What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

imiubu

I found trouble in The Speakers Corner during the first crazy days of c19.
I was reacting way out of character and allowed myself to get sucked in.
TBH perhaps I was looking for a fight, lots of angst back then.
Not just myself but emotions were high all around.

Was put on vacation and it snapped me back to myself.
I have been on many forums over the last 15 + years and never
had I been spanked before.
I don't visit the Speakers Corner anymore.

Why? when there are good folks here to chat it up with
and the atmosphere is friendly and non combative? :)

OleReynard

Ah yep
FB_IMG_1715632678170.jpg

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I'm right with you there... I was a mod for 20 years. It was shut down by the owner... I think he was afraid of the feds? Not that we were militant, or anything, but we were cutting edge in the PM venue. PM's led to preps, led to defense/guns, led to... you get the idea...

Moderating. It's a fine line one has to walk. My 'contribution' was to get consensus from 2 other mods before bringing down the ban hammer. It served the purpose of keeping mods from becoming 'gunslingers' for perceived violations. Mods can't take offense without others agreeing that "Yeah, this one needs to go." Before that it was the wild west at times. Folks would inebriate on a Friday night and a bar fight would ensue. Calmer heads had to prevail. "Understanding" the proclivities of members and moderating with grace and a fair hand was an important skill to acquire.

Some folks ended up here at icmag. It's how I arrived as well. Had some really good long-term online relationships that sadly "scattered to the wind" one might say.... Some, not all, of that data, information, history is in the archives now...
When I was a young man - I was a sorta moderator - but at bars and clubs - discos and gigs - working security - trying to diplomatically resolve potentially violent situations amongst mostly drunk and high people - and when I say 'high' it could be people taking any sorta heavy and/or psychedelic or pharmaceutical drug out there - or a cocktail 🍸 of everything or anything - not just friendly cannabis stoners - who generally were the least of our worries - but these people I had to work with face to face - and try and make it thru a shift without getting my face broken - or having to break anyone else's face - so I do have some diplomatic experience in the real world - and usually managed to survive - without getting hurt - for some years - but eventually there is always someone - or a group of totally unreasonable violent people - that manage to take you down - no matter what tone of voice or words you might use - and you either end up in hospital - or dead -

in my case I was kinda dead almost - (heart stopped thru bleeding out ) - was revived by paramedics with a massive transfusion - then in the hospital for 2 months to recover - when I was just 20 years old -

So moderating online doesn't generally have the sort of violent outcomes you might see in the real world - and better suits me - at my age 😉

Goldhedge

However the worms and slugs are a pain to mitigate.
I live at 7K feet... very dry. Also known as the Upper Desert. No slugs, worms, chiggers, and hardly any skeeters even on a wet day.
if it makes you feel better i don't remember either! it all turned into a blur at some point...all i know is since i asked to be relieved of mod duties i only have to do 1/10th the reading i used to do,and haven't read a single speakers corner post so the amount of idiocy i'm exposed to has gone waaaay down!
I didn't do that much reading because the members knew the drill and reported anything that got out of hand. Only had 5 mods. This place seems a bit larger.

Goldhedge

When I was a young man - I was a sorta moderator - but at bars and clubs - discos and gigs - working security - trying to diplomatically resolve potentially violent situations amongst mostly drunk and high people - and when I say 'high' it could be people taking any sorta heavy and/or psychedelic or pharmaceutical drug out there - or a cocktail 🍸 of everything or anything - not just friendly cannabis stoners - who generally were the least of our worries - but these people I had to work with face to face - and try and make it thru a shift without getting my face broken - or having to break anyone else's face - so I do have some diplomatic experience in the real world - and usually managed to survive - without getting hurt - for some years - but eventually there is always someone - or a group of totally unreasonable violent people - that manage to take you down - no matter what tone of voice or words you might use - and you either end up in hospital - or dead -

in my case I was kinda dead almost - (heart stopped thru bleeding out ) - was revived by paramedics with a massive transfusion - then in the hospital for 2 months to recover - when I was just 20 years old -

So moderating online doesn't generally have the sort of violent outcomes you might see in the real world - and better suits me - at my age 😉
Dang dude! "Kinda dead"?

What they poke you with??

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well - back in the early 70's it was mostly school girls and school boys that bought most of the vinyl records - that made bands famous - such a difference compared to the ease of availability to music we have today - one of your mates would buy one 45 vinyl record - and sometimes let you borrow it - so long as you didn't scratch it up - and maybe you could hear it played on the radio too -

- so listened to some pirate radio stations like Radio Caroline and Radio Luxembourg - to be able to hear music that was outside the top 50 - different stuff - music that wasn't controlled by the big record companies etc -
I bought or borrowed vinyl and recorded it on reel to reel.
It's OK i guess.
The lakes didn't freeze up like they should've so winter sucked.
Fishing ain't picked up yet, other than that forced to invent shit to do.
Only thing nice about retirement is you don't have a time table on shit.
Inventing new shit can be a fun past time.
Ya - it's been over 20 years now I've had to be admin/moderator - and referee over many disputes between growers/breeders/members and other mods and admins - and even I have been sorely tested - trying to make the right decision for the common good of the site and its members - ain't so easy sometimes -

- Still it can be a challenge - and to someone - you always end up being the bad guy - because you have to try and diplomatically resolve a situation - that invariably has to punish or censor one entity - at least - sometimes its both 😉 members - or a whole bunch of members that need to get sanctioned somehow -

But I do understand if a generally good member in good standing has a bad day - and is baited by some troll - or is in pain physically or mentally - and goes off the rails for a while - then we have to moderate with a softly-softly touch - and understand that it's probably just a one off crisis situation - so try to not get too heavy with the ban hammer - and just give them a few days off to compose themselves -
Owning a forum is not for everyone.........I was a moderator at a site for one year and ended up banned. I held one of the owner's friends to the same standards as the people he was bull bating, leading to an unkind posting by the owner.

