What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Remote CFL Ballasts..... Who has the skinny on these?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hey Bakelite :)

Thanks for chiming in. I'm still looking for U.S. dealer that carries the Very Warm White 2700K 55w bulbs.

Until then I'll be flowering under 3000K lamps.

I'll make sure to find a way to post the pictures when I'm done with this first scrog. :)

bakelite

Hey Bakelite :)

Thanks for chiming in. I'm still looking for U.S. dealer that carries the Very Warm White 2700K 55w bulbs.

Until then I'll be flowering under 3000K lamps.

I'll make sure to find a way to post the pictures when I'm done with this first scrog. :)

Hydro,

I haven't seen any PL-L's that are below 3000k color temp. I think that is as low as they go. IMHO 2700 vs 3000k isn't a big difference as far as the spectral distribution goes. The 2700k would have slightly more red and slightly less blue than the 3000k.

Do keep us posted on your grow though. Where will you be posting the results? I'm gonna be watching this one for sure.

-bakelite

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hydro,

I haven't seen any PL-L's that are below 3000k color temp. I think that is as low as they go. IMHO 2700 vs 3000k isn't a big difference as far as the spectral distribution goes. The 2700k would have slightly more red and slightly less blue than the 3000k.

Do keep us posted on your grow though. Where will you be posting the results? I'm gonna be watching this one for sure.

-bakelite
I saw some at a U.K. online shop and now I can't remember where and can't find it.. Bah! Anyway :)

I'll probably be posting it in the micro forum. It's also going to be a while as I'm most likely going to document the whole thing and then post it all at once. Tired of going through a partial grow that evaporates into no updates. :nono:

knna

Most manufacturers does them on 2700K. But its true than most shops only have 830 and 840 tones. But they are avalaible on 827 (at least from Phillips, Osram and Sylvania, i believe GE too), and some have too the 865 tone (for veg).

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Most manufacturers does them on 2700K. But its true than most shops only have 830 and 840 tones. But they are avalaible on 827 (at least from Phillips, Osram and Sylvania, i believe GE too), and some have too the 865 tone (for veg).
Hey Knna! ;)

Thanks for stopping by.

I'm sure I'll find a U.S. source for them eventually. Right now I have the lamps and won't be replacing them for at least 6 months. It can wait. :)

Tony Starks

I am so glad and appreciative that i found this thread. I am a first time gardener and was looking for lighting for a stealth cab and was searching for t5s but luckily found thread.

This will be the route i go and am just needing to start the building process on a cab.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Lots, specially about lighting.

Having Asperger as me, you understand it if i say you one of my areas of interest (obsesion) is light. But i dont feel confortable sharing it at this board. Im doing an exception, but since some time ago i almost only lurk on this forum, for the little threads that worth the read.

On a side note, do cannabis help you with the Asperger? Enhance your empaty? It dont work for me. (i know its more MP talk, but i deleted so many post that now im below the 50 post).

I have Asperger's Syndrome too haha!

That's too funny man. We both fixate on things apparently. I definitely do on technical details. I can't remember anyone's birthday, but I can tell you in depth how a wind generator works, or explain the normal composition of human urine to someone. Most people see little reason to learn these things, but to me it's like a sponge. I just absorb it as I see it.

Marijuana has helped me a great deal with my problems, though perhaps I would say not to look at it as a problem. It really isn't a problem. You're just wired differently. When you were born this time, you just happened to end up in a form that doesn't have quite the same tool set as most people do. This makes it hard for you to relate to them. How you have to overcome this is to analyze and learn people as a logical challenge. I don't mean stop thinking of them as human, but rather stop thinking of all things as what you assume them to be and just let the actual facts do the talking. Does that make sense? I know we have language differences, I hope I make sense to you.

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
Good thread, been considering these lamps for both my mum chamber and for side lighting, so it's good to hear of some experiences using them.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Good thread, been considering these lamps for both my mum chamber and for side lighting, so it's good to hear of some experiences using them.

Thanks.

The bulbs are 21" long but I'm getting 19" of useable 'element' out of them.
About an inch from the base doesn't put out much light and the ends of the loops really don't put out much.

All output seems to be nearly straight down, which is actually excellent. :)
I'll be redesigning my cab after this first run. I'll have loads of data to work with at that point. :)
(5 C-99 clones and a Sweet Diesel (Sweettooth#3 X Princess Diesel) :woohoo:)

paq

Visual Information; Graphs

Visual Information; Graphs

absorption-spectrum.jpg

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hey Paq! Thanks for the chart!
It explains why adding the Actinic Blue/White can make such a difference with veg.

Would you happen to know which would be better, Actinic Blue, White or both at once; as far as supplemental lighting for a veg/mum/clone setting for maximum growth?

I have Asperger's Syndrome too haha!

That's too funny man. We both fixate on things apparently. I definitely do on technical details. I can't remember anyone's birthday, but I can tell you in depth how a wind generator works, or explain the normal composition of human urine to someone. Most people see little reason to learn these things, but to me it's like a sponge. I just absorb it as I see it.

Marijuana has helped me a great deal with my problems, though perhaps I would say not to look at it as a problem. It really isn't a problem. You're just wired differently. When you were born this time, you just happened to end up in a form that doesn't have quite the same tool set as most people do. This makes it hard for you to relate to them. How you have to overcome this is to analyze and learn people as a logical challenge. I don't mean stop thinking of them as human, but rather stop thinking of all things as what you assume them to be and just let the actual facts do the talking. Does that make sense? I know we have language differences, I hope I make sense to you.

