What's new

Seeded crop, harvest early or let finish?

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
I was wondering why the buds seemed small this run. So I started looking for sign of bugs ECT. Low an behold I found a few seeds developing on each plant.

No Hermies on any plants in the room. But last run the peyote Zkittlez thru some nanners at the end of flower, they didn't have any seeds so I assumed they were just sterile nanners that some strains throw at the end. Well they weren't sterile...

So my choices are harvest early to save the crop from being full of mature seeds. I'm on week 8 figure let them finish the week an hope for all milky triches.

Or let them go the full 10 weeks an hope they aren't completely filled with mature seeds

I do not want seeds. In all my years growing this is my first time having a seeded crop smh

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you let those seeds mature you will have some extra feminized seed that will be almost like the Mother. I would think you are getting a better deal with the seed than without seeds. I have planted some unwanted feminized seeds that turned out to be better than the Mother. You hear stories all the time about a grower popping only one seed found on a plant turning it into something special.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's to late now so I would ride it out so whats left matures properly ( you want at least potent bud fromwhat you salvage), if you see seeds they already a week or more since pollination.
Just look over for hermies in this run ( if Fems 90% hermies are at the bottom 1/3 of plants) won't be from last run as heat/light would killed the pollen

moose eater

We smoked some sometimes-very-decent seeded weed throughout the 70s and 80s, so it's not a total waste at all, and immature seeds are still seeds.

If you're going to have seeds and plants diverting some amount of energy toward making them, you may as well have seeds you can use, provided they're truly not self-pollinated.

That's my opinionated .02 cents.

cfl...KING

Veteran
It's to late now so I would ride it out so whats left matures properly ( you want at least potent bud fromwhat you salvage), if you see seeds they already a week or more since pollination.
Just look over for hermies in this run ( if Fems 90% hermies are at the bottom 1/3 of plants) won't be from last run as heat/light would killed the pollen
I took every plant out of the room an checked for nanners. Did not find one single nanner on any. Last run every plant had a few but not a single seed in the whole 2lbs

cfl...KING

Veteran
It would be a shame for this to be considered swag. Looks like I'm gonna let it ride an hope for as few seeds as possible
IMG_20230507_210502288~2.jpg

cfl...KING

Veteran
I'm going to look over every single plant again tonight. Take them out of the room an go thru them too to bottom probably do some defoliation at the same time. I routinely check for nanners/bugs when watering. To the point I literally noticed the oddly shaped lump on a bud which lead me to finding the first seed. But I have not see a single nanner. Maybe while harvesting the peyote Zkittlez that had thrown nanners at the end some how pollen got left outside the room close enough to the intakes? I don't have filters on them smh.

The peyote Zkittlez we're a hit an everyone loved them, so the cross could be interesting.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I took every plant out of the room an checked for nanners. Did not find one single nanner on any. Last run every plant had a few but not a single seed in the whole 2lbs
1 little hermie flower can be hard to spot but do alot of damage.
I find that hermie like to hide in bottom 1/3 of plant at nodes or even hidden inside node where flower has grown over it so near impossible to spot.

Looks nice flower so defo deserves to run until end

cfl...KING

Veteran
1 little hermie flower can be hard to spot but do alot of damage.
I find that hermie like to hide in bottom 1/3 of plant at nodes or even hidden inside node where flower has grown over it so near impossible to spot.

Looks nice flower so defo deserves to run until end
When your right, your right. Found purple sacks with nanners on one of the king sherb ix which happened to be the plant right in front of the intake ports. Only good news is it is a beautiful plant. I did chop it Incase there's more that I didn't see that haven't opened yet. I'll upload pics of it tonight. Still have 3 more plants to inspect

cfl...KING

Veteran
So as far as cleaning the room, what products should I get to make sure none of this pollen effects my next grow.

moose eater

So as far as cleaning the room, what products should I get to make sure none of this pollen effects my next grow.
I'm stuck in my ways, for better or for worse, but my all-around cleaner solution for anything from fungus to pollen is a stout bleach and Borax in H2O solution, followed by a straight bleach and H2O solution.

As I tell everyone I post this for, the Borax will leave a granular surface effect, hence the second wiping down with straight bleach and H2O.

Old Piney

So as far as cleaning the room, what products should I get to make sure none of this pollen effects my next grow
As far as I know pollen after it's been wet is dead in a day or two at the most just spay with water and in a day or two your good .im real loose with pollen outside when making seeds I'm just sure to only be working with one male at a time per site so I know what I got .A few seed here and there is really no big deal. I can assure you it won't effect next crop your not dealing with Nuclear waste

cfl...KING

Veteran
I'm stuck in my ways, for better or for worse, but my all-around cleaner solution for anything from fungus to pollen is a stout bleach and Borax in H2O solution, followed by a straight bleach and H2O solution.

As I tell everyone I post this for, the Borax will leave a granular surface effect, hence the second wiping down with straight bleach and H2O.
What is stout bleach? I have regular bleach for laundry an I actually have a box or borax somewhere around here .

moose eater

What is stout bleach? I have regular bleach for laundry an I actually have a box or borax somewhere around here .
Mixed at a 5% solution, or about 6-1/2 ounces to the gallon of H2O.

You can go a bit lighter if worried about effect on materials; bleach isn't kind to lots of things.

There's 128 oz. in a gallon, so 5% of 100 would be 5 oz. and then about a quarter of that for the 28 oz. beyond the 100 oz. to make the 128 oz. gallon.

Roughly 6.25 to 6.5 ounces of bleach to the gallon.

You can neutralize the bleach with a good couple of wipings down with straight clean water after the fact, if worried about contact with things the bleach might damage.

My cultivation boxes are all built out of plywood and lumber, including the mother cupboards, with layers upon layers of good quality fast-drying BRIGHT white kitchen and bath latex enamel over the 25 years they've been in use. I never give them the straight H2O wash after the fact, but I don't know what materials your grow area has, either.

Mine are in an unfinished sheet rock (mudded, taped, and sanded, and floor and ceiling sealed with silicone at joints) shop with a concrete slab for a floor in the basement.

Ca++

Hope it goes well for you. If they fill up, you have done a seed run. I can't smoke the weed from seed runs. The plant puts all it's effort into seeds, if you have a lot of them. That's the issue we can't see. A couple is no issue, but you have slow development and enough to be posting. You may literally get no weed as a worst case example. Just seeds that are not feminised, they carry hermie genes that have expressed themselves, so should be eradicated from the gene pool. You are suffering now, so don't do it to yourself again.

This point about bad weed from seed runs seems to fall upon deaf ears. I have had 10" sticks make 100+ beans and 3g of straw. Side by side with others doing the same. There just was no bud after popping them all out. If that's looking likely, just chuck them now.

Edit: some more pics just loaded. They have tried to flower, which is good. The resin looks rather fine though, over them lighter green vegative looking areas. That really takes me back to the unpalatable stuff.