I replied in kind and quit as moderator, at which point he banned not only me, but those who sided with my position for insurrection. The forum has long since died, as has the owner.

Been checking my blood pressure lately - and it's much more consistently good - than before the surgery to improve it - 124/65 - 67bpm - just now - this pacemaker must be working along with the Mitral valve fix and the left coronary artery bypass recently sorted - to give me more faith in my own heart ❤️ -

Something that kinda freaks me though - is that just before I was allowed to leave St Thomas's Hospital - a lady tech-cardiologist came by to check my new pacemaker - and put some widget/gadget on top of it - then adjusted my resting heart rate with what looked like a sorta IPad - so that it never fell below 50bpm - and there's me thinking that if she could lower my heart rate - then it could also be speeded up - (maybe by some hacker) - and so suddenly my heart rate could shoot up into the 100/200's or above - so beating at a VERY dangerous speed - so killing me - and possibly thousands of others with similar pacemakers - as a sort of terrorist event - maybe my imagination runs wild a bit - but could be a concern - could also be a great film script - 😆
That is exactly how John Rain kills one of his victims in one of Barry Eisler's novels.

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Who does the veggie garden. I plant it and she works it. We make a good team. When we aren't fighting.....ha ha!

Our backyard is aka the world of PM and Rot. A few mature trees block most of the sun and the fences and houses block proper airflow. We have tried tomatoes and I have tried three outdoor grows over the years - all with the same result. Bugs, budrot and powdery mildew. I am going to try a couple of cherry tomato plants again this year - which I can keep mobile in containers - but that is it. I am helping a lot more this year because she has to be cautious around dirt because of her chemo.

solace

Our backyard is aka the world of PM and Rot. A few mature trees block most of the sun and the fences and houses block proper airflow. We have tried tomatoes and I have tried three outdoor grows over the years - all with the same result. Bugs, budrot and powdery mildew. I am going to try a couple of cherry tomato plants again this year - which I can keep mobile in containers - but that is it. I am helping a lot more this year because she has to be cautious around dirt because of her chemo.
similar situation for me, I was using EM-1 for a while but it was too much work and not economical for me getting older... ended up having my better half fell some tree's I really didn't want to but it wouldn't have been possible if neighbors were closer, that got me the sun I needed... blasted PM still comes around in some areas though, nephew was licking some on a leaf the other day what is wrong with children

Last edited:

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
I found trouble in The Speakers Corner during the first crazy days of c19.
I was reacting way out of character and allowed myself to get sucked in.
TBH perhaps I was looking for a fight, lots of angst back then.
Not just myself but emotions were high all around.

Was put on vacation and it snapped me back to myself.
I have been on many forums over the last 15 + years and never
had I been spanked before.
I don't visit the Speakers Corner anymore.

Why? when there are good folks here to chat it up with
and the atmosphere is friendly and non combative? :)

just kidding just kidding 🤡🤡🤡

but yeah , a lot of the members on this Thread have real thick skin and can take t and dish it out

maturity does that

IMG_4343.jpeg

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I live at 7K feet... very dry. Also known as the Upper Desert. No slugs, worms, chiggers, and hardly any skeeters even on a wet day
Where are you at? I am at 6,000 ft above Denver. No chiggars! Thank Go
Owning a forum is not for everyone.........I was a moderator at a site for one year and ended up banned. I held one of the owner's friends to the same standards as the people he was bull bating, leading to an unkind posting by the own

Wow does that sound familiar! You watched it happen. Same thing happened on the Cabana....you watched! 10 years of baby sitting and the endless reading...and back stabbing.....this is a welcome change...

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
similar situation for me, I was using EM-1 for a while but it was too much work and not economical for me getting older... ended up having my better half fell some tree's I really didn't want to but it wouldn't have been possible if neighbors were closer, that got me the sun I needed... blasted PM still comes around in some areas though, nephew was licking some on a leaf the other day what is wrong with children
Every region has its issues. Growing season is short here. I can't plant my mateers until late May! I have seen frost until early June. PM...to dry unless you are careless especially indoors.

BudToaster

Veteran
Been checking my blood pressure lately - and it's much more consistently good - than before the surgery to improve it - 124/65 - 67bpm - just now - this pacemaker must be working along with the Mitral valve fix and the left coronary artery bypass recently sorted - to give me more faith in my own heart ❤️ -

Something that kinda freaks me though - is that just before I was allowed to leave St Thomas's Hospital - a lady tech-cardiologist came by to check my new pacemaker - and put some widget/gadget on top of it - then adjusted my resting heart rate with what looked like a sorta IPad - so that it never fell below 50bpm - and there's me thinking that if she could lower my heart rate - then it could also be speeded up - (maybe by some hacker) - and so suddenly my heart rate could shoot up into the 100/200's or above - so beating at a VERY dangerous speed - so killing me - and possibly thousands of others with similar pacemakers - as a sort of terrorist event - maybe my imagination runs wild a bit - but could be a concern - could also be a great film script - 😆
what anti-virus/malware detection is installed? there have been movies about that scenario you mention.

McAfee? (didn't kill himself, eh?)