What's new

1970 Colombian Gold

texasjack

There’s no insult hempy. You are just wrong and the one spreading misinformation. Look up Marijuana Potency by Michael Starks 1977. You can read right there it says seeds can be stored in the freezer.

I get seeds i bought and kept in a closet over 10 yrs old to germ. And the seeds out of classics freezer are germing no problem. Last 1s dropped were from the 90s all 3 germed. 7 Korean Skunks x Romulan Joes IBL from mid 2000s every one germed. I had some i dropped where a couple didnt germ but in all i'm getting about 90% germs.

Korean Skunk x Romulan Joes IBL #2 male Korean Skunk x Romulan Joes IBL #4 female
Click image for larger version  Name:	koreanskm2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	18065992
Click image for larger version  Name:	koreansk4f.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	18065993

2 Santa Marta Columbian golds, Columbian highland brown and a thai from the 70s.
Click image for larger version  Name:	columbian1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.4 KB ID:	18065994

columbian4.jpg

Attachments

• image_2109398.jpg
    image_2109398.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
There’s no insult hempy. You are just wrong and the one spreading misinformation. Look up Marijuana Potency by Michael Starks 1977. You can read right there it says seeds can be stored in the freezer.

There was insult in your post and i dont spread misinformation gullible people like you do.

If his seeds were frozen and stored correctly from 76 until now you expect poor germination still but with some luck you get some to germ but not if they were stored in a draw or jewelry box.

The seed embryo is a living thing its not something you can turn off and on when it suits you.

Old lines are still around because people grow them and fresh seed is made its that simple.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
Not true at all. Classic of classic seeds died left me a bunch of seeds and i am getting close to 100% germ rates on seeds 20-50ys old. A few from the 60s several strains from the 70s. Columbians, Thai,Mexicans, bunch of africans ,korean skunk,RKS,lime skunk,old humboldt purple and green,Dr.Atomic Stuff rezz dog stuff old Chemo, BSHW etc..

He kept the seeds in small bottles stuffed w cotton in a freezer that wasnt frost free. He said do not use frost free feezers. I just sent a bunch of african seeds to kagyu(coastal seeds) some 30 or more yrs old we see what kind of germ rates he gets.

This just a few.. vitamin bottles are full of the small brown bottles

dude! goddamn motherlode

ricardox

Hello all, i have these '70 Colombian Gold flowering from original seeds my father collected back in 1970, they sat in an old film cannister until 2016 when he passed and inherited his seed collection. It wasnt a large collection by any means but it was a small selection of strain from 1969-1975. All original seeds he collected from bales/bricks/bundles that he "obtained" during that time.

These are currently on the end of week 16, and in my opinion habe 9-10 ish more weeks to go before they are ready for harvest

ive been growing landraces since 2014 and gearing up to begin doing preservation runs of every strain i habe from my dad. I wanted to get experience growing long flowering plants before i dove into these.

When can we expect the seeds for sale? I'm definitely interested.

Maggotbrain

Hey HippieCannaGen what a great thing to get from Dad. I have tons of seeds collected in the 60's, 70's and 80's straight out of bales. I get a 60 to 70% germ rate with paper towels, tap water and a little H2O2. It can definitely be done. Maybe the folks attacking you aren't very good at growing and have trouble popping seeds. Enjoy your bounty. The old stuff is the best.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
initial moisture content and germination are the main factor for providing seed longevity. Hemp seed containing
high moisture content stored at room temperature maintained the germination and vigour only up to 5 months of
storage, after that the conditions and aging was deleterious to seed viability. Seed deterioration is associated with
various biochemicals, metabolic and physiological alteration including loss of membrane integrity and cell compartmentalization, decreasing in ATP production and impairment of RNA and protein biosynthesis (McDonald,

1999). Moreover, lipid peroxidation and free radicals were considered to be the major contributors to seed
deterioration (Hendry, 1993),especially, at high temperature, it was mainly related to membrane damage and
alteration of energy metabolisms as demonstrated in sunflower (Corbineau et al., 2002). In the other hand, seed
germination and vigour of low seed moisture content as cv. RPF3 contained in aluminium foil at room temperature
remained viable. This previous study mentioned that the dehydration of seed could prevent thermal denaturation.

