What's new

Why do experienced growers still use plastic pots?

CharlesU Farley

It's dry here in Colorado so the fabric dry out too fast for me. If it was humid I'd probably use fabric though. I bought a huge box of fabric before I figured that out so they're just sitting here.
Are you the same Padawan Warrior who got shitcanned from RIU about the same time I did? If you are, I obviously don't agree with your politics as you'll probably remember, but I always respected your cannabis knowledge.

RIU went straight into the feces chamber after they shitcanned Potroast.

At least this forum is run by people who actually grow and develop cannabis, not just as a hobby to be cool and exert their feminism.

PadawanWarrior

Are you the same Padawan Warrior who got shitcanned from RIU about the same time I did? If you are, I obviously don't agree with your politics as you'll probably remember, but I always respected your cannabis knowledge.

RIU went straight into the feces chamber after they shitcanned Potroast.

At least this forum is run by people who actually grow and develop cannabis, not just as a hobby to be cool and exert their feminism.
Ya, that's me. I don't remember you from the politics section but I was hardly in it. I do remember you though from the grow sections. Good to see you again. Politics and weed don't belong together if you ask me, :joint:. I hear ya about RIU. Everybody either got banned or left.

CharlesU Farley

RIUs a real shithole. Never been a member but ive been over there looking for strain info. Complete troll colony
Like all cannabis fora, there's a lot of good people who participate there but the main admin who had been running things since the '90s lost a power struggle with the woman who does all the advertising for the site.

Instead of just deleting problem/controversial posts within a thread like Potroast would do, she would just shit can the _whole_ fucking thread, that contained invaluable info not only for newbies but for us old fucks alike. And all that would do was further inflame the assholes, to continue to act like assholes, in other threads.

Assholery begats assholery.

And it wasn't up for discussion exactly the criteria she used to shit can an entire thread, it was totally her decision.

I got shitcanned because Les Paul 59/Jimmy fucking Hendrix or whatever nym the asshole is using these days, was giving more of his bullshit seed selection opinions and I just couldn't take it anymore. I'm from Kentucky and when somebody highlights the fact that they are from the same state and then publishes utter and complete bullshit with absolutely no experience to back it up, I tend to get a little frustrated. o_O

I linguistically eviscerated him and got banned.

It's their loss, not mine... but I'm sure we'll both be okay. :p

CharlesU Farley

Thanks to everybody who responded. I've got a little bit better handle on experienced growers using of plastic pots. I do hope I've planted the seed for at least some of y'all trying them.

They'll dramatically increase your root mass and that can't be anything other than good for a cannabis plant.

Other than fabric pots and LEDs, I don't do anything different now than I did 30 years ago. If shit is working and you're happy what you're doing, why change? :p

Fuel

e80d6f32e759ccd59c2593bef754e21805ef28fd.jpg

Just for the provocative statement about plastic pots ^^

I'm not interested to use them but i see some advantages :
- when washed (let's talk about it ^^), the gain of space to store them is hard to beat
- for people not in ease with hand watering, it's a kind of regulator by the increased evap
- they make it in different colors, can be practical with multi-strains round (ok this one was not brilliant)
- the plastic pots are made with petroleum and it kill the baby whales, the fabric pots are made with ... well, it just sound more vegan that's all.
- you can make you own !!! i'm proud of this one
- and a million of others things i've not in mind yet

I use 2 gallon fabric containers in very early veg and transplant into 7-10 gallon fabric containers when they start looking like this:

View attachment 18971322
No one else's looked like that. Sub irrigation? Wrapped in plastic? My roots filled fabric pots like a Pringles can in a missile silo.

"Is it in yet?“ - fabric pots to my roots

Long ropey roots are great when your pot is tall enough. I'm running 15 gallon talls with 13 gallon kitchen liners, the bottom 4-6" removed. Starting in small container is what baffles me.. Think giant container.. The barrier becomes irrelevant. Let's keep it that way I say. It ain't normal for leaves to be tiny and cotyledons to fall off before the 10th node. If you start in anything less than 2 gallon you're growing micro weed and spending twice the time in veg. Tiny leaves = tiny buds.

CharlesU Farley

View attachment 18971900

Just for the provocative statement about plastic pots ^^

I'm not interested to use them but i see some advantages :
- when washed (let's talk about it ^^), the gain of space to store them is hard to beat
- for people not in ease with hand watering, it's a kind of regulator by the increased evap
- they make it in different colors, can be practical with multi-strains round (ok this one was not brilliant)
- the plastic pots are made with petroleum and it kill the baby whales, the fabric pots are made with ... well, it just sound more vegan that's all.
- you can make you own !!! i'm proud of this one
- and a million of others things i've not in mind yet
Not trying to be provocative or troll, but when you break up that root ball, do the roots extend _all_ the way into the interior of the medium? Do you have to saw that log in half? When I used plastic pots, mine look very similar but when I would break open the root ball, the vast majority of the soil inside was totally devoid of roots.

I still use plastic pots, but only for a very early seedlings/clones, in order to drive the developing roots down instead of out:

1000010819.jpg

rooted_clone.jpg

phunkeeboodah

currently i use a rubbermaid tote with no holes, tons of soil, premixed with fertilizer, and two inches of sand on top that slowly waters from the top down and keeps the entire soil surface moist and regulated from stem to edge

no water makes it to the bottom because the sand layer soaks it up instantly (1.5 litres poured all at once) and there is lots of soil below. just pour water over the sand every few days and top dress once early flower that's it

the root mass is near the stem so why encourage the roots to grow to the bottom if the fertilizer is slow release and premixed/top dressed? this way mimics nature

oh, and no gnats(!)

2024-03-03_tegas.JPG

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have seen fabric bags wrapped in a plastic on the sides. Why? What does the plastic wrap add?

My grow is in 10 gallon bags sitting on a perlite wick bed. It is easy to remove the bag after I chop the plant and then I can dump the soil into a tub to be amended and recycled. I clean the bags and reuse them. 10 gallons of moist soil is all I feel like lifting.

Fuel

Not trying to be provocative or troll, but when you break up that root ball, do the roots extend _all_ the way into the interior of the medium? Do you have to saw that log in half?
It's something i'm doing systematically with all specimens culled / harvested, but for other purposes.

rooooots.png

For the root's density, it's something that need to be optimized early and that is prone to variations from one specimen to another too. Whatever the medium or the container used in fact.

If you get decent results in fabric pots, there is no reason to change because your habits are the most compliant with this way. Now your habits (like mine) are not specially universally used ^^