What's new

Root rot in coco ?

Liamp1603

Has anyone ever experienced root rot in coco coir ? I'm at day 48flower and think I have the beginning of root rot showing signs or it's another problem I Carn figure out what tho .... second run with this strain and didn't experience it the first time round ?? Thanks for all help

Attachments

• IMG_9664.jpeg
    IMG_9664.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_9663.jpeg
    IMG_9663.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_9662.jpeg
    IMG_9662.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 161

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Has anyone ever experienced root rot in coco coir ? I'm at day 48flower and think I have the beginning of root rot showing signs or it's another problem I Carn figure out what tho .... second run with this strain and didn't experience it the first time round ?? Thanks for all help
How do you know its root rot?

Reactions: Rgd

Liamp1603

How do you know its root rot?
I don't know it is I'm assuming it is from what I've seen I have tried to find pictures on different sites of what it could be and the only one I can link it too is root rot ? I've not experienced this before I'm just assuming it is from what I've found I'm looking for advice or someone that can diagnose what it could be ?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I'm sorry friend, I can't see anything on your plants. What exactly is giving you a problem?

Reactions: Rgd

Ca++

Interesting. Pics 1&3 look like they might be over fed, but pic 2 has some concerning leaf tips, that like bloyd says, look like a fungal problem.

Can you not see the roots?

chronosync

automatic shoes
Fungus gnats will do that and worse, they love coco. Nematodes will completely destroy them but cost a bit of money ... the $30 I spend on em have been worth it every damn time though.

Liamp1603

Interesting. Pics 1&3 look like they might be over fed, but pic 2 has some concerning leaf tips, that like bloyd says, look like a fungal problem.

Can you not see the roots?
No it's in coco coir and fabric pots I've removed one root ball and had a look around the outside of the rootball and there's no rotten smell or mulch roots around unless it's in the centre where the stem it protruding shall I have a dig around in there more thoroughly ?

Ca++

I won't rule out over watering, but in fabric pots they would need to be stood in water to really get nasty. The chance of root rot seem low, under the circumstances. Still.. dead leafs rolling up, generally is a fungus sign. Of which there are a few. Something within the stem could kinda mimic root rot, by interfering. You might find the ring of death, once you chop one in half. Fusarium wilt
iu

Note how in this case, it looks like nothing got up from the root, as it destroyed the stalk below. Then as the leaf died, it was eaten away, causing curling. It's perhaps not Fusarium you have, but this is what internal molds can do.

Ca++

Fungus gnats will do that and worse, they love coco. Nematodes will completely destroy them but cost a bit of money ... the $30 I spend on em have been worth it every damn time though.
I have had one hit results, that lasted, using neem. However it's hard to say if it's cheaper. A little bottle costs a fiver, and treats maybe 100L of compost. At a push.

It's something like a teaspoon in a liter jug, and that might do 2 or 3 10L pots. I can never remember, but it's on here somewhere.

Liamp1603

I won't rule out over watering, but in fabric pots they would need to be stood in water to really get nasty. The chance of root rot seem low, under the circumstances. Still.. dead leafs rolling up, generally is a fungus sign. Of which there are a few. Something within the stem could kinda mimic root rot, by interfering. You might find the ring of death, once you chop one in half. Fusarium wilt
iu

Note how in this case, it looks like nothing got up from the root, as it destroyed the stalk below. Then as the leaf died, it was eaten away, causing curling. It's perhaps not Fusarium you have, but this is what internal molds can do.
Is there any way to combat it and do you reckon I could hold out for 10 days ? I don't wanna pull before atleast 60 days and it's 59 today 😂

Lumpy-Gravy

If it’s root rot get on yer hands n knees pull her out the pot a bit n give it a whiff. Owt that’s rotten has a honk to it. I’ll be honest, I’ve only been growing in earnest since 2020 though, I’ve only ever seen root rot from the media less hydro folks.

Your pots are raised and not sat in their run off or owt are they? If your sure it’s root problems and there no microherd to worry about then h2o2 I believe can be used

Ca++

There are systemic fungicides, approved in some parts of the states. I'm not sure how fast your postman is though, and the delay needed before cropping. It's 3pm here... you might do it.

bloyd

Veteran
Is there any way I can ride it out for 1 maybe 2 weeks ? Or battle with it it's in coco coir
Yes you should certainly be able to ride it out for that long. As others have said smell the roots. If the wilt spreads to other branches you might as well chop. Examine the vascular tissue when you cut affected branches. Orange to brown tissue are signs of fusarium. If that's the case good luck b/c the shit is tenacious and comes back seemingly regardless of sterilization procedures.