Available online at www.sciencedirect.com

Influence of storage conditions on change of hemp seed quality

g0dzilla

ICMag Donor
Veteran
HippieCannaGen We made a trade on a different platform a year or so ago. Welcome to ic. Maybe I should get some of these started

Attachments

• 20220207_183229.jpg
    20220207_183229.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 83

Piff_cat

these ladies are beautiful !!! and obviously legit. lets move on from the seed viability debate and focus on these dinosaur looking trees. it doesnt matter much exactly how old they are, whats important if theyre real it is an actual time capsule. plants were brought to santa marta from all over the place including laos thai phillipines even south africa. the conditions and ancestral traits from these extreme environments create extreme plants. history doesnt mean much here its about the genetic material. every time a preservation or seed increase is done in a new more temperate environment the epistatic and transcription dosing are on their way to being silenced or lost. even the uv content germinating a seed can change them epistatically. in the jungle/mountains everything is trying to kill you. its an arms race between plants and herbivores/insects goin back millennia.a big part of that is green leaf volatiles, or the secondary metabolites produced after mechanical attack can be incredibly specific. plants obviously cant move so their defenses are highly tuned to specific enemies. look at these plants stems and leaves. insane vigor and size features. not all seeds are equal just because a hemp seed dried fast doesnt mean some crazy jungle sativa has the same features. i personally believe most se asian genetics are light dependent germinators.
this kind of genetic material could literally revive lost genotypes/chemotypes. more then that they can teach us so much about cannabis genetics and history. imagine with the tools we have at our disposal today vs the 70s. this could reshuffle the entire deck. and op comes online to share the news and everyone doubts him and rips apart because it doesnt fit in their tiny little window of assumed cannabis science. 1969 vietnam delta?? what?? thats the one right there. also all the dates make sense. when those types were in the market and the order. thanks for sharing mang more pics please

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I get seeds i bought and kept in a closet over 10 yrs old to germ. And the seeds out of classics freezer are germing no problem. Last 1s dropped were from the 90s all 3 germed. 7 Korean Skunks x Romulan Joes IBL from mid 2000s every one germed. I had some i dropped where a couple didnt germ but in all i'm getting about 90% germs.

Korean Skunk x Romulan Joes IBL #2 male Korean Skunk x Romulan Joes IBL #4 female

2 Santa Marta Columbian golds, Columbian highland brown and a thai from the 70s.

I wanna hear a lot more about Mr. Texasjack's seed stash. Is there a thread on the Santa Marta gold? I have read from a smuggler story that the soil elements were responsible for the color.

OldCoolSativa

The lifespan of cannabis seeds depends on several things, including how mature they were when harvested, moisture content when put into storage, storage temperature, variability in storage temperature, and of course germination method.

So much of the weed from that era was harvested very early and had immature, white or light seeds. Also, I never saw Colombian gold until the mid 70s, but that's just one anecdote.

Abbott for years ago I was given about 1,000 seeds that my sister in law had collected from about 1968 until seedless weed became the norm, which was in the mid-1980s. I've tried several methods, unsuccessfully, to germinate them. They are currently in my freezer, and I'm waiting for in vitro germination technology to mature for a few more years, then I think we'll have better chances.

Call me skeptical.

HippieCannaGen

I was very close with my father up until he died. I lived with him and help him out during his bouts of cancer. He is the reason behind why i got into landrace varieties in the first place.

also i knew he had the seeds, we had talked about the seeds several times, the buds they came from, what he remembered of the effects ect.. He didnt think we were skilled enough to do the plants justice in germinating, growing, and preserving without getting experience in growing other pure sativa strains. So we waited and saved them. He passed in 2016 before we got the chance to grow them.

Huesos

Hi HippieCannaGen, really nice of your dad to leave his collection with you. Here is some humble advise as follows:

1. Your seeds were not properly stored. If your going to sprout them yourself, then you will lose most of them. My advise would be to look for an experienced and trusted Canna Person with expertise in sprouting old seeds;

2. Don't look at money right now. But, moreso, look at good stewardship for your dad and leaving something behind for the next generation of canna aficionados.

Anyway, listen to my advise closely.

Here are some pics of Santa Marta Gold. My friend repro'd them. Now, many sativa aficionados have them. No greed or negative energy behind them.

