What's new

Worming 101

Big Nasty

Back on topic - How do I tell if worms are surviving and doing their thing in my new farm?

I have a few I can see on top munching on the newest food I put in there. And none have re entered the bottom bucket that I use to collect runoff.

Nobody is trying to escape and it doesn't stink like rotting anything. So are all signs pointing to :good: ?
If the old food has been transformed,if you see cocoons here and there,if your worms move fast when you touch them,if it doesn't stink,to me these are good signs of a healty population and a working bin.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We (well by we I mean my new right hand man) had to dig a 2 foot deep hole to work up soil to save (I hope) a rapidly deteriorating hydrangea bush via transplant. At about 18 inches we found 2 giant worm capsules. One was hit by the shovel so had a cesarean birth of sorts but the other survived intact and I've attached a photo. Has anyone ever seen such a HUGE worm egg? Maybe in Texas? :)

Please don't be distracted by the different appearance of my hand. When I was born it was paralyzed but came back to life along with the rest of my left side about a month later. It is a woman sized 7 hand for size reference for the egg. The nail is kept long as a tool.

By the way the hydrangea not only survived but is doing incredible.

picture.php

Last edited:
T

Teddybrae

Not even in Australia, Cobber!

We (well by we I mean my new right hand man) had to dig a 2 foot deep hole to work up soil to save (I hope) a rapidly deteriorating hydrangea bush via transplant. At about 18 inches we found 2 giant worm capsules. One was hit by the shovel so had a cesarean birth of sorts but the other survived intact and I've attached a photo. Has anyone ever seen such a HUGE worm egg? Maybe in Texas?:biggrin:

View Image

redlaser

Veteran
We (well by we I mean my new right hand man) had to dig a 2 foot deep hole to work up soil to save (I hope) a rapidly deteriorating hydrangea bush via transplant. At about 18 inches we found 2 giant worm capsules. One was hit by the shovel so had a cesarean birth of sorts but the other survived intact and I've attached a photo. Has anyone ever seen such a HUGE worm egg? Maybe in Texas?:biggrin:

View Image

That’s an unusual pic to say the least, would never guess it was worm related.
Is this in Mexico, I ask because I thought you recently were there in another thread

Sunshineinabag

View Image

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Last edited:

Sunshineinabag

There's no need to jump the gun.......I was saying it out of spontaneous posting, there was no disrespect meant .........guess I beter keep my observations to myself!

Sunshineinabag

Actually I've followed microbe an for a very long time and respect him highly! I had no clue what the pic was of his hand!!!!i would appreciate u keeping your toxic trolling comments away from me.......or I'll ignore u.....either way win win and the thread moves on! The 250 refugees I started raised bed gardens for here in my community would beg to differ with your statment......ESP because five of them are now memeber share so they can learn our latitudes cultivars growing styles........I'm helpful to those that need my help! You have a good night man!

redlaser

Veteran
Admittedly I can drift off topic, and thought of not posting the hog story before, but that egg capsule is a testicle ringer. I guess the pain they represent in their harvesting is a sobering impression. Still can’t get over the size of that worm capsule.

Still my hand comment was insensitive, I actually didn’t think it was that odd but should have realized it was an insensitive remark, regardless of who it belonged to.
I would never want someone to feel self conscious about something they had no control over.

h.h.

Veteran
Admittedly I can drift off topic, and thought of not posting the hog story before, but that egg capsule is a testicle ringer. I guess the pain they represent in their harvesting is a sobering impression. Still can’t get over the size of that worm capsule.

Still my hand comment was insensitive, I actually didn’t think it was that odd but should have realized it was an insensitive remark, regardless of who it belonged to.
I would never want someone to feel self conscious about something they had no control over.
We all drift.
I appreciate the edit.
Thank you.:tiphat:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Actually I've followed microbe an for a very long time and respect him highly! I had no clue what the pic was of his hand!!!!i would appreciate u keeping your toxic trolling comments away from me.......or I'll ignore u.....either way win win and the thread moves on! The 250 refugees I started raised bed gardens for here in my community would beg to differ with your statment......ESP because five of them are now memeber share so they can learn our latitudes cultivars growing styles........I'm helpful to those that need my help! You have a good night man!

Now future readers can say WTF??

Latest posts

Latest posts