What's new

The Time Machine Part I - Oaxaca, 1976

indifferent

Veteran
Indeed, that Colombian x Manali was one I wanted, and they had an Uzbeki as well. Apart from ACE and Cannabiogen and by the looks of it, Astur Jaya, all the Spanish companies are either money grabbers or outright thieves, I'm thinking of Dinafem, most of their range is comprised of S1s of cuttings from Mr Nice strains. If this was a regulated, fully legal industry, Shantibaba could sue their arses off.

Is that an Oaxacan from the same line I have or an Astur Mexicana?

I don't have a camera right now to take pics of how my Oaxacans are doing, but I do have these dodgy pics from over a week ago, they have grown a lot since these were taken.

Attachments

• SANY0835.jpg
    SANY0835.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 9
  • SANY0836.jpg
    SANY0836.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 7
  • SANY0837.jpg
    SANY0837.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 5
  • SANY0838.jpg
    SANY0838.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 7

indifferent

Veteran
Cool man, please keep us updated on your progress with that strain. I'll get some pics of my Oaxacans posted later when lights come on.

indifferent

Veteran
Excellent, I invite all growers of tropical sativas to post their plants in this thread, it gives me a base for comparison to see how well I have done in getting mine to fully express.

P

ptg

Very interesting thread,really!Suscribed!:)

BTW,i let you some pics of my laotian cut grown under hps 600.

P

ptg

26-27 weeks,could have gone longer but my skills weren't at level :ying:

Check the link in my sig if you wanna see more!;)

This said,i'm highly interested by your experiment,i hope you'll be successful!So i wish you good luck,seems you need it,yet the wind did finally turn :D

Fews questions if you don't mind;aren't you in fear to have high temp this summer?don't you think getting the fluoros ballast out of the closet could help?And did i read acapulco gold from dr greethumbs somewhere?:)

indifferent

Veteran
Damn, that is a very long flowering time. Two tips for making them flower faster:

1. Turn down the number of hours of light, start on 12/12 then after 30 days go to 11.5/12.5 then 11/13 after 60 days, then 10.5/13/5 after 90, then 10/14 until finish.

2. Cut out all N after halfway into flower, if you are using a soil mix, don't add much in the way of ferts to the mix so that the plant will have used it all up by halfway into flower, then you can just topdress with a little bat guano from then on. One reason I live coco is I can precisely control the NPK I feed, which is important with pure sats imho.

Looks like you did very well with her, how was the smoke?

With that massive floral formation, she looks ideal for hybridisation to something that will up the density of the flowers. If I get a good male from the sats I'm running I'd be more than happy to send you some pollen, Lao x Oaxacan would be very interesting, the Oaxacan yields huge and takes 14-16 weeks so crossed to the Lao, I would expect you would get some immense yielding plants and they should be quicker than the pure Lao.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Excellent, I invite all growers of tropical sativas to post their plants in this thread, it gives me a base for comparison to see how well I have done in getting mine to fully express.
Heres some of the oaxacan offered by gypsy outdoors in the mountains at a tropical location ..

indifferent

Veteran
Some crappy pics of how things are coming along. The large plants are the ones in coco, the others are all in a soilless mix and are growing really slowly.

The two large ones on the left are the Jamaicans, the other large ones are the Oaxacans, they are pretty varied, looks like 4 different phenos.

The two sacks on the left have 7 autoflowers in them, just an experiment, not expecting much yield.

Attachments

• SANY0843.jpg
    SANY0843.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 6
  • SANY0844.jpg
    SANY0844.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 7
  • SANY0849.jpg
    SANY0849.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 10
  • SANY0846.jpg
    SANY0846.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 10

indifferent

Veteran
Fews questions if you don't mind;aren't you in fear to have high temp this summer?don't you think getting the fluoros ballast out of the closet could help?And did i read acapulco gold from dr greethumbs somewhere?:)

I did have a pack of acapulco gold, but they got left behind in Holland. I am worried about temps, if I find it impossible to keep em down, I'll have to move all the ballasts outside the cupboard, in fact, I'm thinking of doing that anyways, should have bone it that way to begin with.

P

ptg

1. Turn down the number of hours of light, start on 12/12 then after 30 days go to 11.5/12.5 then 11/13 after 60 days, then 10.5/13/5 after 90, then 10/14 until finish.

2. Cut out all N after halfway into flower, if you are using a soil mix, don't add much in the way of ferts to the mix so that the plant will have used it all up by halfway into flower, then you can just topdress with a little bat guano from then on. One reason I live coco is I can precisely control the NPK I feed, which is important with pure sats imho.
thanks for the tips,they are always welcome!

About n°1,i did it,but not on time,lol...as i had a lot of hybrid in the start of the grow,i did let them(the hybrids + the lao) in 12/12 for 8 weeks,then i harvested the hybrids before switching to 11/13 for a month and in 10/14 until the end.
And about n°2,do you believe me if i told ya that she was in commercial soil( plagron grow mix)?Now i'm learning all i can about soil and additives.
For the coco,well,i did try it and all i can say is...i don't know.I did two run,first with north indian,it was fucking easy and gave overall good results.But the second time was a grow in hell...tried to grow some ethiopians during the summer and they turned out to have a lot of unsolvables problems(for me)...

