What's new

SnowHigh Seeds Coco Loco (Acapulco Gold x Colombian Punto Rojo)

ScythianGold

Bad news. The 2 males are throwing pistils. So 3 hermies. 1 is already culled. Really ruins my plan to make seeds with a male as they are all herms. Not too confident the 1 female won't throw nanners at some point either. These are showing intersex traits like right away in flowering. I don't see how Snow High could sell seeds like that. This is not late stage nanners. 3/4 seeds hermed like a few weeks after showing sex. Maybe it was my mistake having them in 1 gallon pots??? I just repotted to 5 gallons and they didn't look badly rootbound at all. I will post pictures of all of this. I have taken clones of all of them so what do people think I should do??? Try the clones in the 5 gallon and see if they herm too? Just keep the female and cross with Zacateca Tribute? Breed with the herms anyway to keep the line pure then try to breed out intersex traits later??? Any advice is welcome.

ScythianGold

Also, I got 4/4 Zacateca seeds to germ. They sprouted but root seems stunted. One seed wouldn't pop, after about 3-4 days, today when I checked it the entire thing, cotelydons w/ little root had exploded out of the seed and was all by itself next to the seed casing. Planted it. The other 3 popped normally but root seems stunted. Cotyledons going green so that's a good sign. This was the last pack I believe, after I bought it the Zacatecas were sold out. Seems my luck has hit a bad streak...But my outdoor plants are hanging in there after the wind damage. Pulga valley landrace seeds are doing great, slow to flower but no herms. SSSC Skunk#1 x Balkh landrace afghans are packing. That cross is going to create monster plants.

ScythianGold

Here you can see the roots on the cocos when I transplanted. Doesn't look like it should cause much stress to me but I have grown semiauto before and know that tight root space can induce flowering and possible hermies?? but I've never had a hermie before. You can also see the pistils and male flowers together.

Attachments

• Sept17cocos1.jpg
    Sept17cocos1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 46
  • Sept17cocos7.jpg
    Sept17cocos7.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • Sept17cocos6.jpg
    Sept17cocos6.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • Sept17cocos5.jpg
    Sept17cocos5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • Sept17cocos4.jpg
    Sept17cocos4.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 45

ScythianGold

Here you can see the little Zacateca that exploded out of the seed case and is just floating in the water all by itself. The cotyledons have turned green and hopefully it grows and survives.

Attachments

• Sept17cocos3.jpg
    Sept17cocos3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39

ScythianGold

These are my outdoor plants. These are the farthest along Pulga valley plant. Was ~15 ft tall before a windstorm knocked it down. Now it is several large stalks propped up horizontally off the ground. Just starting to pack.

Attachments

• Sept17others1.jpg
    Sept17others1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
  • Sept17others4.jpg
    Sept17others4.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:

ScythianGold

These are the SSSC Skunk x Balkh afghan landrace plants. 2 different plants from 2 different fem seeds. One on left is fatter and smells like slightly fruity hash. One on right is more skunky. These also got clobbered by a storm with several large broken branches. Only the plant on the left had no broken branches. That is shaping up to be my favorite though it was the slowest vegger. These were freebies from Khalifa Genetics.

Attachments

• Sept17others3.jpg
    Sept17others3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • Sept17others2.jpg
    Sept17others2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:

ScythianGold

These are Persian prince (cheese x uzbek landrace). About a week or two behind the others, really not packing yet.

Attachments

• Sept17pp2.jpg
    Sept17pp2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • Sept17pp1.jpg
    Sept17pp1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 34

ScythianGold

Oh yea, I pulled all the males(all pulga valley strain) yesterday. They hadn't dropped much pollen yet but I could see some seeds growing on most plants. Just don't think seeds will have time to develop after this and I will probably have enough seeds at this point. Pulga valley plants are SOOOO slow to flower, the males had tons of pollen sacs but not many had opened. Really a bad trait as far as I'm concerned for my climate. Will be fun to see how long they will survive.

Here are some pics of what the Pulgas are supposed to be able to withstand. Strain description:

"Incredibly tolerant to cold and moisture these cultivars have documented to grow for upto a month and more covered in snow and icicles ."

Attachments

• Pulga3.png
    Pulga3.png
    244.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Pulga2.png
    Pulga2.png
    281.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Pulga1.png
    Pulga1.png
    336.8 KB · Views: 39

Hempy McNoodle

@goingrey @Hempy McNoodle any advice on what to do about my hermie situation???
Well, I think it is common for hermy males to show pistils early and females to show hermy flowers a bit later. What you do depends on what your goal is with them. If you just want to secure your own supply of seeds for a type of bud that you really like, I think it is okay to use that pollen to preserve seeds for yourself (you wouldn't need much pollen for that). Otherwise, I would not use it. It would not be good to breed with or cross. Do you have any other pollen you can use to make an interesting cross (Zacatecas?)? Otherwise, just call it a loss. You win some, you lose some. But at least you can get some good sensimilla out of it.

I preserved my Double Acapulco Gold with a hermie male and also my Colombian Gold 1972. I can still pull 100% females. You will not find any non-hermie males, though.

Piff_cat

Here you can see the roots on the cocos when I transplanted. Doesn't look like it should cause much stress to me but I have grown semiauto before and know that tight root space can induce flowering and possible hermies?? but I've never had a hermie before. You can also see the pistils and male flowers together.
i dont think you did anything wrong the males throwing pistils can be expected in primal nld lines. its left over from monoecious as the primal lines are much closer to their mono ancestors. this is the difference between a hermi and monceious. i would still breed with the males in fact they probly put out great progeny. in my mind the monoecious actually have extra ethylene which if passed on to female progeny is a good trait. come to think of it, snowhighs red stem a. gold line threw pistils at the end too so maybe theres a relationship there. the one that started as varigated was my favorite

Hempy McNoodle

Maybe a good thing to do would be to very lightly pollenate with it. And that way you've got seeds. You can always search for females and can still breed with them or cross them. But, not pollinating will get you no seeds.

ScythianGold

I've got no more CocoLoco seeds and all the males I have are hermies. I killed the most hermie one even though it smelled really interesting. I will cull all the other flowering females in the tent, breed only CocoLoco to Cocoloco, then kill the hermie cocoloco males and pollinate the female cocoloco on other branches with Zacateca male pollen. That is my plan,...I think. I will also pollinate some MAFF females with zacateca male pollen. I think that would make a killer outdoor strain for my climate.

Granola.

I've got no more CocoLoco seeds and all the males I have are hermies. I killed the most hermie one even though it smelled really interesting. I will cull all the other flowering females in the tent, breed only CocoLoco to Cocoloco, then kill the hermie cocoloco males and pollinate the female cocoloco on other branches with Zacateca male pollen. That is my plan,...I think. I will also pollinate some MAFF females with zacateca male pollen. I think that would make a killer outdoor strain for my climate.
Do you have a separate tent to move the current females into? Be a shame if you end up culling all your females due to some male herms.

ScythianGold

I gave some away. Kept 4 females in the tent with the CocoLoco female. Killed the herms. Will use a clone of that CL female to pollinate with Zacateca Tribute. I have 7 Zactateca tribute seedlings growing, one looks to be a runt that won't survive so hopefully out of 6 I get a male. Also, started 2 MAFFs.