For your viewing pleasure....Santa Marta Gold:

Attachments

• Santa Martha Gold1.JPG
    Santa Martha Gold1.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 124
  • SMG2.JPG
    SMG2.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 124
  • SMG3.JPG
    SMG3.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 123

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
You have a few options in trying to germinate old seed regardless if stored correctly or not they all need a helping hand.

1/ The coconut water method.

Boil water and then let it cool fill a 1Lt bottle and add 20 mil of 100% organic coconut water and shake.

Fill a glass with the mix place seed in that let them soak for 24 hours then place the seed into a towel and keep seed at a temp of say 28c. I use tupperware with the lip cracked open.

2/ Use a Seed-Start formula just google and look for one in your country.

Total Potassium (K) (as organic)2667 mg/L
Calcium (Ca)4.13%
Sulfur (S)1.24%
Magnesium (Mg)734 mg/L
Iron (Fe)160 mg/L
Zinc (Zn)71 mg/L
Manganese (Mn)64 mg/L
Molybdenum (Mo)8 mg/L
SG1.1
pH8 – 9
Conductivity5 – 15 mS/cm
AppearanceThick brown liquid

3/ This Option would be the option i would be using for seed not stored in a fridge or freezer.

Last time i looked this was selling for $99 US.

Good luck.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I was very close with my father up until he died. I lived with him and help him out during his bouts of cancer. He is the reason behind why i got into landrace varieties in the first place.

also i knew he had the seeds, we had talked about the seeds several times, the buds they came from, what he remembered of the effects ect.. He didnt think we were skilled enough to do the plants justice in germinating, growing, and preserving without getting experience in growing other pure sativa strains. So we waited and saved them. He passed in 2016 before we got the chance to grow them.

Okay so now it's established from the OP's own statements. These seeds remained stored from when they were collected until now which means roughly 40-50 years and they were not kept refrigerated. So now it comes down to do you believe that seeds that old and unrefrigerated can remain viable or not? If you do not believe it's possible then there isn't really much point in reading any further. If on the other hand you do believe seeds kept in a wooden box for that long unrefrigerated can remain viable then feel free to read on.

See how easy that was?

For me I don't believe nor do I disbelieve, I've not seen enough conclusive science for me to have a rock solid opinion one way or another. I have seen over the years more then a few who claim to have success germinating seeds more then 10 years old, sometimes kept refrigerated sometimes not. Should I go around and call everyone of those people liars? I don't see where that benefits anyone really. The bottomline for me is I don't really care. Sure I enjoyed Columbian Gold and Red and Panama Red and Acapulco Gold from the 70's and it would be cool to experience that again if I could. For me though growing out 16-26 week flowering Sativas just doesn't work for me. Not when there are so many good strains I can get ahold of that flower in 8-10 weeks. Those of us who have been around long enough look back fondly on those old school strains because in their day they were the best there was. By today's standards though people would be far less impressed by them now.

For the sake of the OP I hope he has good luck growing them out, for him it's about a connection to his Father and passions they shared. For him the level of meaning and importance is something few if any of us can relate to. I'm certainly not going to try to trash all that for him by trying to convince him that fulfilling that dream, that connection with his Father is impossible. I'm just going to wish him luck and maybe check in on his grow diaries from time to time just to see how his dream is coming along.

texasjack

https://seedsnsuch.com/products/pepper-seed-starting-kit

Pepper Seed-Starting Kit

Our pre-measured mixture of two naturally occurring materials – saltpeter and gibberellic acid – improves superhot pepper seed germination by 30 to 50% by penetrating the tough husk that surrounds the seed! Kit has 1 or 2 packets of the organic mixture that’s approved by most organic certifying groups. Pour a packet into a quart of water and let it fully dissolve. Then moisten seed with solution and germinate in your usual way. One packet makes 1 quart. Full directions included.

texasjack

I wanna hear a lot more about Mr. Texasjack's seed stash. Is there a thread on the Santa Marta gold? I have read from a smuggler story that the soil elements were responsible for the color.

I might put up some pics on the classic seeds threads under seed boutique breeders I'm finished w the seed biz i worked w classic for over 11 yrs i'm 65 yrs old and had enough.I never wanted to fool w it to begin w I was just helping out a good friend.