What's new

Super Cheap Mass Cloner

hooooray!

hooooray!

Seeing this thread has really inspired me. I was having trouble with cloneing recently, so tried this method.

I was a firm believer in Clonex. But now, i don't use anything.

I used a container 9x6 inches, and about 3 1/2 inches deep. Filled with perlite and a couple of paper towels folded and placed on two sides. 200ml of tap water (i did'nt Ph to 5.5, so it stands at 8.3). Topp water every 4 days, but you can tell if there is any water left by tipping container. All you need is just enough to keep things moist. Placed in a propagator with the vents closed for the first 5 days. Roots showed in under 2 weeks. But i still use a spray, Jumpstart from Advanced Nutrients and when there transfered to Jiffys or rockwool cubes i spray with Formulex from Growth Technology.

I would never before done this. Let alone plain tap water. Thanks

I'm in the stage of putting my grow together - getting pots, fans etc, building cabs and trays..

Saw a thread elsewhere on how to make this, undoubtedly the idea was stolen from this cloner, as the thread i saw wasn't very old. I adapted it to use some packaging from some electronicy stuff i got as the two bottom trays, a spare shoelace, and one of those little clear plastic punnets strawberries come in in the shops(humidity dome). Just made this the other day and it looks GOOD. Plus saved me wasting money on a bottle of clonex.. FREE CLONER from scrap materials.

Now I find to whom I owe the the thanks for this. Thanks a lot mate, top info. Cloning is one of the things that worried me about growing - seeds are ridiculously expensive for decent ones here in the UK so i was going to have to clone. Now i'm not worried about it a bit. Muchas gracias. :D

Last edited:

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
krustytheclown said:
I have tried to make some clones and it just isn't working. Would you care to weigh in and tell me if you see anything wrong? The tub's dimensions are 10" wide, 13" long and 6"deep. It uses 9 tiki torch wicks.

The cuttings are 3-5" long, 12 cuttings total. I put the cuttings in a week ago and made sure there is plent of water in the bottom tub. Yet, there are only a few cuttings which have survived, and none of them have even begun to develop roots.

Just plain tap water is being used and the perlite doesn't seem to get very wet until the bottom 4 inches of perlite.

The cuttings are under two, 40W CFL's running 24/0 and temps are in the 70-80 degree range.

What do you recommend I do to make this more successful?

In my experience, Way too much light.
I would use no more than 18- 20 watts for those, less because I put my cloners in a mylar lined plastic tub.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Buddle

Veteran
I made mine.I ended up using some vermiculite(i grabbed the wrong bag at the hydro store) mixed in with the perlite.Everything else was as described right down to the tiki wicks.I got 60% rooted.I know it'll be much better next time.
My tub with the clones in it kept slipping down into the water.I rectified this by placing a plastic block in the water to support the upper tray..Thx again.Love this method.

2stoge

has anyone tried this cloner with sand. perlite cant be found in my country so i've made one with sand instead. after 1 day the clones still look good [no droopin]. i will update you guy on the progress next week.

ty h3ad.

2stoge

Works in sand

Works in sand

It works in sand!! :joint: :jump: :joint: :jump:
i tested it with some leftover sand from a home improvement project. after only 5 days i noticed a slight yellowing in some of the clones. i tugged on the clone i was met with slight resistance. curious, i pulled the clone completely out and was suprised to find small roots already protruding from beneath.

so i removed all 9 clones knowing it was too early but curious to see what id find. 4 of the 9 has roots. :joint: :jump: :joint: in only 5 days!

i will be cloning again next week and ill post some pictures.

2stoge

i tossed the clones because i didnt need them and this was just an experiment but now im wishing i planted the ones that rooted to see how they reacted. :bashhead: :bashhead: :bashhead: :bashhead: :bashhead:

clones from the bubble cloner i made droop for a couple of days after planting. maybe from the water roots adjusting to soil.?

wonder if these clones would do the same thing.

Last edited:

Grizz

Veteran
thanks H3ad, been fighting clones for years, sometimes I would have great results and other times complete failure, your system is so simple and works every time.

liquid069

i don't understand the wicks?

i don't understand the wicks?

if you have a tub and you fill it up with perlite and water and stick the cuttings in wouldn't it work? WHat is the benefit of the wicks and am i missing something in the setup?

i like the idea alot and I would love to go for it but i just want to understand if there's another tub i'm forgetting about and where the wicks come into play.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
liquid069 said:
if you have a tub and you fill it up with perlite and water and stick the cuttings in wouldn't it work? WHat is the benefit of the wicks and am i missing something in the setup?

i like the idea alot and I would love to go for it but i just want to understand if there's another tub i'm forgetting about and where the wicks come into play.
Since the perlite is not sitting in water, the wicks move just enough moisture to root the cuts, while maintaining maximum aeration.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Tried ALL the other ways. This is the best way to clone.
I have tried with co-co, however, my results were not as good as with perlite (some stem rot issues NEVER seen with perlite).
However, I have noticed the cuts closest to the wicks root fastest, so ,figuring they want a tiny bit more moisture, I have been mixing in a bit of co-co lately to try to up moisture content a bit.
Plants will grow FINE in these(post rooting) for a LONG TIME with just a bit of nute in the water.
I have made these big with rubbermaid tubs, and tiny with beer cups, when a few will do!
Tried to get pic of my beer cup cloner, my camera seems fucked, I'll try later.
Beer cup cloner is a beer cup with a wick and perlite, nested in a water glass that allows enough space at the bottom for a reservoir of water.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts