What's new

Australian and New Zealander Smoker's Lounge TEMPORARY thread.

StickyBandit

This method seems to work good. I check the res once a week and it pumps nutes up through the rings for five minutes every 5 hours. Now the roots have grown it's taking off hard!
Using pumice as the medium 7-20mm and 1.5EC
What do you call this grow style?

RBCakeHydro.JPG

Brother Nature

That'd be considered straight hydro I believe. I'm actually surprised that more don't use perlite as their primary medium, it's inexpensive, readily available, sterilized and PH neutral, plus in winter it helps keep your root zone warm. Seems like a win/win setup to me mate.. Plants look like they're loving it too.

What are you fellas using for dehumidifying your rooms and drying areas? The weather is very Queensland like here at the moment and aside from my drying girls getting swamped with mold on some of the larger heads, my neighborhood stinks. I dislike drying too quick, but I could smell it from the road when walking home from the grocery store tonight, need to get them into a sealed room, but don't want to loose any more to mold. Plus my nightime humidity levels in the tent are crazy, even though I'm running the lights on at night now. Checked the tent 30 mins ago during the dark cycle and the reading was 20-22c and 85% RH. With the CMH in there now, lights on sits at a super low 30-40% RH and 26-32C (leaf temps sit at a better 24-26c). Would it be better to run heating in the tent at lights off?

Was looking at one of the cheaper 12L dehumidifiers from bunnigs/mitre 10 to place in the tent at night and in the dry room during the day. Have used them before, but just had a very old second hand one that chewed through power and would also shock you sometimes if you touched it wrong. I also don't have a lot of expendible income at the moment so any DIY advice is more than helpful.

StickyBandit

That'd be considered straight hydro I believe. I'm actually surprised that more don't use perlite as their primary medium, it's inexpensive, readily available, sterilized and PH neutral, plus in winter it helps keep your root zone warm. Seems like a win/win setup to me mate.. Plants look like they're loving it too.

What are you fellas using for dehumidifying your rooms and drying areas? The weather is very Queensland like here at the moment and aside from my drying girls getting swamped with mold on some of the larger heads, my neighborhood stinks. I dislike drying too quick, but I could smell it from the road when walking home from the grocery store tonight, need to get them into a sealed room, but don't want to loose any more to mold. Plus my nightime humidity levels in the tent are crazy, even though I'm running the lights on at night now. Checked the tent 30 mins ago during the dark cycle and the reading was 20-22c and 85% RH. With the CMH in there now, lights on sits at a super low 30-40% RH and 26-32C (leaf temps sit at a better 24-26c). Would it be better to run heating in the tent at lights off?

Was looking at one of the cheaper 12L dehumidifiers from bunnigs/mitre 10 to place in the tent at night and in the dry room during the day. Have used them before, but just had a very old second hand one that chewed through power and would also shock you sometimes if you touched it wrong. I also don't have a lot of expendible income at the moment so any DIY advice is more than helpful.
I thought it might have some kind of fancy acronym, like DTW (drain to waste). Maybe DTT (drain to tank) :p

I don't know much but I would personally try increasing airflow through the room by running a Ø200 extractor with a 1m filter (this is what I did) and even on low I can hear and feel the air getting sucked into the room under the door etc and I haven't smelt a thing outside since I fitted it, even with the family clouding the place up :p
or are you concerned about temps?
I guess it could come on with the lights or have a recirc flap??
Just thinking out loud...

Oh hey, and my Corinto Purple just arrived from TLT :D
Just waiting on my Heritage Seed Bank Sativa Combo Special (Lemon Thai, Highland Oaxcan Gold IBL to turn up then my collection will be nearly complete......for now :)

Last edited:

Brother Nature

Yeah, I'm broke though so trying to not have to buy too much more haha. I just remembered I do have an old 1m tent I used for veg that has a tear at the bottom, but I reckon that'd be better at hiding the smell than drying on a clothes rack with a circulating fan on the floorin my room... Also have an old carbon filter that could be put to use for that. Thanks for the suggestino man, always helps to hear something from a different perspective. Plus my deductive reasoning goes out the window when I have to take painkillers.... Can't wait for the cindy to dry haha. Also, havig a harvest that pongs the block up probably isn't the worst thing in the long run haha....

Pumpkin

Veteran

I dry mine by the fire here, but for a budget solution add more pedestal fans. Heat will always reduce your humidity. Never dry with your lights on, it will just yellow and look like crap. Break up your larger heads into the smallest components as well, give them space. Do you have drying racks? they can be great and relatively cheap. I use heat to reduce the humidity, but it's pretty fucking cold here anyway.

Pumpkin

Veteran
If I couldn't dry enough with the fire I would add fans or a heater. Dehumidifiers work, but heat and air flow are generally cheaper.

Pumpkin

Veteran
Mould in your grow often is about airflow also, before you pay for an aircon, try beast mode extraction. You cannot have too much airflow, there is no maximum. Noise is probably the major concern

Pumpkin

Veteran
We are also -2 here tonight, so I can't be sure how relevant my drying advice is to you. I'm still trying to finish off a grow in this shit haha. Next to no mould though, the cover has helped a lot and fans 24/7

Latest posts

Latest posts