What's new

Favorite Brews

Flowerman

This thread isn't about brewing, but I hope it leads at least for me to brewing eventually. As these selections have been my favorite so far. And hopefully within a year or so, I will give it a shot, as it seems my favorites can cost a little more than your average AB brew, lol.

1. Belhaven's Scottish Ale
2. Rogue's Shakespeare Stout
3. Young's Extra Special London's Ale
4. Young's Double Chocolate Stout
5. St.Peter's English Ale (weak in the ABV but it holds its own).

But definitely the Shakespeare stout should be tried by all.;)

Last edited:
G

Rogue Shakespeare Stout Clone ~ All grain
Recipe for 5 gallons

OG 1.060
IBU 69

Ingredients:

Malt
11.0 lb Great Western 2 row Pale Malt
0.5 lb 120'L Crystal malt
0.5 lb chocolate malt
0.5 lb rolled oats
3.0 oz roat barley

Hops
1.0 oz Cascade 5% @ 90 minutes
1.0 oz Cascade 5% @ 60 mintues
1.0 oz Cascade 5% @ 30 minutes
1.0 oz Cascade 5% @ knockout

Other
1.0 tsp Irish Moss @ 20 minutes

BrewTek California Pub Ale (CL-50)

Instructions:
Mash at 150' for 60 minutes and sparge to collect 6.5 gallons. Boil 90 minutes with additions shown above. Cool to 60' for one week then sipon into secondary. Hold in secondary at 60' until fermentation is complete, then package and condition.

Flowerman

Thanks dank for posting that. Definitely would be one I would love to make first, even if it comes out half ass, I would probably enjoy it. I just love the coffee flavor in it, followed by a nice sweet chocolate taste, not too mention a roasty malt flavor in there as well. Found it to be very complex, and keeps my taste buds searching for more. One of my favorites that I just recently got to try. I do love the Belhaven Scottish ale just as much, but it has a more caremal flavor with a touch of figs in it. Both nice IMO.

Last edited:
G

Glad to enjoyed it .... Most people think that beer is Budwieser.... No Bud is just fizzy yellow water...

Beer should be an experiance of the sences...

FM when you finally decide to take the big step, call me and I'll be happy to guide you through your first brew.

Flowerman

Definitely will give you a heads up when I start. Been reading all the threads you posted, awesome bro all the way.
Here's my little brief description of my favorite of all so far.

Belhaven Scottish Ale,
Pours a deep dark amber color, with hues of brown and burgandy. Has a good 1 and a half inch white head, and has a nice lacing.
To start out, it smells like figs with a little brown sugar, some fruity tones to her, also some sour bread smells in there as well and the first few swigs remind you of this, but with a malty goodness. But then this is where she starts to get really good as she warms up. Takes on a more caramel flavor. Is a very smooth drink and creamy as well, but yet I find it very complexed. Sweet she is with a little touch of sourness to her, maybe like a wine(I was drinking some blackberry wine the other night, but the undertones of wine are there), but you still feel like you're drinking a damn good ass brew, but the sweet flavor is not one that is too sweet, just right actually. A very well balnaced ale all the way. This one is my all time favorite brews. I won't say it's for everyone, but this is one drink, I do drink every night, and never get bored with it.

Last edited:
G

Here you go FM, sorry for not converting it to US measuring standard.
This is a partial mash, so you will be using both extract and grains... This recipe should come real close.

This beer once brewed, should be aged in the bottle for about 2 - 3 months do the flavors to blend... This beer will get better and more complex over time...
I would save a six pack for over a year to drink next winter.

Belhaven 80/- Clone:

Ingredients:

Light Liquid Malt 2kg
Light Dried Malt 1kg.
Dextrose 500g
Crystal Malted Grain 115g
Black Malted Grain 65g
Cascade Hops 25g
Fuggles Hops 30g
Goldings Hops 15g
Irish Moss 1 teaspoon
Ale Yeast 1 sachet
(Substitute Wyeast 1087 Ale Blend or 1728 Scottish Ale)

1. Crack grains, place in pot, cover with cold water
(about 3 litres), bring to boil, strain and save the liquid.

2. Add all malts, both liquid and dried together with
dextrose to the strained liquid. Bring to the boil,
then add the Cascade and Fuggles hops and boil for one hour.

3. Add the Goldings hops and the Irish Moss and boil
for a further 15 minutes.

4. Rehydrate and start yeast.

5. Cool wort down to 30-40C as quickly as possible.

6. Strain wort into fermenter and fill up to the 20 litre
mark, and pitch yeast at 26C.

7. Ferment out at 22C for 7-10 days. Bottle.

O.G. 1.041
F.G. 1.010

kilacaLIbud

awesome...i love beer...favorite beeing KARL STRAUSS a local brewery..

red trolly ale
there woodie gold lager is good.
they got a excellent INDIA PALE ALE

those are just the bottled beer they have 100 on tap /..

karlstrauss.com/WebPage/DRINK/drink_start.html

i also wanna make beer in the future ...bust out some steel and weld me up a still...one day...my friend invented this beer that doesnt give u hangovers.. he tried to market it ..but all his caps went rusty so he lost his money

Last edited:

Sleepy

Veteran
some favorites have been...

King & Barnes Christmas Ale...1996 vintage...(UK)

Okocim Porter
(Poland)...like cough syrup and high in alcohol!

Aventinius by Georg Schneider (Germany)...a true 'meal in a bottle'! dunkelweizendopplebock! yum!:yummy:

Wurzburger Holiday (Germany) is another deelish dark heavy lager!!!

Thomas Hardy's Ale by Eldridge Pope (UK)...any ale that can age for 25 years(if stored properly) is ok by me!

there are many favorites, depending on the time of year and how hot/cold it is outside...

oh yeah, i'm not supposed to be drinking...hehe :sasmokin:

G

kilacaLIbud
Most Homebrew won't give you much of a hangover at all... Unless of course you get yourself falling down drunk. It's because there is still yeast in suspension in homebrew, where as commercial breweries filter out the yeast.
Yeast in the beer is high in complex B vitamins. When you drink alcohol it tends to zap your body of Vitamin B along with other nutrients. Also before you go to bed after drinking, drink yourself a pint of water, this will help with the dehydration you feel the next morning.

Sleepy, quite an impressive list you have there, it may take me a while to find recipes for them....

G

Some brews I've been frequenting lately:

J. W. Dundee's Honey Brown Ale
Sam Adam's Boston Lager
Bavaria Holland

G

I really like Anderson Valley's Boont. If I drink a lot I don't get much of a "common" hangover but I do feel foggy in the head.

BoontBig.jpg

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
we are currently making a new batch of homemade wine the last was strawberry ,very good ,this one is blueberrys,cant wait ,we are dinking it faster than we can make it ,but not for long !

G

Cool,
Thats easy for me,DUVEL....nectar of the gods for me,sumtin bout it on top of a nice glow.plus any beer ya can stand yer spoon in has gotta be good.Fischer Dalsace is another top brew and Sams Boston lager cant be forgotton,good stuff.good thread :wave:

You guys try anything from brewerry oomagang yet?excellent stuff

Last edited:

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
I like all those ones from Avery Brewing Co.- they are like %15 alcohol!

Last edited:

ToKEN

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
my boss just showed me and my friend how to brew beer. we made two red ales and a porter, in the porter we added cranberries, orange slices and coffee while we were boiling it. Can't wait to see how it tastes. I get a case and a half of it in two days! woOT!

Latest posts

Latest posts