What's new

Remote CFL Ballasts..... Who has the skinny on these?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
If your cab is set up properly, you'll get great results with CFLs without much regard to the spectrum. The reason is that CFL's put out light that covers a lot of the visible light spectrum. (Look up 91CRI on the internet, for fun.)

So..... No matter what the Kelvin rating on it is, that number only represents a spike in that particular wavelength, not the majority of the light being output. Now when you get into expensive specialty lamps this will vary but for the stuff we're generally using, they're going to be good enough. Make sense? :D

Tanuvan

I am not saying it's not important, I am sure it is. All I am saying is I have seen amazing results that broke the "rules", and I question how important those rules are.

Ever see an all Metal Halide grow? Produces some real nice results... Hardly any red in it, yet still forms large flowers...

Yes, if you read what I stated...MH is within the blue spectum which is perfectly acceptable. It will target chlorophyll b whereas hps targets mostly chlorophyll a. But if you want any kind of yields...your light spectrum has to overlap with these particular chlorophyll molecules.

T

texsativa

Happy 4th.

Can someone please school me with these electronic ballasts? Any Rf interference?

Thanks

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Happy 4th.

Can someone please school me with these electronic ballasts? Any Rf interference?

Thanks
I haven't noticed any. I have Fulham workhorse ballasts and run one at 220w flat out and the other is running at 110w.

Then again, I only run computers here. No tv's, videogames or radios.... just what you can get through a computer and internet connection.

T

texsativa

Thanks Hydro. :kos:

The workhorse is EMI rated for business. They do make a racehorse which is rated for consumer, which I believe has to be <3'. The problem is the racehorse is only two bulbs.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I am soooo glad I started this thread!

Thanks to everyone who's added info and to everyone who's pushing to get them in the local stores. (Remember, just keep asking about them, eventually the stores will carry them.)

Keep Growing and Stay Safe everyone! :D

DonkeyPunch

I am glad to be back to the site from my 30 day ban for making a single post that made fun of Michael Jackson.

I am getting close!!! I have 3 fulham workhorse 8 ballasts, two of which will run 8 lights (440 watts) in my flower room. The other ballast will run 2 - 55 watt lights for mother plants. I have the lamps and the little socket things as well...

I went to home depot today and had them cut up 4 sheets of plywood into 14 diff pieces to make my huge ass cab, (The guys did not even charge me for all the cuts, and they did one hell of a job, I had to shorten two pieces by 1/4 inch, but the rest was spot on) I have the outside walls built already, still need to put in the partitions and shelves that will make my various rooms....

So in another week or two, we will see what 440 watts of pl-l, in an aeroponic system, will do to 9 plants SOG 12/12 from clone!!!!

DraGonReBorn

Carefull with the Sylvania 5600 55W

Carefull with the Sylvania 5600 55W

I have not finished reading all of this thread, and am a lurker. But I MUST pass this along. I ordered several PLL bulbs and a ballast from 1000bulbs. The ballast was backordered. I was just "dry fitting" the bulb to the socket when the curved end "exploded" on me. There was no power applied to the bulb whatsoever. The model is a Sylvania Dulux L 55W FT55L/830 5600K.
Please be carefull! I have contacted the Vendor, the manufacturor (?), my state AG, and the Consumer Product Saftey ..... Agency.

The "Outsourced" customer service for sylvania "hung up" on me. That really made me "unhappy". 1000bulbs was helpfull and said they would look into it. Sylvania, when I called a second time said they had no record of my first call. That is when I called in the big guns. I have hazardous waste in my home and their CS Rep Hung up on me. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I spent more time calling and complaining than the cost of the bulb was worth to me. Please take care!

Peace

Does anyone know what the best 2 tube combination is for flowering? got a small experimental box and it is most efficient with 2x55w pl-l.

