What's new

Denver's bud quality

HydroManiac

My first post I made after going through some legal issues was about 6 years ago. Now I have been out for some time and would like to get people's opinions on Denver's marijuana market such as quality which I am more interested in then price. But hey let's talk about everything this market has to offer I have been to over 50 dispensaries since I got out and would like to share my thoughts on it. One thing I noticed is a lot of really cheap bud's I mean cheap by pricing. But most the stuff I have seen for cheap wasn't that good. Then you have the places that have all these famous starins listed I would buy a bunch of them up head home all excited only to sample them and end up being really upset by how low quality they were. I thought that maybe I had changed and that maybe I didn't really enjoy smoking anymore it seemed like everything tasted and smelled the same to me. Every now and then I would find something somewhere that was decent but I would get tired of it really fast. But I know now that it isn't me that has changed but lot's of low quality bud due to the growers and the people who run the dispensaries only caring about making money and not about quality. So let's hear what you people think. If you lived in California and Denver tell us what you like and dislike.

HydroManiac

One of the first places I went to was a place called frosted leaf I had not smoked in a long time so the stuff tore me up. The bud's were small and stringy and the taste wasn't really there I would rate that place as average at best. I eventually went to a place called good chem which at the time I thought was really good but I never really felt like their stuff tasted and felt like what these strains were like years ago so I started looking for other places more on that later

SuperMac

Yes, HM, lots of average.

Commercial shops mishandle their flowers so its high in CBN.

The last time a sprang for Tier 1 weed I felt like I was always taking the 3rd or 4th hit out of the bowl. That's because the commercial shops suck the juice out of the weed by stripping and breaking open the trichomes during the harvest process. That's why there's so much beat to hell high CBN weed at the shops.

What's nice is the variety. Like getting five different strains of pre-rolls. Each strain has also been tested for potency so go for the strains that test highest.

Hydro8

I haven't been going to the dispensaries much lately, but I have have had my share of commercial dispensary weed over the years. My experience,

The Good- A few growers specialize in OGs or Chem, or ____ they will usually have the latest greatest in that family. Their is some great phenos that get grown in Denver.
The market is VERY competitive.. Prices are very inexpensive for a consumer $70-$150 an oz. Selection gets rotated and new stuff is always getting grown and introduced to the market. Lots of dispensaries have an excellent collection of strains. And many growers have an excellent selection of phenos.
Many “home growers” in Denver you can find great people to trade, and buy nicely cared for flowers from.

The Bad- Many commercial growers grow cheap and fast. Much of the product from this type of grow will have no smell, flavor or taste trichomes get destroyed in poor processing. Lots.. of cheap bud out there ! Cough /% Hack Cough...

All in all – The market is saturated and flooded ! What ever you want is out there. Cheap quantities to boutique connoisseur collections

X

xavier7995

I havent hit a dispensary in quite a while to buy flower but i liked:
Sacred seed-good selection and nice shop, could usually find something worthwhile if i looked through several varieties.
Kind love-pretty decent all around but in the pricey side, they have clones.
Rare dankness- really professional nicely run shop, weed is in tins. I am a fan of their strains, they carry seeds.
14er in boulder-nice tinned weed. They are good folks and well respected.

I drop in to shops for carts or novelties mostly, man the weed on the shelf looks like shit. I wind up at Pure quite often as they have great deals...i would never even consider smoking whats in the jars. Thats my take on probably 95% of the dispensaries around here. Carts/goofy novelties are great but leave the flower alone as its real disappointing for the most part.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
Rare Dankness for sure. It might be one of the cleanest grow in Denver, no nugs being over handled or put through a trim machine.

14-er was my buddies favorite. Misses it dearly now that we've moved.

Frosted Leaf is pretty gross. Nice people, gross product.

The Clinic is worthwhile most of the time. Good Guava if they have it.

HydroManiac

I got some Chemdawg x diesel from the kind room the other day it was machine trimmed so it looked scalped I thought it smelled bad and they had not cured it at all. I have had it sitting in a jar since I got it hoping to improve it. From sacred seed I got some road kill skunk it didn't have that super strong odor of skunk like I have had in the past from this strain it smoked harsh. I have had that in a jar for a few months now made it less harsh but still not what I am used to with the strain. Much of the problems I think is everybody making prices so low that they have put themselves in a situation where they have to cut corners to make it work.

HydroManiac

I will have to try rare out and that place in Boulder have not been to those places I plan to go to every place that people in the thread say is good and then I will post my opinion on it here. One place I went to was IgadI most of there stuff was so so but they had some stuff called tres sister that was ok but I haven't seen it around in a long time I got other stuff from there as well including some trainwreck I felt it was a poor example of trainwreck tried their honey badger, Chend bx3, Cotton, cantaloupe haze but I didn't think it was all that.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It's getting better... but (in my personal opinion) it's still pretty dismal out there.

I've sourced cannabis for 30+ years, in 3 medical states and several prohibition states. 10 years ago I came across a dispensary with quality which made me question my previous 5 years of growing (what I and everyone considered) "fire" cannabis. I mean, if "This" was cannabis... WTF had I been growing up till that point? (The DEA robbed and shut them down shortly afterward)

It took me a few years to get close to that quality. Everything else seems to pale in comparison. I'm still supremely disappointed at what dispensaries generally offer, but slightly less so. Like I said previously, it's getting better. ;)

Full disclosure: It's been almost 4 years since I've had "Denver" dispensary cannabis specifically.

G

Gauss

Rare Dankness for sure. It might be one of the cleanest grow in Denver, no nugs being over handled or put through a trim machine.

14-er was my buddies favorite. Misses it dearly now that we've moved.

Frosted Leaf is pretty gross. Nice people, gross product.

The Clinic is worthwhile most of the time. Good Guava if they have it.

+1 for RD, but they do use an auto trimmer.

Hydro8

Around 2008 dispensaries started opening they could sell basically anything, after a couple of years people got picky and quality started going up substantially. 2010-2013 we had some pretty good medical dispensaries and growers.

When recreational became legal a few years ago general quality went way down.. Many out of state folks started flocking in and buying anything.. The market became flooded and the race to the bottom started. Now I feel like we have tons(literally tons) or cheap weed. Many growers stopped growing because they could not cover electric bills at $300.lb or less.

I am hoping and waiting for the general consumer to get picky and demand and by better grade stuff. Personally I pay a little extra and buy the nicer stuff when I do go to dispensaries. I am not going to recommend any because I don't go to the dispensary much and places change too fast these days.

The home grow scene is very nice, lots of great clones going around.

HydroManiac

This stuff costs more money then the stuff I don't like around town but it is all hand trimmed no chemical taste to it. The og18 is my favorite it is super tasty. The Holy Grail Kush is a super strong indica that tastes good and packs a strong punch. I pay around 200 a oz for it which to some peolple is a rip. But I have about a 1/4 pound of other stuff laying around I will grind up and make concentrate with it because I hate smoking it.

Hydro8

Wedding Cake is my current favorite, very smooth vape, taste spicy with a cake like flavor, a great cookie type high !

I have heard the Granola Funk is good, I have also heard the Geleto is nice, I tried some but Geleto it was not grown that well so need to try some better representation of it. People have also been saying the Mandarin Cookies is nice.

I need to get out and get a few grams to sample one of these days

HydroManiac

The granola funk is one of my favorite tastes really good great high I can see where the gelato would be difficult to grow guys just have to dial it in correctly.

Hydro8

There is a good strain of Grapefruit Diesel around, I had some commercially grown and cured it was a bit lacking in the terps but still very nice..

Grapefruit taste and smell with hint of fuel and a great high.