What's new

WET VS DRY Trimming

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Man I never ever thought about washing my plants. I’m growing indoors inside a sealed 4x8 with co2 and I’ve never had pests. But I’m sure a few get in. My biggest problem is rogue cat hairs that I transfer while watering. Even though the cats are never even on the same floor as my room and I diligently inspect myself for those buggers I’ll still find one or two stuck to a bud. Very annoying. Hopefully a wash can remove those.
Anyway i just wet trimmed my harvest and as an experiment I left one plant hanging alone in another room to be dry trimmed. The first couple days the wet trimmed bud reeked like hay and the “control” plant left alone did barely.
6 days into drying and the wet trim has lost a lot of the hay smell while the control plant just effing stinks like bud, no hay smell. I’m already leaning hard towards dry trimming from now on but I’m very curious to see the finished comparison.
:canabis:
So the dry trim won, that's great, but no surprise. This thread is nine years old, and folks are still peeping in.
SPOILER ALERT for you other people checking out this thread for the first time - you don't have to read 35 pages of this thread, dry trimming wins.

lemonade

Veteran
So the dry trim won, that's great, but no surprise. This thread is nine years old, and folks are still peeping in.
SPOILER ALERT for you other people checking out this thread for the first time - you don't have to read 35 pages of this thread, dry trimming wins.

What does “wins” in this sense mean exactly?

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
Wet trimming for me... because when dry, leafs often stick at the buds so i find it easier to cut when the wet leafs stand up. Like it was made for it. :biggrin: And no problem with good scissors. 👌I also like to do the work immediately.

lemonade

Veteran
IMO wet trimming is faster as everything is swollen and more accessible if you will. Also a lot easier to see any rot or mildew or whatever when you trim wet.

Dry trimming trichs are flying everywhere i find.

These days I kinda compromise by quick trimming full branches while wet, then hanging and doing a final cleanup when dry.

Downside of wet trimming is you have to do it all right away. 15-20 mins after chopping and its already getting soft and wilty making trimming more difficult. For many peeps its more convenient to just hang all the shit and plug away at it when its dry.

Last edited:

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Downside of wet trimming is you have to do it all right away. 15-20 mins after chopping and its already getting soft and wilty making trimming more difficult. For many peeps its more convenient to just hang all the shit and plug away at it when its dry.
Yes! You hit the nail on the head with this one. One of the reasons I prefer dry trimming is there's no rush to get it all trimmed in one sitting. I think the extra foliage left on the plant when hanging slows down the drying process.

xet

People who prefer the pros of wet trimming could really stand to benefit by trimming the live plant a few days or a week before chopping the main stem.

Corpselover Fat

I usually wet trim. Dry trim is just too tedious and difficult to get all the small sugar leaves out. When I dry my plants the humidity here is often very low so it's hard to dry branches or whole plants slow enough. Wet trimming I seperate the buds and dry them in card board boxes to slow down the process.

BlackSwampMexican

i just did a test with a Sage plant.. took half.. wet dried right wen cut down.. hung to dry.. and then other half.. left hanging no trim.. trimmed after dry..

ok .. the wet trim bud is way diff.. barely any smell.. needs a longer cure.. then the dry trim bud FOR Sure..

these are my results.. and ill never wet trim again PERIOD .. it mite save time. but it also fucks up the dryin process.. meaning u have to cure longer to get a smooth smoke..
I’ve had luck with both. I think the better results are hang dry then trim. Always seems to be more potent with a better smell.

BrassNwood

Veteran
Wet trim only what i can clean up before it wilts. They are 6 foot tall outside plants so this is going to take a while. I'll be days of trimming. Sunup to sun down. Me, the plants, a pair of scissors, a jar of denatured alcohol to clean them with and just get it done.
Slow and control the dry other ways as needed. It'll be 9% humidity come fall when I have plants hanging.
A few hours can ruin it all in those conditions. 24 hours hanging and it would crumble to dust at the touch.

Keep it in a 5 gallon bucket at night and dump it out into a trashcan lid for the day. Keep stirring it and feeling how soggy or stiff it feels. Once I learned to slow how fast it was drying all my issues were solved.
62-65% RH at the end of 7-10 days and it is perfect.

Last edited:

Corpselover Fat

^yeah. I dry trimmed buds in card board boxes. The box should be fairly full, but all the buds should move around a bit when the box is rolled over. I roll over the box slowly and carefully a few times a day and open it to air out the humidity.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
What does “wins” in this sense mean exactly?
It's the superior method, is what it means. The only advantages to wet trimming I read in this thread are 'faster' and 'easier'. I haven't seen anybody claim that wet trimming produces the superior product.

If you use wet trimming for your harvest, that's fine with me. There all kinds of variables that might make you go that way, including being in a locale with super-low humidity as someone just mentioned. Or maybe working against a deadline.

But I know FOR SURE which method is best for getting the best smoke. So that's what 'wins' means.

revegeta666

eyeroll-rolls-eyes.gif

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I do understand eye-rolling. That's why I asked you if you had anything to SAY.

Squirrel Master

Yeah so… dry trimming, it’s good. That’s my preferred method now. If I was growing outdoors I don’t know if that method would be appropriate. But harvesting in a room at 68f or under and then dry trimming has increased the end product substantially.

And for Christ sake lighten up Francis