Can get 3000k and 6500k philips in 55w.. best to go with 2x 3000k or would 1x3000 + 1x6500 work.. standard pl-l seem to be CRI 85, can get CRI 90 osram in 2700 and "960 daylight" but they're a bit more expensive, and it says they don't quite get the lumen output of the CRI 85 tubes

edit: i think i know what i need then the "ideal" confuzes me more.. lol.. The whole point of the experiment is to see if i can supply my needs at ~100w of lighting with these tubes.. struggling to decide between 2x3000k + 1x6500k 36w and 2 55w tubes.. on the one hand the 3 lamp solution gives me more spread and spectrum, but is higher wattage.. less penetration from 36w tubes? for a micro HD sog.. perp :D

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Can get 3000k and 6500k philips in 55w.. best to go with 2x 3000k or would 1x3000 + 1x6500 work.. standard pl-l seem to be CRI 85, can get CRI 90 osram in 2700 and "960 daylight" but they're a bit more expensive, and it says they don't quite get the lumen output of the CRI 85 tubes

Grab 2 3000K's for now. Use them for both veg and flower.

Given the choice, I would go with 3000K and a 6500K in veg and a 3000K and 2700K in flower. :D The more expensive Osrams will last you up to 2 years without needing to be changed. :D

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
heh 2x55w philips pl-l 3000k it is, i'll experiment later. Mum/clone is 36w 6500k x1 or 2x24w, one of each
I'm trying out 2 5400K lamps in my veg cab. So far I have nice short and bushy plants at 14" and I only have flat white paint instead of a reflector. I like but time will tell.

CloudNine

Thanks for this very informative thread I've decided to changed from a pc grow box with 4 26watt cfls to a 3 sq ft cab with wonderful Pl-L.

I'll be getting my supplies from 1000bulbs thanks to their low prices.

4 36 watt 3000k 4pin bulbs
1 55 watt 5400k 4pin bulb
Workhorse 8 ballast

ALL FOR UNDER 100 BUCKS INCLUDING SHIPPING!! :woohoo:

well plus sockets..
-Edit

So I should elaborate on the cab. 3 sq ft sounds kind of small, and it is.. but I rounded down. I guessed it was 3 sq ft but it's actually around 5 sq ft.

The cab is 3' 6" long, 1' 4" inches deep, and just under 4 ft tall. I hope to setup the lights like this:

-------- --------
......--------
-------- --------
The 36watt 3000k on the edges, and the 5400k 55watt in the center. This is going to be my flower cab.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
The cab is 3' 6" long, 1' 4" inches deep, and just under 4 ft tall. I hope to setup the lights like this:

-------- --------
......--------
-------- --------
The 36watt 3000k on the edges, and the 5400k 55watt in the center. This is going to be my flower cab.

That should work well. You're going to need to overlap the tips of the 4 corner lamps or they won't fit. The only concern I have is the base of the lamp in the middle. They get pretty hot. Generally you can take care of that by having your exhaust next to the bases so that heat gets sucked right out.

Personally I would probably run 3 lamps on one side and 2 on the other, even though it's not even you'll get a great run and be able to see the difference the extra lamp makes. The only consideration I would have is making sure the lumens/sqft on that side wasn't above 7,000. Don't worry about not having the lights positioned exactly even either, you'll find there's plenty of light there. :D

severian

This thread has been very informative. Wish I had run across it 9 months ago.

I sincerely don't want to hi-jack the thread and if there is another thread devoted to this question great - I havent seen it.

What is the verdict on the circular lights? While shopping for the Pll's I ran across this:
http://www.goodmart.com/products/1074591.htm
120 Volts
58 Watts, 200 Watt Equivalent
3700 Initial Lumens
2750 Temp
Medium Base
10,000 Hours Average Life
Includes Lamp & Adapter
7.5" diameter

Wish I knew how to post image.. But it has the same desirable qualities that the PLL has. Namely it is just a single circular bulb so the problems inherent with the coil are non-existent.

It plugs into a regular light socket.
http://www.goodmart.com/products/1074591.htm

Last edited:

algrow12

Will a Workhorse 5 run 3 36 watt bulbs or do I need to get a workhorse 8 to run 3 36 watt bulbs? I have a 70w hps right now in a pc 20" X 8"X 20" d x w x h and the temp stays 84 with lights on. Should I even be thinking of using the plls or is it just a waste to change the lights.:thanks:

Seattles_Finest

Thanks! just when i thought i had my micro grow figured out.. had to find out about pll's.. they are a bit harder to get than cfl's but seem to be so much better on many levels its hard not to go big and spend the bucks for these lights.. figure 2 workhorse 8's and 6 lights should do a 2' square.. I'll toss up a grow thread once i get it built and a camera but just wanted to say thank you again!