pot to use to keep my photos small for the back garden.
I'm not looking to grow large plants, or high yeilds, but run a number of different strains, .
I'd like to keep the small and discreet as possible.

Ca++

Using small pots, is probably not the best way to keep plants small. If they are so small as to restrict growth, then they will be exhausted by mid flower.

It would be better to keep chopping the plants back, up to 20% at a time. Keeping them small, but still adequately kept at the root. With good feed and water availability, that pot bound plants don't have.

celtic voyager

Using small pots, is probably not the best way to keep plants small. If they are so small as to restrict growth, then they will be exhausted by mid flower.

It would be better to keep chopping the plants back, up to 20% at a time. Keeping them small, but still adequately kept at the root. With good feed and water availability, that pot bound plants don't have.
Hi Ca++
What would the average pot size be for photos

Ca++

As you are talking outdoor, that's hard to answer. I doubt anyone is using much less than a bucket, and some are making containers you fill from a tipper truck.

You are talking small plants, so you are probably alright with 10L of good stuff. That would grow a small bush with a few oz on it. While containing enough water to get it though a day or two (weather depending)

Though I'm trying to offer some numbers, I don't really know your circumstances. You are getting similar numbers from other posters though. The consensus is there.

Edit: Oh.. it was you that also said 10L. Someone else said 4L, which is going to grow something small, but good weather could see it drying out, and 'small' is subjective. There will be more reliance on you feeding it I imagine. Either way will need some, but in 4L you are getting towards hydro levels of care

Edit2: 4L is perhaps hiding amingst the other plants, while 10L is hiding behind the fence

Last edited:

linde

2 gallon is as small as you want to go with stressing or stunting the plants too bad. I use 2 1/2 gallon for budding indoor plants with a 45 day veg. They work fine a little small but work so ya 2 gallon should work for your needs.

CharlesU Farley

othrootboundb.jpg

From this thread:

How to you sativa people do it?

He seemed to do okay with just a wee bit less than 10 liters.

linde

I've used both and I find the fabric pots dry out much quicker. I went back to plastic pots simply for better water retention. Less watering.

CharlesU Farley

I've used both and I find the fabric pots dry out much quicker. I went back to plastic pots simply for better water retention. Less watering.
After the roots become established, fabric pots dry out faster because the roots are taking up more water and fertilizer, which is what you want. Having a mass of roots encircled around the inside sides of a plastic container doesn't leave a whole lot of surface area for the roots to actually absorb the water and nutrients they need:

xtsho

Grow a strain that doesn't get too big and/or train whatever you grow to stay small.

View attachment 18910862

From this thread:

How to you sativa people do it?

He seemed to do okay with just a wee bit less than 10 liters.

That was an ACE Old Timers Haze started outdoors and the small pot didn't keep the plant small. I had to do some serious supercropping to fit it in the tent. I bruised my fingers trying to smash the stem so I could bend it. It was like wood. I did end up putting it in a 3 gallon pot as it was drying out too fast in that 1.75 liter pot. It was a heavy drinker.

oth1013aresized.jpg

This one finished outdoors in the 2.5" x 2.5" x 4.5" nursery starter pot I started the seed in. It didn't yield much but what there was smoked pretty good for the joint that it was. :biggrin: I started it for someone and they never came by to get it. I didn't have the heart to kill it so I let it live. It was worth it though as I had a male that I let pollinate it so I got a bunch of seeds of a new cross.

maui1.jpg

maui2.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
After the roots become established, fabric pots dry out faster because the roots are taking up more water and fertilizer, which is what you want. Having a mass of roots encircled around the inside sides of a plastic container doesn't leave a whole lot of surface area for the roots to actually absorb the water and nutrients they need:

I wish we could see the plant that came from that root. That is what really matters the most.

Latest posts

Latest posts