You make perfect sense :wallbash: :yoinks::woohoo:
Heh :)

Anyway, I find that when I try to do a lot of things the generally accepted "correct" way I end up needing :1help:.
When I plan things out my way, with the help of my wife, and she keeps me on task :spank: I generally tend to get things done well.

My biggest issue is tackling projects that I don't really see the point in accomplishing. LOL Esoteric time wasting can often far outweigh the benefits of any 'project', if I let my brain get it's way. LOL

Stick to Sativas :) Princess Diesel, Sour Diesel, Lemon Drop, Cinderella-99 and a few others have had the most profound affect on my anxiety. C-99 most especially :)

We're walking encyclopedias of various bizarre information. LOL

Maybe one day I'll get to go 'Home' :abduct:

paq

Hey Paq! Thanks for the chart!
It explains why adding the Actinic Blue/White can make such a difference with veg.

Would you happen to know which would be better, Actinic Blue, White or both at once; as far as supplemental lighting for a veg/mum/clone setting for maximum growth?

Maybe one day I'll get to go 'Home' :abduct:

Hey. I love spreading information around about the electromagnetic spectrum and the ideal wavelengths for chlorophyll. I would say the bulb that puts off the most purple and blue. white might be too long of a wavelength. Ideally you want 430nm and 470nm for veg give or take 10nm. I would suggest the actinic blue from guess, no research. White light is not colored...chlorophyll in veg want purple and blue light...similar to early spring....and larger wavelength in flower 640m and 660nm more orange and red, which is color of the sun more in autumn. Hope this helps!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hey. I love spreading information around about the electromagnetic spectrum and the ideal wavelengths for chlorophyll. I would say the bulb that puts off the most purple and blue. white might be too long of a wavelength. Ideally you want 430nm and 470nm for veg give or take 10nm. I would suggest the actinic blue from guess, no research. White light is not colored...chlorophyll in veg want purple and blue light...similar to early spring....and larger wavelength in flower 640m and 660nm more orange and red, which is color of the sun more in autumn. Hope this helps!

It does indeed ;)

Thanks a bunch.

5 C-99's and 1 Sweettooth#3 x Princess Diesel clones are vegging under 220W right now. :)
Roots have just taken hold and I'm beginning to see real visible growth.
I'm taking pics and should be able to post a grow log after it's finished.
(I really dislike seeing a grow log that has 12 posts from the OP, 27 pages and no finish! LOL)

Looking forward to playing around with more spectrum in the future :)
Thanks all!

wanted to put in some info on overdriven flouro bulbs they put out the same spectrum whether unning as intended or over driven, you just get more lumeness flux.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
wanted to put in some info on overdriven flouro bulbs they put out the same spectrum whether unning as intended or over driven, you just get more lumeness flux.

Sweet!

That's great news as I have a situation that just might take advantage of that technique.

I find it a shame that people still buy single and dual lamp ballasts when they can get a 6 lamp 220w Fulham ballast for only 8$ more.

Help spread the word! :)

Joey56789

55w PL-L or Dulux lamps are 21.5 Inches long INCLUDING the socket.

Anyone with a 22" or wider area can easily mount these lights in it.

What exact bulbs are you using that make it 21.5? Can you unplug the lights without having to remove the socket with 22" of room?

How is heat generation from these lamps compared to, say, 6 42W screw type CFLs?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
What exact bulbs are you using that make it 21.5? Can you unplug the lights without having to remove the socket with 22" of room?

How is heat generation from these lamps compared to, say, 6 42W screw type CFLs?

You might want 22.5". I'll have to play with it and see for sure.

Essentially the lamps hang down at a bit of an angle when unclipped on the looped end. Pulling the lamp out about a quarter to half an inch allows you to tip the lamp down and pull it out of the location.

42w lamps are inefficient already because you're over the 27w limit for coiled CFLs. They put out more heat per watt than 27w CFLs. 27w CFLs put out more lumens per watt than the 42w bulbs.

Because of the design, you're not going to get much efficiency out of coiled, self-ballasted CFLs in anything higher than 27watts. Not without a significant re-design or something.

That's 6 42w mini-ballasts in your box producing heat as well, my ballast is in another area. It gets hot but not so hot you can't touch it with your bare hand. The lamps are the same way. They're uncomfortably warm to the touch but they won't burn your skin or anything.

A simple 50cfm bathroom fart fan is keeping my cab 7F over room temp and that's running 4 lamps at 220 watts.

I also don't have any watts going toward producing light that's hidden by a coil. It's just a flat coil out and back, almost no lumen loss at all.

So far? Totally bitchin! I give them 2 thumbs up and the 11 finger leaf award. :woohoo:

The Fulham 220w Workhorse 8 ballast is only $39 from 1000bulbs.com. The lowest priced remote CFL ballast, suitable for growing, is around $29. That's a hell of a nice bonus (and ballast) for an additional $10. They also have hot leads for up to 6 lamps at once.

Joey56789

Thanks Hydro.

The 23-27w vs 42 are pretty close in lumens/watt, but PL-Ls blow those away.

Anyone know what the difference is between the 8 and 7? I notice someone else said they used the 7, and you use the 8. The 7 is ~4$ cheaper and 1.82amp instead of 1.80. There has to be some other difference, but the spec sheets don't show it.

It's interesting that it can run 6 bulbs. I guess since it's 220w you could run 6 32 watters for 192w total. I'm not sure if there would be any advantage if they are all going on the ceiling, but it would work if you don't have 22".

Latest posts

Latest posts