What's new

Which size grow bag can I use when topping plants- 3 or 5 gallons? (balcony grow)

Verdant Whisperer

Just my 2 cents, topping is an indoor technique generally, are you limited by height and plant count is that why your are topping? I topped when I grew indoors before for more canopy coverage but outdoors I let the plants do their thing.

Cuddles

You could probably argue it both ways. Black would be hotter and roots like it cool but white would let some light through and roots like it dark.
the possibility of too much light getting through is what I wondering about. the green bags Iè seen looked kinda tacky, the white ones are more inviting on tthe balcony .... but if the black ones are better I guess I´ll just get those. they cost less too lol

Cuddles

Just my 2 cents, topping is an indoor technique generally, are you limited by height and plant count is that why your are topping? I topped when I grew indoors before for more canopy coverage but outdoors I let the plants do their thing.
yes, it´s the number of plants as well as visibility. They can easily be spotted by people otherwise. I don´t want to take this risk.
My main concern is security.

so did topping also result in a slightly higher yield for your plants?

SubGirl

420club
I’ve grown in 3 and 5 gallon bags. The 5 gal will give your roots more room but the 3 gallons work too. Just take more tending, watering nutes everything…since you have height limitations I would look for a short grower so you don’t have to worry as much being seen up top.

Verdant Whisperer

yes, it´s the number of plants as well as visibility. They can easily be spotted by people otherwise. I don´t want to take this risk.
My main concern is security.

so did topping also result in a slightly higher yield for your plants?
Topping outdoors theoretically especially if your cutting out your verticle grow space will reduce yields for the same age plant generally, it has to redirect it energy which slows it slightly, but I understand for security Its a good call to top, ide to with 3 gallons if your concerned about height otherwise less chance of them flipping to flower early in 5g.

Cuddles

I’ve grown in 3 and 5 gallon bags. The 5 gal will give your roots more room but the 3 gallons work too. Just take more tending, watering nutes everything…since you have height limitations I would look for a short grower so you don’t have to worry as much being seen up top.
thing is , I really want to try new strains but no autos for the time being. I´m kinda sick of them.
I may grow a white widow which is on the short side but I don´t really mind topping the plants that much.
The biggest concern is actually plant odour, height control only comes second :)

Cuddles

Topping outdoors theoretically especially if your cutting out your verticle grow space will reduce yields for the same age plant generally, it has to redirect it energy which slows it slightly, but I understand for security Its a good call to top, ide to with 3 gallons if your concerned about height otherwise less chance of them flipping to flower early in 5g.
I was planning on rooting the cuttings :) yes this will up the plant count but if anyone ie police asks I´ll just explain why I was forced to do it and hope for the best. -lots of school kids come up and down our road.

Verdant Whisperer

It'd be cool to start with a line of regular seeds not know for a strong odor, then while young select the plants with low odor stem rubs to continue the line and each generation select the lower odor males and females, and just preseed the first hairs with males that finish early enough. So you get mostly buds but can keep working your low odor balcony line. There's probably a line or two out there bred for this reason.

Cuddles

I think I´ll buy the 5 gal bags :)
I can always use less soil if I really want to, right ;)

Now I just need to get hold of the cash to pay the entire set up :)