Looks like you did very well with her, how was the smoke
Here is the smoke report:

"Potency is quite good,yet a bit lower than western standard but the quality of effect is awesome,really above all what i have tried so far...it's all in the head,like your on a cloud.A very warm,trippy,inspiring high yet you stay reactive.
Smell is quite sweet,clearly floral with a very slight lavender/verbena hint.Taste is similar(obviously) and very,very smooth!
This is the kind of weed that taste so good,with a social but trippy high, so you want to smoke it all the day!"

With that massive floral formation, she looks ideal for hybridisation to something that will up the density of the flowers. If I get a good male from the sats I'm running I'd be more than happy to send you some pollen, Lao x Oaxacan would be very interesting, the Oaxacan yields huge and takes 14-16 weeks so crossed to the Lao, I would expect you would get some immense yielding plants and they should be quicker than the pure Lao.
Thanks a lot,that's a very kind offer!:thank you:

Sadly i did not keep this cut...because i'm sure i could find a better one in the seeds i have left.And this girl also selfed herself,i end up with 10 s1 seeds...maybe i could find somethin valuable in them.And i also crossed her and her sister to a skunk male,because it was all i had under the hand.:no:

The two large ones on the left are the Jamaicans, the other large ones are the Oaxacans, they are pretty varied, looks like 4 different phenos.
I did have a pack of acapulco gold, but they got left behind in Holland.
I'm always amazed by how wide are the leaves of the mexican!and even by those of the jamaicans!I'm runnin an hybrid of Acapulco gold x Jamaica Blue Mountain(thanks to a kind soul ) hence the remark.I have no experience whith those lines so i was very surprised to find this hybrid having a very indicaish structure.But i'm glad to see that your old oaxacan looks similar!:)

Some pics:

I'm thinking of doing that anyways, should have bone it that way to begin with.
:good:

indifferent

Veteran
Hmm, Laos x Skunk sounds tres interessant!

I have grown a few Thais that had an effect like you describe but never have I seen one with such prolific floral production as your Laos had.

Mexicans often have broad leaves early on and in veg, it is in flower that they start getting thinner.

I think two of my Oaxacans are male, I see tiny preflowers but too early to be sure what they are, I will know for sure in a couple of days.

P

ptg

Well,i'm sure he will bring some good features like a better yeild(weight),a faster finish and more raw potency but i'm afraid he also bring some unwanted or dominant flavors and an anxious side in the high...

About the floral prod,i believe it's a lot conditions related.Yet the genetics play a role for sure.But in this case the plant flowered from seed had a really different structure,indeed made "thai stick" bud.I believe the clone + untopped + mess in photoperiod + repoting in fresh,rich soil all have played in favor of a mega bud lol.

It's true about the leaves,for almost every sativa lines,or at least a lot!And it's also conditions related,isn't it?

E

elmanito

Little Black Seed's from Reeferman

picture.php

Description
Blackseed is a mostly mexican IBL that dates back to about 1974, and fueled early BC pot culture. It stands as proof that strong
cannabis is not a recent invention. It used to called ‘the pound plant’ as it makes big sativas with big yields. Great plant for
the Kootenays, where it was first bred by hillbillies. It need lots of root space and makes frosty light green lemony nice sized buds. Old school sativa high. Great for Breeding.

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

D

draco

this is just great! old school smoker here and boy do i miss those mexi sativas... much respect for what you are doing here!

i'm using the repti glo (4) 26w in my grow... wish i had enough room for a controlled experiment with regard to potency, but i don't. kick ass pot though...

wish i could go back to 1970 and taste those old sativas again! so much of the boutique strains around nobody around here that i know of ever gets mexi. and you are right - even the better bricks i have opened produced a real sativa kick if you smoked enough. forgotten what it is like really - i'd like to take a week off from smoking and then burn a nice sativa joint - just for the experience!

good luck with your efforts! i'll be following along and enjoying every minute...

indifferent

Veteran
Ah, Blackseed, I always wanted that one, if it's good and you make f2s, I'd love to try it.

Hiya Draco, glad to have someone who's smoked the classics watching!

Those ReptiGlo lamps definitely work, I used one in my first little experiment and it definitely upped the taste/smell of the Oaxacan, without the reptile lamp, it just tasted of pine and menthol with a slight hint of fuel, with the reptile lamp, it was like pine needles drizzled with gasoline, just lovely.

hazy

Veteran
Scored a fat sack of Oaxacan back in 77. Can you have things like 'most memorable bag of weed you ever bought'? It's up there. Growing out the seeds landed me in jail for cultivation.

Good luck with the grow, I'f like to run some long running sativas some time.

Latest posts

Latest posts